• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: The Speeding Bullet Cut by StreetsAhead

I've only really cut out a little bit of that part of the fight, as I think it's probably one of my favourite sequences from the movie, and I feel the manipulation to the audio, particularly the music will be quite large, and might have a negative effect, without recreating the audio. But as well as, I feel the way the whole film, and the fight is structured doesn't cater too well to making them immediately go down to the neck snap part. From a somewhat technical standpoint, I'm not so sure there's a convincing part where Superman does anything that could then cut to him tackling Zod into the building he soon kills him in, and creatively I'm not sure it will feel like a satisfyingly climactic end to the fight.

In my cut, you don't really see Clark training, or improving his abilities. Given that he's been around for 33 years, I kind of expected him to be at proper Superman level, and so I feel like the level of threat that Zod presents isn't maybe quite as much as in the actual movie, because there's no real implication in my cut that he's still developing his abilities (like in the actual cut).

As Zod is shedding his armour, he mentions how good he is at developing his abilities (or something along those lines), and then he says something to the effect "Where did you train, on a farm!?", which I've cut.

I might upload a YouTube link to my cut of the Zod fight, if you were interested (it's about a minute & a half shorter)?

I'd have to see the film again but from what I remember it's easy enough to have them both take flight after Zod ditches the armour, trade a few punches, and in the next shot have them land in the station building.

I just feel it would make the Zod/Superman fight quite anti-climactic if it's shortened too much. It really depends just how much shorter you think it should be.

I had been sitting on the fence about the space stuff, and just now I've decided to cut it (and a couple small tweaks to shorten that part of the fight), and it works fine without it. But now I need to re-encode it & so on, as I had thought I was done with it, but seeing as I'm still waiting for a reply to my submission, I might as well make the tweaks.

What I have, may very well be what you're meaning, but I don't think it's worth cutting any more than I already have.

I don't see the point in keeping easter eggs if it's not really a contribution to the story either. So what if it links to the inevitable sequel? It's not as if it's going to make the film any better or worse over it ;-)

To be honest, I wasn't keeping it for the easter egg, I mostly just liked the way the pacing, with the music, and the shot of the debris coming down to Earth, but yeah, even in the cinema when I first saw it, I thought the space bit was unnecessary.

I submitted a first-time application 2 & a 1/2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back since. I sent a PM to njvc 10 days ago, and haven't yet had a reply to that, either.

What's the deal? Does it usually take this long to get any response? Am I missing something?

StreetsAhead said:
I submitted a first-time application 2 & a 1/2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back since. I sent a PM to njvc 10 days ago, and haven't yet had a reply to that, either.

Are you sure njvc hasn't sent you a reply? I believe he did. Check your inbox.

StreetsAhead said:
What's the deal? Does it usually take this long to get any response? Am I missing something?

Nobody is getting paid to do this, infact we have to take time out from being paid to view these submissions :p. So it'll take as long as it takes. If your edit was an obscure one, it could take a long time, but as it's Superman you have had it previewed VERY fast. It takes hours to do a proper preview and we all have real lives to live, so be patient.

I've checked my inbox, and there isn't a message there from njvc.

I understand it's unpaid, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful. No one has asked for the link, and that's more what I'm talking about.

So far, I've filled in that initial form you fill out with the title, some info on the cut, and a link to the forum thread, and submitted that.

That's why I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Threads merged.

Lol, ssj, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Thanks TV's Frink. I guess I should have posted in the initial thread I created, sorry.

congrats on the release, streets ahead/behind/to the side!

being the shortest man of steel edit to date, your project has my interest.

I have watched this edit and it a good Firstling debut. The first half is very minimalist compared to the original.... Krypton is essentially gone and some plot/character intros may at first perplex viewers but all key information is revealed if one is patient and open minded. There are only two scenes that are weakened by this approach -- how Clark finds the Scout Ship/Fortress and the transition with Lois from the Pa Kent grave to the Daily Planet. The second half plays closer to the original but has many more subtle cuts which work very well.

Some really great audio work over all, though there are instances where it could have been slightly smoother or cleaner. Majority of cuts are smart and well executed.

