• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: The Speeding Bullet Cut by StreetsAhead

DSM2337 said:
The insinuation is that he's travelling the world, following rumours and such. The final piece of the puzzle arrives as he works in the diner and two army guys discuss the anomaly in the north where they've set up a temporary base. This is why he hitch hikes up there and gets a gopher job on the site, where he helps Lois with her bags when she arrives.

In my cut (The Tempered Cut) I went straight from Pa Kent telling him he's alien and he should try and find answers, to the diner, overhearing the army guys. Seemed the most straightforward way of keeping the idea present.
Oh okay, that makes more sense. It's weird I never noticed that, although I tend to tune that scene out, it always kinda bugged me, especially with Clark going so over the top with the tree in the truck. For a dude who's trying to hide his ability, that's just about the worst thing you can do.

DSM2337 said:
The insinuation is that he's travelling the world, following rumours and such. The final piece of the puzzle arrives as he works in the diner and two army guys discuss the anomaly in the north where they've set up a temporary base. This is why he hitch hikes up there and gets a gopher job on the site, where he helps Lois with her bags when she arrives.

In my cut (The Tempered Cut) I went straight from Pa Kent telling him he's alien and he should try and find answers, to the diner, overhearing the army guys. Seemed the most straightforward way of keeping the idea present.
StreetsAhead said:
Oh okay, that makes more sense. It's weird I never noticed that, although I tend to tune that scene out, it always kinda bugged me, especially with Clark going so over the top with the tree in the truck. For a dude who's trying to hide his ability, that's just about the worst thing you can do.
The way it is framed in the film it doesn't make any sense at all. That's a huge leap of faith they're taking there, assuming that the audience would grasp the full details of the insinuation... The part with the army guys, you're right about that, hard to argue there, but what rumours would he possibly follow to make his way all the way to the diner up north? Once he gets there all of the scientists have just arrived, as did Lois. There's no indication of any previous occurrences in the area that may have led him there.

Kal-El said:
The way it is framed in the film it doesn't make any sense at all. That's a huge leap of faith they're taking there, assuming that the audience would grasp the full details of the insinuation... The part with the army guys, you're right about that, hard to argue there, but what rumours would he possibly follow to make his way all the way to the diner up north? Once he gets there all of the scientists have just arrived, as did Lois. There's no indication of any previous occurrences in the area that may have led him there.

Another thing to check off the list of things that this movie copied off TDK trilogy. Expecting the audience to grasp stuff that is barely hinted at, while at the same time stuffing expository dialogue down our throats because apparently character motivation needs to be explained :)

Man of Steel wasn't as bad with expository dialogue as TDKR was... I do think the better way is to leave Lois out of the scout ship discovery completely so it's Clark that makes the journey all on his own. It doesn't even need explaining. We just start the movie with him already on his way there, as if he knows where it is. He's being drawn to it, he knows where it is, he's following rumours from the army guys, more like 'make of it what you will'. That sort of set up. Perhaps a kind of ultrasonic pitch that you could let ring every now and then to imply he's hearing something that no one else does? And then when he gets there the ringing stops :)

Back
Top Bottom