• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

music fanedits

yeah I guess you are right, but I have almost always associated some level of techno with remixes.

Well, In my case, I'm adding songs from other albums, which would be like adding scenes from other films. So in that case, it would be considered a fanedit.

I am not trying to be picky here, just interested in the subject, but I think its more of the parallel to a "custom DVD" and not a "fanedit" you arent mixing the music into other music, merely creating a custom tracklist. Much as creating a DVD with a mixture of different titles.

I do see how it may be a totally new experience, and think its cool that you are doing this. I am just interested to see if anyone has really tried editing the music for a new experience. Like some fanedits, where outside source material is brought in, or certain elements are removed or suppressed?

either way, thanks for sharing the info on the creations you have made :) very interesting

I finally did an album edit. Boston is my favorite band, and I like almost everything they've done, but even for me, Corporate America has some serious flaws.

So I started removing different songs to see which ones really bothered me. Eventually I ended up removing the one live track, and three tracks that were fairly "happy" (lots of major chords & uplifting lyrics/vocals) leaving only the songs with dark tones & some dissonance for a 28 minute "EP" version of the album.

I'm very happy with the result. It contrasts the rest of Boston (in more ways than one - it's the only digitally recorded album, and it had an overcompression problem removing fidelity), and I can listen to the whole thing with enjoyment.

boston??? omg that's my dad's favorite band. you don't like air supply, too, do you? :) (kidding!)

"remix" would be the correct term per track, but something like "fanedit" could be a correct term for the album. just like "mixtape" implies a collection of songs/samples/etc. but not necessarily edited.

Being a rock fan has been very difficult of late (as there's Sweet F.A to listen to :evil:) so I've resorted to editing some stuff just to give me something new to listen to. (How desperate is that :().

Anyway here's what I did with Oasis- Be Here Now.
Original
1. "D'You Know What I Mean?" â€" 7:44
2. "My Big Mouth" â€" 5:02
3. "Magic Pie" â€" 7:19
4. "Stand by Me" â€" 5:56
5. "I Hope, I Think, I Know" - 4:22
6. "The Girl in the Dirty Shirt" â€" 5:49
7. "Fade In-Out" â€" 6:52
8. "Don't Go Away" â€" 4:48
9. "Be Here Now" â€" 5:13
10. "All Around the World" â€" 9:20
11. "It's Gettin' Better (Man!!)" â€" 7:00
12. "All Around the World (Reprise)" â€" 2:08
Total Time 71mins

Edited
1. "D'You Know What I Mean?" â€" 4:49
2. "Stay Young" (Be Here Now B-Side) - 5:05
3. "Going Nowhere" (Be Here Now B-Side) - 4:40
4. "Stand by Me" â€" 4:49
5. "The Girl in the Dirty Shirt" â€" 4:36
6. "Fade In-Out" â€" 5:46
7. "Don't Go Away" â€" 4:06
8. "It's Gettin' Better (Man!!)" â€" 5:12
9. "Be Here Now" â€" 5:11
10. "All Around the World" â€" 6:47
Total Time 51mins

As you can see I managed to knock off about 20mins of filler, which isn't bad. :smile:

Finally here's what I managed with The Verve - Forth
Original
1. "Sit and Wonder" - 6:52
2. "Love Is Noise" - 5:29
3. "Rather Be" - 5:38
4. "Judas" - 6:19
5. "Numbness" - 6:35
6. "I See Houses" - 5:37
7. "Noise Epic" - 8:14
8. "Valium Skies" - 4:34
9. "Columbo" - 7:30
10. "Appalachian Springs" - 7:34
Total Time 64mins

Edited
1. "Sit and Wonder" - 6:52
2. "Mover" (Forth Bonus Track) - 5:53
3. "Ma Ma Soul" (Forth Bonus Track) - 5:45
4. "Love Is Noise" - 5:29
5. "Noise Epic" - 8:14
6. "Valium Skies" - 4:34
7. "Muhammad Ali" (Forth Bonus Track) - 6:26
8. "Appalachian Springs" - 7:34
Total Time 47mins

Again that's nearly 20mins of filler removed. Why do bands insist on making boring over produced epics? It's like they don't know how to write anything new so they just rewrite their old stuff, only difference being they make the songs longer & over produced. O well.

This is interesting. I've replaced the drums, in a sense, on a few tracks- most recently Joan Jett's version of "Crimson and Clover". I basically laid a more natural snare sound over the dated 80's one. It changed the whole song. I also tried to even out the tempo as it was all over the place.

I haven't heard St Anger- are all the drum sounds bad or it is primarily the snare? Ususally that's the case as it's the most prominent drum. If so, it *might* be possible to fix the drum sound at least somewhat. I will warn anyone attempting this though- it will take A LOT of time

Anyone tried this? I don't mean mashups or DJing, but taking albums/songs you don't like and altering it to something you'd want to listen to.

I never liked Metallica's Black Album all that much - I'm more a fan of their thrash era - but I always wondered what could have been if they hadn't gone for a more commercial sound.

I played around with the tracks in Audacity. I increased the tempo by 10-40% depending on the track, lost the 2 ballads and clipped the intros to a few of the tracks. It's not perfect, but I ended up with what I think the Black Album should have sounded like. If anyone's interested there's a FLAC and mp3 torrent of it on thepiratebay now.

Has anyone else tried this?

I increased the tempo by 10-40% depending on the track, lost the 2 ballads and clipped the intros to a few of the tracks.
I am definitely going to look into that.

merged with other music fanedit topic. so, yes, this has been thought up before... As I mentioned before, I really want to edit the Mars Volta - Frances the Mute sometime. Way too much experimental noise.

As far as Metallica edits. I dont think much could get me to listen to them anymore. Even the songs I used to like a lot are lost beneath my utter loathing of the band.

Since we don't have a Q&A section I hope it's okay to ask this here.

1. I fully understand and respect the "no distribution mentioning" rule but what about online sources? When researching my projects I always look for videos on YouTube and various forums that might be of use to me but what if I find a video or videos posted somewhere online that might be of use to somebody else's project(s)? Can I post the links to the videos? I assume it's okay to post the links if they're YouTube videos but what if I find the links on some forum?

2. Where do we stand on workprints? Since they're never officially release, with the exception of Blade Runner, is it alright to have them posted here or can we only post DVD's that we've actually created ourselves?

But what about videos found on forums? For example a while back I found several tv appearances and specials in 1080p for the latest Harry Potter movie on another forum, the specials were on an HD tracker. The videos were untouched, still .ts files, split with WinRar and uploaded to Rapidshare. Would it be alright to post the direct links for those videos or would it be better to keep it private throught PM? Just for the record though I found them a while back and already sent them to Throw via PM on FE but I just want to know if it's okay to post the actual links here for future reference.

ThrowgnCpr said:
As far as Metallica edits. I dont think much could get me to listen to them anymore. Even the songs I used to like a lot are lost beneath my utter loathing of the band.

This perfectly sums up my feelings towards the band...

ThrowgnCpr said:
I would love to hear a version of the Mars Volta - Frances the Mute without all the ridiculous sound effects. Don't get me wrong, I like it to a point, but they went wayyyyyyy overboard. Deloused in the Comatorium was much better as far as experimental stuff goes. It should be rather easy to chop this experimental sound back for Frances the Mute. Maybe I'll give it a try someday.

I have their albums... let me see what I can serve up...

If you're talking about mashups, check out the stuff from Wax Audio.

Enter You (Bryan Adams / Metallica):

Thunder Busters (Ray Parker J. / AC/DC):

Back
Top Bottom