• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Man of Steel: Ideal of Hope Edition

I think you edited it very well and you should release the ending version that you prefer but I greatly prefer Morgan Freeman's speech. One is that I prefer the content of it and I especially like the wide shot at the end when he says "Our Home". I also feel that it takes me out of it slightly to see a real president giving a speech for a superhero flick.

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to send me the audio track of Freeman's speech and I could try to get the music out of it as much as possible using noise reduction and then you could have a second version with his speech.

It all comes down to you and it's fine if it is too much work to be worth it but maybe others would like the option of having Freeman's speech at the end.

That is beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  Great work.  
Nonetheless, I think you should either touch a bit the colour taint in between 00:50 until you catch up with the footage from “Man of Steel” to bring it that yellowish tint that dominates the footage from the other films and “Man of Stee”’s final sequence.  Is what I’m trying to say clear?  

Hope so!   :p

Again, only my two cents!  

EDIT: Reading @"darthrush"’s comment made me think back at having Obama’s speech at the end.  Maybe it does feel sort of inappropriate and uncomfortable to have a real speech, given in remembrance off real mournings in a superhero film.  As impactful as it may turn out, couldn’t it be considered disrespectful?  I’m not sure, but I have to agree with Darth Rush.  Again, the ball’s in your hands!

Canon Editor said:
Very good job!  The first clip works well, even though I still can’t stand Superman violently charging the general… 

The second clip works too, but the first Lois clip is very short.  If it were slightly longer it would work better.

The third clip is fantastic.  Well done once again.

Canon Editor said:
That is beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  Great work.  
Nonetheless, I think you should either touch a bit the colour taint in between 00:50 until you catch up with the footage from “Man of Steel” to bring it that yellowish tint that dominates the footage from the other films and “Man of Stee”’s final sequence.  Is what I’m trying to say clear?  

Hope so!   :p

Again, only my two cents!  

EDIT: Reading @"darthrush"’s comment made me think back at having Obama’s speech at the end.  Maybe it does feel sort of inappropriate and uncomfortable to have a real speech, given in remembrance off real mournings in a superhero film.  As impactful as it may turn out, couldn’t it be considered disrespectful?  I’m not sure, but I have to agree with Darth Rush.  Again, the ball’s in your hands!

I dont think it's disrespectful. I mean, I've seen many films, of different genres,  that use real footage from real presidents that fit the needs of the storytelling. 

Now, I see Freeman's speech is some favorite here. I might create another version with him, but my problem is that if I don't show him as the president, it might  look weird. And if I show him, it'd be a little bit distracting. I mean, it's Morgan Freeman!  :rolleyes:

I don't think not showing him is too big of an issue since he's introduced in the previous VO. The one issue with the Freeman speech is the music bleed through. Have you heard of the noise reduction method in audacity? Isolating the center channel and applying the noise reduction would probably solve the music bleeding.

Yes, I see where you’re going with the Morgan Freeman situation, and that would be distracting too.  Your pick!  Haha!  

Regarding Zod’s speech, the current version is perfect and having his words echo in Clark’s head works.

I haven't updated recently because I can say this project is nearly done.  Just checking all detail to begin the render. I will soon post a full list of changes made in this fan edit so I can begin to work in the cover art.

By the way, guys.  Does anybody know how to make the shiny silver letters that say "Man of Steel" at the end of the film? I was asking because maybe some could help me to add the "An Ideal of Hope" subtitle in a "professional" way, or send me some tutorial to learn it to do it myself in Adobe Premiere.  This is to make some experiments.  But if not, I could always leave the title as it is.

How is this...?

(^ Click on the image to get a 4K version)

The subtitle is a fairly close match to the original but I recreated the MOS title too so they match 100%. The font is this one:

http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Gotham-Black-Regular

It's maybe a hair bolder than the title in the film but it's the right font family. I added some texture I found on google-images over the top and a small lens flare.

TM2YC said:
How is this...?

(^ Click on the image to get a 4K version)

The subtitle is a fairly close match to the original but I recreated the MOS title too so they match 100%. The font is this one:

http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Gotham-Black-Regular

It's maybe a hair bolder than the title in the film but it's the right font family. I added some texture I found on google-images over the top and a small lens flare.

That actually looks amazing, dude.  Now I will have to add it somehow within the film.  Thanks for the tips.  Do you know how can I match the silver color of the original Man of Steel title? Or what combination do I have to make to acomplish this?

samspider3 said:
Do you know how can I match the silver color of the original Man of Steel title? Or what combination do I have to make to acomplish this?

