• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Pacific Rim: Serious Cut by ranger613

Updated:
tumblr_nduxcbBZ4Q1tew1ifo1_500.jpg

I loved Pacific Rim. I saw it in the cinema, and loved every minute of it, over the top acting as well. But like you, there were parts I would have wanted to cut too, and man you made them in this edit. So, to say Im gonna download this edit is an understatement. Im gonna download, watch and bloody well enjoy it, as it sounds like my kind of edit :D

JetSetWilly said:
I loved Pacific Rim. I saw it in the cinema, and loved every minute of it, over the top acting as well. But like you, there were parts I would have wanted to cut too, and man you made them in this edit. So, to say Im gonna download this edit is an understatement. Im gonna download, watch and bloody well enjoy it, as it sounds like my kind of edit :D
Thanks man I'm the same. Really enjoyed the original if not for anything else than it being original, something new (finally) that wasn't a remake or reboot. Great action, great music and just all around cool. This version is just a more serious companion piece that I hope will be more true to the core story. Thanks!

Well, I just watched it.......damn that was fun! Flows at a more faster pace, the edits you made were the right choices, no more Rob Kazinski being an ass, all in all an awesome movie made that bit better. Well done all round :)

JetSetWilly said:
Well, I just watched it.......damn that was fun! Flows at a more faster pace, the edits you made were the right choices, no more Rob Kazinski being an ass, all in all an awesome movie made that bit better. Well done all round :)

Thanks man! Really appreciate the kind words, and am very glad you enjoyed it :) Cheers!

Typing this as I watch, forgive the train-wreak of flow.

Around 5:00, the the thumping bass is clipping. I don't think it was like that in the original.

This continues till around 5:36

The clipping continues through for quite some time, actually.

The exiting animations put in earlier seems cool, but it also seemed very late for an intro. 17 minutes in.

@ 20:00, the little talk between Marshall and the congressional people... This has nothing to do with the edit, but I felt the entire coastal wall thing was stupid. Why couldn't the coastal wall just be the thing that's being constructed to slow down Kaiju? Why not just show the hammer head one busting through it like the kool-aid man? And everyone could just be like, GOOD THING that big ass wall was there to slow it down!!

So, if this edit was to be revised further, I'd say cut the unnecessary coastal wall bit pieces, and leave the construction scene, and the scene where the hammer head busts through it.

I think the coastal wall bits could be cut up to 21:06ish.

38:21ish to 38:50, maybe the sub-plot of Marshall dying from cancer can be removed? This small chunk also (conveniently) contains pointless talk about the coastal wall and how the Jager program was discontinued.

39:05 - more mentions of the 'wall of life', perhaps that can be taken out? Or the entire chunk of video there altogether?

Is it just me, or does the Kaiju that appears in Marco's memory seem waaaay smaller than the very first Kaiju that came through the breach?? I thought they got bigger as time went along?

I really like how the 2nd half of Marco's memory was integrated in earlier. It wasn't one huge long chunk of her memories - like how I was expecting - it was spliced in with a bit of other video between it. It came out really nice.

54:00 exactly, the Jager has no latissimus dorsi (lats). Nothing to do with the edit, but I had to say something. It just looks so unnatural, even for a gigantic robot.

1:06:24, The scene of the Kaiju breaking into the bunker. This flows really nicely and has some great CG in it, but I wonder if the entire thing couldn't just be cut? With all the other scenes of drifting with a Kaiju being cut, why does the Kaiju dig into a bunker?? Shouldn't he be pre-occupied with destroying the city, or the last remaining Jager outpost? Or... Gypsy Danger?

1:08:33 Surprised to see that the Jager fist starting the physics-balls is still in... Sort of silly but it's comic relief.

From 1:14 to about 1:15:23 is more stuff about Marshall and his radiation exposure. It leads into the triple event though. I feel that bit could be cut, but it could go either way. You could introduce his illness at 1:14 and it'd work.

1:18:42 - This is way, way out of left field - after having all of the other scenes of bullying taken out. Marshall calls Striker's younger co-pilot a lot of seemingly off-the wall names as he describes how he has him "figured out" and it just doesn't fit well with all the pertaining back-story removed. Maybe this can be cleaned up, while still maintaining the Father-Son talk?

Another movie issue: nothing to do with the fan edit, but how did that big-ass Category 5 Kaiju survive a direct blast from a 2,400lb Thermal-Nuclear Warhead ???? but the ENTIRE Kaiju manufacturing facility is just blasted to bits from Gypsy Danger's meager dual-core nuclear reactors???? MAKES NO SENSE! NO SENSE!