As already noted, the opening narrative may surprise some viewers but the story moves at a brisk pace with most of the fundamental emotional moments still in place. This fan edit succeeds in the most important respect, it entertains! While it is not my preferred my cut and could use slightly more polish, as a Firstling project it is a strong release and I recommend it. :)

Great poster for the edit StreetsAhead! I don't know if you based that on an official poster, but it's really striking.

Thanks for the kind words, it's encouraging to hear. I've done a few other fanedits, but none were as fun to make as this was. I may submit them soon enough, though. I've got another couple edits I plan to work on (The Lone Ranger & Interstellar).

Also, regarding the poster, I didn't really do much except a little clone stamping & slight adjustments. Mostly just created the font which wasn't much, I just copied the style exactly how it is in the actual movie. I just looked for high res images from the film and noticed that the image hadn't really been used, and I thought it was perfect for my fanedit. The DVD/blu-ray cover is slightly different as it has the Superman logo faintly behind the title.

I'm glad the cut is still the shortest as well. I set out with the hopes of making it a 90 minute movie, although I doubted that like an hour could be cut from the original. I didn't expect this to be the most preferred edit with such heavy cuts, but I knew it would help make it stand out, and it shouldn't bore anyone who already liked Man of Steel or any of the edits with more of the origin stuff.

StreetsAhead said:
I'm glad the cut is still the shortest as well. I set out with the hopes of making it a 90 minute movie, although I doubted that like an hour could be cut from the original.
Isn't it best to think of an edit having a runtime of 'whatever it takes to get the story right'? :) Some editors have cut films down to 40 minutes, so I guess it's really just a matter of how far you want to take it. I'm guessing if you drop the origin completely, set up Superman as an accomplished hero, and have him just beat the crap out of Zod in a film where otherwise nothing at all happens, you could get it down to around 45 minutes to an hour? :p

There are some really good ideas in this edit, as in several other Man of Steel edits that have popped up. I'll definitely take a look at this, review it properly and post it on ifdb before I start work on my own (at least one more edit away from now). The cut list is still not entirely to my liking (it hardly ever is if you want to do something yourself) although it's getting closer. If you combine this edit with The Tempered Cut and keep the best parts you'd definitely have something imo. :)

Oh yeah sure, I hoped for 90 minutes, but I was expecting it to be more along the lines of 110 or so minutes. I'm more surprised that when it comes down to it, there's only about 85-90 minutes of story that I found relevant or interesting.

I did cut A LOT out of the film, but I don't think I cut too much that wasn't later explained at least one more time. I probably could have made the transition into how Clark discovers the ship a little smoother, but it's barely explained in the movie, anyway. He's basically just a drifter who ends up at that base for some reason, as far as I can recall (I remember being confused as to how Clark got there, when I first watched the original film, also). You see him a couple times at the base, crossing paths (although without dialogue) with Lois, but other than that, I don't think there's any indication as to why he's there, or how he got there.

It wasn't about necessarily telling the best Superman story, because I don't think it's possible with what's in it, but I hoped to tell the story in the film minus the boring parts. I think this film could have done with less exposition, less Lois Lane (she didn't need to be shoe-horned into the action all the time), and a more opinionated & involved Superman. Lois seemed to think her way through this movie, a lot more than Superman/Clark did. There was more to Clark in the flashbacks, than there was in the present day stuff.

I'd like to see what you thought of the edit, if you do get the time, and I'd be curious to see your cut when it's done.

I always thought Superman was somehow drawn to the scout ship. Not that he knew what it was but that he was drawn to it. And all of the flashbacks we saw before that was things he had to do to get there (get small jobs along the way to keep himself fed, etc).

Yeah, but it's never really implied or explained at all, as far as I can remember. Unless there's some one off line that I missed.

StreetsAhead said:
Yeah, but it's never really implied or explained at all, as far as I can remember. Unless there's some one off line that I missed.
The insinuation is that he's travelling the world, following rumours and such. The final piece of the puzzle arrives as he works in the diner and two army guys discuss the anomaly in the north where they've set up a temporary base. This is why he hitch hikes up there and gets a gopher job on the site, where he helps Lois with her bags when she arrives.

In my cut (The Tempered Cut) I went straight from Pa Kent telling him he's alien and he should try and find answers, to the diner, overhearing the army guys. Seemed the most straightforward way of keeping the idea present.

Back
Top Bottom