• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

(Quien Es Mas Macho) The Alien Extended Edits

Which extended cut of Alien rulz?

• Alien Appendix 2: The Virtual Workprint by Meedermow

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Alien: The Hybrid Cut by Leonenut

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Alien - Extended Edition by Mr. E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alien - Extended Edition 2 by Samrosenbaum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Only 7 votes, but Virtual Workprint seems to be leading by a large margin... ok, I'll take a look.

Is there no seeded torrents for the Virtual Workprint? Those of us on Alien Experience want to get it...

alreay got Alien Virtual Worprint.

just need to get hold of the other versions (HUGE Alien fan! got multiple copys of the film!)

beckmen said:
Is there no seeded torrents for the Virtual Workprint? Those of us on Alien Experience want to get it...

Maybe we can do a DVD vine to get it going. The torrents for it have been dead a long time.

How does that work?

I am trying to convince them not to buy it from asylum so some guy can make a profit off of them.

A vine works like this...

We start a list...

1. John Doe ([email protected])
2. Mary Doe ([email protected])

As you add your name you copy the previous list and add your name. I'll ship the DVD to the first person. When he receives it he will copy it, email or PM the next on the list for their address and send it to them. They will in turn copy it and contact the next person and mail it to them.

You just keep sending it along and all it costs you is postage and a blank DVD.

And no one is charging anyone for anything.

Ah. I think I am still too paranoid of sending or receiving fanedits via the mail. Oh, well. If I really wanted it that much I guess I would spend the time getting it via RS.

slightly off topic here guys. in the quadrilogy bonus stuff for Alien someone mentions a 3 or 4 hour version of Alien shown to i believe fox exec's. Apparently it was really scary.what happened to all this extra footage?

A lot of movies supposed have 3-4 hour rough cuts. Few of them surface.
I can't believe any of them have good pacing.

DoctorM said:
A lot of movies supposed have 3-4 hour rough cuts. Few of them surface.
I can't believe any of them have good pacing.

maybe, but it would be nice to see the footage :)

News of a 3 hour verson of Alien surfaced in 1979. But when I heard of a 4 hour version in the Quad set I really became curious.

rijir said:
News of a 3 hour verson of Alien surfaced in 1979. But when I heard of a 4 hour version in the Quad set I really became curious.

i nearly wet myself :eek: anyway, how could we get hold of this? why don't they always release all footage with sets collectors and special editions etc?

With what they did with Blade Runner I would love to see the same treatment for Alien by itself.

if the bladerunner set is successful i'd bet on a trend :)

usually profit is a driving force for these guys ;)

Edit: It seems the Beckmen and Mr. E versions are one in the same.

For others looking to understand the differences between these edits, here is a summary as I now understand them:

Alien Appendix 2: Virtual Workprint:
Pretty much a re-issue of Alien Redux (another fan edit) that utilizes all existing footage from multiple DVD releases. Upscaled from letterboxed to anamorphic.
Some of the added footage is raw audio recorded on set. Some alternate audio (lower quality and without effects) has been used (occasionally replacing finished audio).
Looks and sounds like a workprint. This is for the person who wants everything known to exist.
30 minutes in, I'm thinking of quiting because it's a bit rough to watch.

Alien EE (Mr. E (Beckmen?)):
14 minutes of added footage. All sourced from the Quadrilogy's 2 cuts and the deleted scenes on the second disc (converted to anamorphic).

Alien EE v2:
The above edit with an extended version of the cocoon scene and some audio/musical fixes.

Moved the cocoon scene to before the self destruct is set (considered the original intended location for this scene (* see below)).
From what I can tell the finished/polished version has been replaced with the raw footage. As described by Imdb:
(The scene) originally opened with flat, static shots of Ripley clumsily descending a ladder, now opens with a low-angle tracking shot of Ripley descending much more smoothly.

Alien Hybrid Cut (LeoneNut):
The theatrical cut was used as a foundation and most of the added content from the Director's cut has been added (minus a scene that shows too much alien too soon, and a 2 second bit with Jones the cat).
The cocoon scene is move to before the self destruct is set.
No additional deleted footage was pulled from other sources.

*While the cocoon scene may be thought to be more appropriate BEFORE the self destruct is set, in both the Director's Cut and raw version of the scene the self destruct alarm can be heard in the background.

Did I miss anything? I'll update this post if anyone has anything to add (perhaps I'll copy this to the first post for information purposes).

Mr. E and Beckmen's version are similar because there IS no Beckmen's version. (not officially ;))

Is there any reasonable way to get a copy of the VRP? Rapidshare is just impossible. Can someone BT on myspleen or did the exchange vine ever get off the ground? I would even appreciate if someone in the states would be willing to dub me a copy on a blank with an SASE because I've been trying to see this for at least a year!

Thanks, Rob.

BTW: I found the 'baum/mr.E vr.2 to be the most enjoyable of the versions I've seen (I have not seen the redux version). The only thing I noticed that could have improved it would be a sound effect layered over the door closing during the extended discussion in the dining room before the hunt. The raw audio makes a clunky wooden sound when the door closes which kind of jarringly gives away the unfininshed quality of the source. A little "swoosh" would fit there nicely.

I'm thinking the Hybrid cut could be my ideal version, but I'm a bit dubious about him moving the cocoon scene.

Can anyone comment on how it flows in it's new location?

DoctorM said:
I'm thinking the Hybrid cut could be my ideal version, but I'm a bit dubious about him moving the cocoon scene.

Can anyone comment on how it flows in it's new location?

Its just inserted, no special tricks or anything, but its a clean edit and makes more sense where its at. I also noticed upon rewatching the MR.e version why he would have had to use the original sequence instead of the cleaned up DC version, because ridley overlays the klaxon sound over this sequence in the DC.
It flows nicely, probley better than the DC if you've ever been bothered by its placement. Plus the original sequence is longer, so its got more Alien to love.
:)

Edit: I just noticed you may have been referring to the Hybrid leonenut version. I was describing the cocoon edit from the rosenbaum version.

I think the pre-DC cut of the scene flows much better. Because it's longer, and they hold on the shots longer, there's more Dallas moaning, etc the scene is just much more disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom