• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Pacific Rim: Serious Cut by ranger613

Aztek463 said:
I'm definitely in the minority view at this point, but I like the opening credits. The music is awesome, and the graphics are pretty sweet too. In fact, it's because of those I would say leave it intact. Even the first bit is pretty elaborate, and ending it right after the title might be a bit anticlimactic.

I agree, the opening credits are freaking cool and that song is bad ass; I vote to keep it. On a related note, check out this 8bit version of said song, also equally as awesome.

Morgolking said:
I'm really excited to see this. I was very disappointed with how silly the movie was. I enjoyed parts and just didn't like others -- and with you going the "smart edit" route, I'm confident this will replace my blu-ray as the go to version to watch.

I didn't like the scientists or Hannibal Chow; and I completely agree the baby kaiju was unnecessary. I wonder if there's a way to show the scientists for a nominal amount of time to understand why sending a nuke down the portal hadn't been tried to date and also get the "dinosaurs were kaiju" plot twist, which I thought was clever.

Aztek463 said:
I'm definitely in the minority view at this point, but I like the opening credits. The music is awesome, and the graphics are pretty sweet too. In fact, it's because of those I would say leave it intact. Even the first bit is pretty elaborate, and ending it right after the title might be a bit anticlimactic.

If you do want to go the route of a simpler opening, I recommend doing simple text on a black background (or even over the opening shots). That way you're not hinting at something more elaborate then jumping ship immediately.

Its a movie about giant robots and giant monsters. Yeah, its Definitely gonna have the kickass opening credits. Yea, all the changes you mentioned are implemented. The thing I'm trying to work on now is the title-- Pacific Rim: Razor Edition; Kaiju Cut; Jager Edition; Redux; Jagerbomb

Any thoughts?

+1 Jagerbomb

986fc669ec7ab0388abce6c4716cbcd4.jpg

Another one for Jaegerbomb. :D

Haha cool! I may use it as the poster!

wayne.workman2012 said:
That post has convinced me to watch pacific rim tonight.
Haha nice! I'm finishing editing it right now as a matter of fact. Hope you'll watch the edit when it's released too! [emoji6]

ranger613 said:
Haha nice! I'm finishing editing it right now as a matter of fact. Hope you'll watch the edit when it's released too! [emoji6]
Oh definitely. Its been one I've waited on.

wayne.workman2012 said:
Oh definitely. Its been one I've waited on.
Thanks man. It took a while because the sound design is complex, and I wanted to get the flow perfect because I really like the original. It'll be the next edit to be released here. Cheers!
Kris

Realized why I loved the sequences so much-- NO shaky cam. Del toro shows you exactly what you need to see, framed perfectly with with excellent sound fx. Yes he definitely needs better scriptwriters, but visually the movie is spectacular. Other directors (read, Michael bay) should take note of how effective a steady shot can be instead of that shaky camcorder b*******.

The other thing is that in this movie you can clearly see where the budget went. That's why I don't get the Godzilla thing. Fine hide him for over an hour for the slow burn, but once things start rolling, why still cut away and cut away--was it a low budget indie? Anyway, two things Pacific rim got right- framing fight sequences and milking your budget to the max.

Hi wayne.workman2012, FE runtime 98 min, original 131 min. Here's an SD preview of one of the recut scenes (SD because Vimeo limits free users to 1 HD a week). Charlie Day's character is now supposed to be a random pedestrian, and it's his only scene in the FE. The other thing I loved was the ad-blasted city of Hong Kong (del Toro is a big fan of Blade Runner per the Dangerous Days documentary, and I think the city lights were supposed to evoke the same atmosphere)

Cutlist:
The biggest changes are removing the two mad scientists (Dr Gottlieb and Geizler) and the organ dealer (Hannibal Chau) from the edit. The entire 'kaiju mind meld', organ harvesting and baby kaiju subplot was ultimately unnecessary and slowed the film down considerably. I don't think the overt comedy worked at all, and served only to undermine the otherwise serious nature of the movie. Fans of these characters may be out off, but the focus of my edit was to create a solid monster movie, and it works best as a straightforward sci-fi action film without the complicated subplots.

Cutlist:
1. After the prologue, removed unimpressive title card and replaced with recut and reordered sequence from end credits along with Ramin Djawadi's theme to form opening credits.
2. Removed introduction of Dr Gottlieb and Dr Geizler in the elevator
3. Cut scene of Gottlieb and Geizler arguing in lab
4. Cut Chuck bullying Raleigh in the cafeteria ( In a movie full of giant monsters, we don't need a high school bully)
5. Cut Geizler's kaiju mind meld
6. Cut Stacker interviewing Geizler post-mind meld
7. Cut Geizler's Hannibal Chau briefing by Stacker
8. Brought the second flashback of Mako (which happens later during a conversation between Raleigh and Stacker in the original) forward to happen during the initial drift, so that the entire childhood trauma sequence flows as one scene
9. Cut unnecessary fistfight between Chuck and Raleigh (Jaeger-Kaiju fistfight later is more interesting)
10. Cut everyone avoiding Mako and Raleigh in the highschool cafeteria
11. Cut Hannibal Chau's introduction
12. Cut Hannibal Chau's monologue before the first battle. I left brief shots of a rainy and quiet Hong Kong night in to contrast the noisy battle at sea.
13. Cut Geizler running on the street to avoid the kaiju destroying Hong Kong
14. Shortened the bunker sequence to have Geizler trip and fall during a rumble. In this version, Charlie Day's character is a random pedestrian who is almost eaten by the kaiju. not some mystical mind-melder. The motivation for the kaiju to come out of the rift is not to look for Geizler, but to destroy humanity. This was just a bad subplot that was excised.
15. Cut Hannibal Chau and Geizler being attacked by the baby kaiju (this sequence was probably done for ?humor-- didn't really work)
16. Cut Geizler's and Gottlieb's second mind meld
17. Removed Gottlieb and Geizler from the final bridge scenes. Gottlieb can be seen in the background in most scenes but has no lines. Geizler is removed from as many frames as possible or blurred out when in the background to avoid recognition from the bunker scene.
18. Removed the 'genetic link' subplot where the scientists tell the crew they need to take a kaiju with them to the breach. Raleigh's line "You guys better be right" replaced with music and sfx tracks.
19. Cut the play-by-play commentary the bridge crew give after Gipsy Danger crosses the breach (ie. "He's giving her oxygen" while Raleigh gives Mako O2; "He's doing this.." etc. We can see what's going on and don't need a running commentary). The only bit I kept was when they say Raleigh ejected Mako out of the Jaeger because the hologram was cool.
20. Cut the "is-he-dead" suspense at the end
21. Cut the Hannibal Chau teaser at the end

