• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Nirvana Turns 21

The song is that old? Man, now I feel like an old man!

Didn't the title of the thread kinda give that away? :D

Yeah, I just meant Smells Like Teen Spirit being almost twenty years old. I was buying Mega Drive and Amiga games then. Ahh, the days of floppy disks and cartridges.

Anyway, Nirvana. Can't stand them. Next?

I always liked Nirvana.

I can understand people saying they are a bit overrated though, but only because they only made three albums (4 with the unplugged) and I personally think three albums is not "enough" to really show all the potential of creativity of a band.
Some would said that plenty of bands should have stopped at three albums... but I don't agree. I like my favorit artists to have a long and complete discography, with ups and downs, to really show what they are capable of on the long run, and not just few good singles on two or three albums.

But in the case of Nirvana it's a bit different. They were the band (with some others, but the history will keep Nirvana only) that rediffined rock music in the late 80's early 90's.
With only two albums (Bleach and Nevermind), they threw a big "fuck you" to all the guitar heroes who really started to show off a bit too much at that time, IMO. They showed everyone that with few guitar skills, but some good riffs and plenty of energy (but also a kind of "I don't care / punk" attitude that will kill them in the end) you could make some awesome songs and concerts. In Utero and the Unplugged started a bit to show the big potential of Nirvana, but alas, we'll never know. I am sure Kurt had many other albums left in him. He just asked the wrong muses.

In some way Nirvana is what Rap music also was at that time: they both were music that people could say "Hey I can also do that! Awesome, let start a band! It's not difficult". Really kind of like the Sex Pistols and the Punk movement more than a decade before. Only this time it stayed a bit longuer.
Music is often a reaction movement: too much 70's progressive rock = Punk = guitare heroes = Grunge = Rap Metal = return of 60's rock etc...

Of course being a great band is not that easy, but they showed the way to many future musicians who maybe would have been to afraid to grab a guitare and start playing because they did not think they had the skills.

I will end with a quote of Kurt Cobain (or what I remember of that quote):
"Even if you only know two guitare chords: you have to play them well."

Could you have not put all that into one post?

^You can put more than one video per post you know. That's what n0mArch was saying.

Stone Temple Pilots: Core- turns 20 today
Alice In Chains: Dirt- turns 20 today

Back
Top Bottom