• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Meeting up in the real world

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those that don't know, I am currently travelling with the lovely wife across the lovely US of A, and have had the great opportunity to meet a few members of this brilliant little community along the way, all of whom have been very welcoming and excellent hosts in their respective cities. So big props to ssj, neglify, geminigod and l8wrtr. In summary, you are all excellent and it was awesome to realise that you are as fun to hang out with in person as you are to chat with in this slightly less than real environment online.

This is a rare crew, and I don't imagine having the slightest interest meeting up with strange internet folk from other strange non-fanediting websites (seriously, what do they talk about on other sites anyway?). And admittedly the wife took some convincing, as she had a sneaking suspicion that anyone who posts online must immediately be some sort of homicidal rapist. And yes, Neg, certain photos may not have helped suggest otherwise. But i digress. All of the chaps we have had the pleasure to meet have been incredibly decent and fun to hang out with, so if you've ever thought about getting off the sofa and talking in person (I know, it's radical) to a member of this great site, I highly recommend it.

So what of it? Have I broken the rules of the internet, or have you all been meeting up regularly this whole time? If so, feel free to post about your experiences here. If not, that's ok, and goodnight to you.

p.s. NYC is the best place on earth. The End.

Met up with a girl I'd been speaking to online for a year or so on a TV program. true story.

Didn't go well though.

Does Facebook count? It's a pretty big deal for me to add someone from FE to Facebook - They become real people at that point. It's almost like real life ;)

I met my girlfriend online some six years ago. On a forum for fans of Keith Urban. I had some rare recordings of his and she messaged me and asked if she could have them. I messaged back, she messaged back, I messaged back...

It took us awhile and a lot happened. Me moving from England to the US being the biggest thing. But eventually we stopped being great friends and became boyfriend/girlfriend.

It's been great. When you tell people you met online, they look at you funny and automatically assume it was a dating website and I'm pretty sure they think it isn't a real relationship and that it will fail. Just because you met online.

I joined a very prominent website many years ago and became friends with the owner. Eventually we started skyping on a regular basis and it got to the point that when he and his wife were traveling in England, they came and stayed the night at my house. They were from Sweden. A few years later, I stayed with them for a week on their farm in Sweden. We continue to be friends some 10 years later.

I think meeting people in real life that you first met online is just part of normal life these days. Or can be. I never rule it out. How are we going to meet new people anyways? Things have changed so much over the last few years. We are stuck in front of our monitors so much more than we used to be.

I think we should all start a yearly Fanedit convention somewhere. One in the US and one in London, England. They should happen at the same time and then Neglify could do a Phil Collins and fly from one to the other and appear at both!

I haven't met anyone on this site, though I almost met Reave when he came to Chicago. Unfortunately I left a day before on a family vacation so we missed each other.

On another forum for an author a group if us decided to meet up. This was about 10 years ago and included seven of us, including the author. We met for five days in Baltimore. Every year for another five we met up in a new city (Orlando, Boston, Chicago, Nashville, Atlanta). We haven't done it for a couple years now with the economy in the tanker, family obligations, etc. but we're hoping to start again next year. I still talk to all of them on a near daily basis and consider them some of my closest friends.

I have hung out with blueyoda and throwgncpr.

I am forever scarred.

I see Ric Olie from ot.com every damn day.

It's exhausting.

'twas great meeting you and the missus and the cuz, njvc!

of course, mrs. njvc had only to look to dear hubby to know that not every netizen is a rabid fiend. sample size n=1 at the time, but still. . . :)

i once met a friend thru a korean movie forum. we had some interests in common, so a real-world meet-up, when the opportunity arose, seemed natural. we visited him in SF when my wife was preggers, and on another occasion he came down to visit; he stayed overnight in our home and got to meet our daughter.

meeting faneditors is fun. I've hung out IRL with boon23, Heinrich, Ghostcut, Reave, Lewis886, and joebshmoe.

I haven't met anyone from any forums that I'm on.

I'm still convinced Neglify is just a virtual presence, created by the collective internet and representing the worst combination of all pop culture. So there's one I can check off my list.

nightstalkerpoet said:
I'm still convinced Neglify is just a virtual presence, created by the collective internet and representing the worst combination of all pop culture. So there's one I can check off my list.

He's a construct. A thing. We grew him in a fucking lab!

It was a bad move to give him a mailing address, IMO.

neg does have a mailing address. i have it. and i was surprised to learn where too.
and one of these days, i'm actually going to mail him my thor edit.
why are post offices only open during time i'm at work? i have to take a day off just to mail a package.

Cheers, njvc. Can't wait for our 3rd date.

nightstalkerpoet said:
Does Facebook count? It's a pretty big deal for me to add someone from FE to Facebook - They become real people at that point. It's almost like real life ;)

Facebook is to real life as masturbation is to sex. It feels real but at the end of the day all you've got is a picture and your hands. Now, Fe.org on the hand, that's the real deal! Maybe I exaggerate, but there is something cool about an artistic forum such as this that brings people together around a common interest.

Brb, time to masturbate.

Back
Top Bottom