All in all, the scientists are way over the top. You could argue that they belonged in the world del Toro created here, but they were not necessary. Charlie Day is a random pedestrian attacked in the bunker in this version, and Gottlieb is an unnamed scientist who's always on deck (he has one line-- "the creatures are adapting" after the EMP attack). Stacker calls out for one of the scientists on the dock after the first attack, "Get me Dr Geizler" but this may be a medical doctor as far as we are concerned in this edit to tend to the pilots' wounds. As much as I love Ron Perlman (and he had some nice lines in this) the character was way over the top and not appropriate for the story.

ranger613 said:
Cutlist:
The biggest changes are removing the two mad scientists (Dr Gottlieb and Geizler) and the organ dealer (Hannibal Chau) from the edit. The entire 'kaiju mind meld', organ harvesting and baby kaiju subplot was ultimately unnecessary and slowed the film down considerably. I don't think the overt comedy worked at all, and served only to undermine the otherwise serious nature of the movie. Fans of these characters may be out off, but the focus of my edit was to create a solid monster movie, and it works best as a straightforward sci-fi action film without the complicated subplots.

Cutlist:
1. After the prologue, removed unimpressive title card and replaced with recut and reordered sequence from end credits along with Ramin Djawadi's theme to form opening credits.
2. Removed introduction of Dr Gottlieb and Dr Geizler in the elevator
3. Cut scene of Gottlieb and Geizler arguing in lab
4. Cut Chuck bullying Raleigh in the cafeteria ( In a movie full of giant monsters, we don't need a high school bully)
5. Cut Geizler's kaiju mind meld
6. Cut Stacker interviewing Geizler post-mind meld
7. Cut Geizler's Hannibal Chau briefing by Stacker
8. Brought the second flashback of Mako (which happens later during a conversation between Raleigh and Stacker in the original) forward to happen during the initial drift, so that the entire childhood trauma sequence flows as one scene
9. Cut unnecessary fistfight between Chuck and Raleigh (Jaeger-Kaiju fistfight later is more interesting)
10. Cut everyone avoiding Mako and Raleigh in the highschool cafeteria
11. Cut Hannibal Chau's introduction
12. Cut Hannibal Chau's monologue before the first battle. I left brief shots of a rainy and quiet Hong Kong night in to contrast the noisy battle at sea.
13. Cut Geizler running on the street to avoid the kaiju destroying Hong Kong
14. Shortened the bunker sequence to have Geizler trip and fall during a rumble. In this version, Charlie Day's character is a random pedestrian who is almost eaten by the kaiju. not some mystical mind-melder. The motivation for the kaiju to come out of the rift is not to look for Geizler, but to destroy humanity. This was just a bad subplot that was excised.
15. Cut Hannibal Chau and Geizler being attacked by the baby kaiju (this sequence was probably done for ?humor-- didn't really work)
16. Cut Geizler's and Gottlieb's second mind meld
17. Removed Gottlieb and Geizler from the final bridge scenes. Gottlieb can be seen in the background in most scenes but has no lines. Geizler is removed from as many frames as possible or blurred out when in the background to avoid recognition from the bunker scene.
18. Removed the 'genetic link' subplot where the scientists tell the crew they need to take a kaiju with them to the breach. Raleigh's line "You guys better be right" replaced with music and sfx tracks.
19. Cut the play-by-play commentary the bridge crew give after Gipsy Danger crosses the breach (ie. "He's giving her oxygen" while Raleigh gives Mako O2; "He's doing this.." etc. We can see what's going on and don't need a running commentary). The only bit I kept was when they say Raleigh ejected Mako out of the Jaeger because the hologram was cool.
20. Cut the "is-he-dead" suspense at the end
21. Cut the Hannibal Chau teaser at the end

All in all, the scientists are way over the top. You could argue that they belonged in the world del Toro created here, but they were not necessary. Charlie Day is a random pedestrian attacked in the bunker in this version, and Gottlieb is an unnamed scientist who's always on deck (he has one line-- "the creatures are adapting" after the EMP attack). Stacker calls out for one of the scientists on the dock after the first attack, "Get me Dr Geizler" but this may be a medical doctor as far as we are concerned in this edit to tend to the pilots' wounds. As much as I love Ron Perlman (and he had some nice lines in this) the character was way over the top and not appropriate for the story.

Totally read the spoilers, sounds exactly like the kind of MANLY MOVIE I want to see!

And I watched the clip, it works very well.

wayne.workman2012 said:
Totally read the spoilers, sounds exactly like the kind of MANLY MOVIE I want to see!

And I watched the clip, it works very well.
Haha yeah dude! I only make edits that I myself would enjoy and I hope that you and others will too. Just rendered the final 1080p cut, looks nice.

^ You can still see the original text underneath the new text. It wouln't be too hard to fix.

Back
Top Bottom