Overall, great edit. I feel it can be improved a bit more though, especially with the audio. It noticeably clips throughout the earlier scenes and in some parts it's fairly distracting because the audio is distorted. The cut choices were on-target, and the scene swaps flowed fine. I think a few more (very short) sub-stories can be removed though.

I watched this Thursday night and I was blown away! This is what it should've been all along! What the hell is wrong with hollywood that they couldn't have given the people what they wanted to begin with? i'm gonna watch it again and recommend it to my mates now.

yoshif8tures said:
I watched this Thursday night and I was blown away! This is what it should've been all along! What the hell is wrong with hollywood that they couldn't have given the people what they wanted to begin with? i'm gonna watch it again and recommend it to my mates now.
Thanks very much for the kind words my friend. I truly appreciate it, but the credit should go to del toro, who made a great film. Cheers and thanks again!

ranger613 said:
Thanks very much for the kind words my friend. I truly appreciate it, but the credit should go to del toro, who made a great film. Cheers and thanks again!

Yeah he made it, but he also didn't do a very good job compared to some of his other work.

wayne.workman2012 said:
Typing this as I watch, forgive the train-wreak of flow.

Around 5:00, the the thumping bass is clipping. I don't think it was like that in the original.

This continues till around 5:36

The clipping continues through for quite some time, actually.

The exiting animations put in earlier seems cool, but it also seemed very late for an intro. 17 minutes in.

@ 20:00, the little talk between Marshall and the congressional people... This has nothing to do with the edit, but I felt the entire coastal wall thing was stupid. Why couldn't the coastal wall just be the thing that's being constructed to slow down Kaiju? Why not just show the hammer head one busting through it like the kool-aid man? And everyone could just be like, GOOD THING that big ass wall was there to slow it down!!

So, if this edit was to be revised further, I'd say cut the unnecessary coastal wall bit pieces, and leave the construction scene, and the scene where the hammer head busts through it.

I think the coastal wall bits could be cut up to 21:06ish.

38:21ish to 38:50, maybe the sub-plot of Marshall dying from cancer can be removed? This small chunk also (conveniently) contains pointless talk about the coastal wall and how the Jager program was discontinued.

39:05 - more mentions of the 'wall of life', perhaps that can be taken out? Or the entire chunk of video there altogether?

Is it just me, or does the Kaiju that appears in Marco's memory seem waaaay smaller than the very first Kaiju that came through the breach?? I thought they got bigger as time went along?

I really like how the 2nd half of Marco's memory was integrated in earlier. It wasn't one huge long chunk of her memories - like how I was expecting - it was spliced in with a bit of other video between it. It came out really nice.

54:00 exactly, the Jager has no latissimus dorsi (lats). Nothing to do with the edit, but I had to say something. It just looks so unnatural, even for a gigantic robot.

1:06:24, The scene of the Kaiju breaking into the bunker. This flows really nicely and has some great CG in it, but I wonder if the entire thing couldn't just be cut? With all the other scenes of drifting with a Kaiju being cut, why does the Kaiju dig into a bunker?? Shouldn't he be pre-occupied with destroying the city, or the last remaining Jager outpost? Or... Gypsy Danger?

1:08:33 Surprised to see that the Jager fist starting the physics-balls is still in... Sort of silly but it's comic relief.

From 1:14 to about 1:15:23 is more stuff about Marshall and his radiation exposure. It leads into the triple event though. I feel that bit could be cut, but it could go either way. You could introduce his illness at 1:14 and it'd work.

1:18:42 - This is way, way out of left field - after having all of the other scenes of bullying taken out. Marshall calls Striker's younger co-pilot a lot of seemingly off-the wall names as he describes how he has him "figured out" and it just doesn't fit well with all the pertaining back-story removed. Maybe this can be cleaned up, while still maintaining the Father-Son talk?

Another movie issue: nothing to do with the fan edit, but how did that big-ass Category 5 Kaiju survive a direct blast from a 2,400lb Thermal-Nuclear Warhead ???? but the ENTIRE Kaiju manufacturing facility is just blasted to bits from Gypsy Danger's meager dual-core nuclear reactors???? MAKES NO SENSE! NO SENSE!

Overall, great edit. I feel it can be improved a bit more though, especially with the audio. It noticeably clips throughout the earlier scenes and in some parts it's fairly distracting because the audio is distorted. The cut choices were on-target, and the scene swaps flowed fine. I think a few more (very short) sub-stories can be removed though.
Hi wayne thanks for the kind words man and I'm glad you enjoyed it.. the audio thing I think may have to do with speaker settings. The bass is very strong, and I think that may be what is causing the distortion. I had the same problem until I turned off the "dolby stereo boost" in my laptop.

