• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Plan 2001 From Outer Space

Thanks for taking the time to watch and review, Rogue. My intent wasn't really to make it a cheap B-movie, but just to take the piss out of it. Glad you liked the musical parts.

I guess what I was thinking is that it might have benefited from taking even more piss out of it and dramatically tightening up the non-music scenes so the whole thing plays out more like a music video.

If you are going to destroy something beautiful, it is always best to not hold back. :) Just food for thought.

Incidentally, there's nothing I don't love about the concept for this fan edit. I hope to watch it soon!

Great Plan for a lazy Saturday afternoon chill fest! Just curious how this version differs from the version I picked up over a year ago? This was very likely THE first fanedit that I watched that got me hooked. The 699MB (716,000KB) avi file that I have is dated 31/03/2011 and runs 80min 20sec-- "Frankenstein Pictures Presents - A Cut and Paste Production - An Adabisi Fanedit"

Spoiler Alert

Opening sequence- Poole jogging to Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger"
Closing sequence- Bowan's journey Beyond the Infinite with Pink Floyd's "Echoes"
Outro- Enjoy Some Bowie... "Space Oddity" (f2b)

DuSky said:
Great Plan for a lazy Saturday afternoon chill fest! Just curious how this version differs from the version I picked up over a year ago? This was very likely THE first fanedit that I watched that got me hooked.

No difference. Same one. Glad you enjoyed it.

TomH1138 said:
"Read along at home, kids. And whenever you hear the chimes, take another hit on your bong."
:lol::lol::lol: That was weird, and really, really bad. His version of HAL was just...bad.

Tried usenet but one of the rar files is broken or corrupted. I checked .info for the dlc file but it's not showing up. I'd really like to watch this edit though. Can you help me out?

I managed to get the file okay. So everything is okay now. Thanks for the edit. Look forward to checking it out.

Rebue posted on IFDB:

The musical pieces were really groovy. Kubrick's images and Adabisi's selections fit remarkably well; he's your DJ for this cosmic journey, and his touch is deft, aside from the opening sequence using the clichéd "Eye of the Tiger," which had me worried the rest of the movie would brandish indigestible music. However, excepting that, kindly refer back to the first sentence o' this paragraph.

The tunes range from rockin' to tripmellowy. And really, what better to enjoy some psychedelic music to than shit in space?

Sex, I guess. Well, no, I don't guess, but back to topic.

I agree with geminigod that the edit feels long, and it has a lot to do with the unremarkable bits between the music sequences. Kubrick's version had a purpose to everything feeling kind of spaced out, testing your patience, and his vision fuckupedly works much of the time, but this edit has so much flavor (be it jammin' or loungin') in its music, that the in-between parts seem superslow.

And that could've been avoided. Yeah, so the dialogue is wooden—some of the actors were made of dried timber—but the dialogue could have been excised drastically and still conveyed necessary story elements. Plus, those dronin'-on scenes were musicless, thereby almost inviting a snip here and there.

Dude, one bit of advice. The comments you made at the end of the edit. . . really, it's best not to say. If you're confident you've composed the movie that makes you happy, just let the movie do the talking.

The music at the end without much else—I found that pleasant and enjoyable.

Small, technical nitpick: the black levels drop abruptly at the end of the moving pictures and before the parting words.

Overall, this edit is worth a viewing for its marriage of music and images. Some of it is downright funktastic.

Thanks for the review ssj. Glad you enjoyed the musical bits.

Watched it tonight and was entertained. Was it a masterpiece? Nah. Was it a fun watch? Yeah sure. Will I watch it again? Maybe, maybe not. But it was cool. Recommend? Sure, why not?

(Didn't rate anything except Enjoyment because whatever.)

Enjoyment: 8/10

the musical parts were a lot of fun, adabisi. thanks for the ride!

Neglify said:
Watched it tonight and was entertained. Was it a masterpiece? Nah. Was it a fun watch? Yeah sure. Will I watch it again? Maybe, maybe not. But it was cool. Recommend? Sure, why not?

(Didn't rate anything except Enjoyment because whatever.)

Enjoyment: 8/10

Thanks for the review, Neg. I read it in Ned Flander's dad's voice, complete with bongo drums in the background.

I started my second attempt to download this this afternoon, and it's slow going, but I'm determined to watch this, even if it's on my death bed!!!

JetSetWilly said:
I started my second attempt to download this this afternoon, and it's slow going, but I'm determined to watch this, even if it's on my death bed!!!

2001bedroom.jpg

Well, I watched it....and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cuts were seemless, and the music worked.
An enjoyable distraction

8/10

Thanks JetSet. Glad you enjoyed it.

2001 is my all time favorite movie. I've been hesitant to watch this, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Might have to check this one out.

BladeRunner391 said:
2001 is my all time favorite movie. I've been hesitant to watch this, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Might have to check this one out.

Just don't say I didn't warn you...

Kubrick fanboys are advised to stay far, far away.

Back
Top Bottom