The smaller subplots like the ones you mentioned, yes in a super serious cut they would be removed.. but, my intention was to merely streamline the film, not alter it completely. You make very good points, and I agree with you, but I feel the film is more fun with a bit of cheese/cliche-- it appeals to the b movie lover in me, and Pacific rim is one of the greatest b movies ever made (it tried too hard to be just that with the silly scientist bits, which is what I cut). I feel it works as a fun albeit definitely b movie. Also, charlie day is not a scientist in this version, just a random guy (if you played this for someone who's never seen the movie, they would not think he is anything special other than a guy nearly eaten).

Cheers man. Thank you for watching!

yoshif8tures said:
Yeah he made it, but he also didn't do a very good job compared to some of his other work.
Definitely agree with you on that one. He is an amazingly creative guy, but sometimes he muddles things up.
Even this movie, if it had been a straight up version like this, would have been my favorite movie of the year by far.

Review left on IFDB:

I skipped Pacific Rim in the theaters, in fact this edit was my first viewing (BD sits unopened in my boxes). I can't comment on how this compares to the theatrical, but by itself it was a pretty kick-ass robots vs monsters blockbuster. While one could cut more, I don't think anything further is really needed. Definitely recommend checking out this cut.

I have a couple nitpicks though. Video quality was really nice, with just a little artifacting at times. There were instances of audio clipping (as noted by an earlier reviewer) and one or two audio transitions that stood out. And now I'm going to get really nitpicky, but the cinema nerd inside couldn't help but feel irked... the opening titles you re-jiggered from the end titles were nice, but out of order. Writers and Producers come after the production crew (effects, costumes, editing, etc.) and right before the Director. Of course, when opening credits are put at the end, they're in backward sequence, and it was obvious to me you just switched the Cast and Director credits and left the rest the way they were. Again, super nerd nitpick, but small details like that stand out to me. Also, speeding up the end credits looked kinda ugly, don't do that.

Regardless of the above, a very enjoyable flick!

A/V - 9
Editing - 9
Narrative & Enjoyment - 9

Neglify said:
And now I'm going to get really nitpicky, but the cinema nerd inside couldn't help but feel irked... the opening titles you re-jiggered from the end titles were nice, but out of order. Writers and Producers come after the production crew (effects, costumes, editing, etc.) and right before the Director. Of course, when opening credits are put at the end, they're in backward sequence, and it was obvious to me you just switched the Cast and Director credits and left the rest the way they were. Again, super nerd nitpick, but small details like that stand out to me.

Homer-yells-nerd.gif

Neglify said:
Review left on IFDB:

I skipped Pacific Rim in the theaters, in fact this edit was my first viewing (BD sits unopened in my boxes). I can't comment on how this compares to the theatrical, but by itself it was a pretty kick-ass robots vs monsters blockbuster. While one could cut more, I don't think anything further is really needed. Definitely recommend checking out this cut.

I have a couple nitpicks though. Video quality was really nice, with just a little artifacting at times. There were instances of audio clipping (as noted by an earlier reviewer) and one or two audio transitions that stood out. And now I'm going to get really nitpicky, but the cinema nerd inside couldn't help but feel irked... the opening titles you re-jiggered from the end titles were nice, but out of order. Writers and Producers come after the production crew (effects, costumes, editing, etc.) and right before the Director. Of course, when opening credits are put at the end, they're in backward sequence, and it was obvious to me you just switched the Cast and Director credits and left the rest the way they were. Again, super nerd nitpick, but small details like that stand out to me. Also, speeding up the end credits looked kinda ugly, don't do that.

Regardless of the above, a very enjoyable flick!

A/V - 9
Editing - 9
Narrative & Enjoyment - 9
Hi Neg thanks for the kind words man, really happy you enjoyed this. In fact you were the ideal audience as you have never seen the original, this is exactly what I wish the original was. I did not add anything, and cut out the most superfluous subplots. Kept the right amount of cheesiness in (the original tried too hard to be cheesy/quirky, forgetting that it was a giant robots vs giant monsters movie--that's quirky enough). Haha yes I knew the end credits would be an issue and I mixed and matched differently, I arranged it to the music (ie other than the "pacific rim" and "directed by" cards, the imagery got progressively more intricate as the music reached its zenith), but totally agree with you on that one.

Very happy you enjoyed it. An halfway through your consecution too, it's great.

Cheers,
Kris

Thanks [MENTION=4677]bionicbob[/MENTION] , [MENTION=30073]KobaKommander[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15949]That One Guy[/MENTION] for your reviews. Really appreciate the kind words.Cheers

Thanks very much [MENTION=9767]JetSetWilly[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17813]yoshif8tures[/MENTION] for the good reviews. Appreciate the kind words. Cheers, Kris

kris, i hereby dub you Bloat Killer. (though you are so much more than that.)

bloat beware!

Back
Top Bottom