Please post an example of the title you mean.

TM2YC said:
samspider3 said:
Do you know how can I match the silver color of the original Man of Steel title? Or what combination do I have to make to acomplish this?

Please post an example of the title you mean.

I think I didn't explain myself very well. What I want is to insert the "Man of Steel: An Ideal of Hope" title at the end of the movie, instead of ending the film with plain "Man of Steel", as the original.  Now that I have the font, I would need to make the "An Ideal of Hope" subtitle color or texture (the shiny/shadowy silver) look exactly as the one you published in the image above, so they can match to "Man of Steel".

In other words, I'd like to recreate it as you did, so that's why I'm asking how to do it as professional as yours  :D

EDIT: You know what? Nevermind.  It turns out I actually can do it with the image you just made.  Still thank you very much, you have been extremely helpful :D

The font works perfectly.  Nonetheless, I feel the subtitle is slightly too close to the title, and with the black background it would probably need some more “breathing air”.

Hey Sam
Love what you're doing, but just my vote that using Obama is kind of disrespectful to the victims of the Boston bombing, I thought about that when I was editing this scene for a BvS cut. I tried an app to use Obama's voice without pulling from a specific speech as a workaround.

Up to you of course! Great work!!

Canon Editor said:
The font works perfectly.  Nonetheless, I feel the subtitle is slightly too close to the title, and with the black background it would probably need some more “breathing air”.

That's something I already fixed in my Fan Edit.  Don't worry :D

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I thought about that when I was editing this scene for a BvS cut. I tried an app to use Obama's voice without pulling from a specific speech as a workaround.[/font]

Could you post an example with a video, please? I could make some experiments to add the perfect speech, since my choice of Obama is getting some...mixed reception. Trying to make this as perfect as it can get  :D

Another idea was to use Freeman's speech, but using footage of real Obama.

Are you gonna be using action scenes from both Man of Steel and BvS? If so, how are you gonna fix the costume and hairstyle switch?

ZBMP said:
Are you gonna be using action scenes from both Man of Steel and BvS? If so, how are you gonna fix the costume and hairstyle switch?

I'm using mostly the scenes from Africa and the Capitol.  If you really pay attention, the changes in the hairstyle and the costume are very subtle between one and other movie.  So there wouldn't be changes, aside the ones to create a perfect continuity.

I actually noticed that the hair changes throughout work really well. 

There is the "curly" hair from MoS and "short" hair from BvS.

He begins with his "curly" hair until the Africa sequence. It is easily inferred that before revealing himself as Superman, that maybe he wanted to give a clean trim to the hair. Then you keep this hair for the rest of the included BvS plot elements until we see Clark back at his farm after exiling himself. He has curly hair again and it can simply be implied that he has been in exile while growing it back. Then he goes to the mountain and covers his hair entirely with his hat and then reveals himself and still has the same curly, longer hair style.

This sounds a bit crazy to go in such detail, but it was a major concern of mine and I realized that it actually works out quite perfectly in the end.

Concering the speech, I still highly recommend seeing what you can do with noise reduction methods to get rid of more of the music so as to make it seamless.

And I feel that if you use the Morgan Freeman VO and combine it with footage of Obama, that it would come off as really bizarre. The viewer would instantly recognize a incredibly recent, real life president and then hear the striking voice of Morgan Freeman and is expected to believe they are the same person?

I recall TM2YC linking to a video that contains Morgan Freeman as president from the clip you used. It might just be easier to own it as Morgan Freeman being president. I don't find it too distracting.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I recall TM2YC linking to a video that contains Morgan Freeman as president from the clip you used. It might just be easier to own it as Morgan Freeman being president. I don't find it too distracting.[/font]

I might go the Freeman's way then.  Would you like to help me with the noise in the speech? Maybe if I send you the audio, you could leave it as clean as possible so I can make the editing experiments.

samspider3 said:
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]I recall TM2YC linking to a video that contains Morgan Freeman as president from the clip you used. It might just be easier to own it as Morgan Freeman being president. I don't find it too distracting.[/font]

I might go the Freeman's way then.  Would you like to help me with the noise in the speech? Maybe if I send you the audio, you could leave it as clean as possible so I can make the editing experiments.

That sounds great. I'll see what I can do with it.

Here is the DVD cover art.  I made it myself.  First time I have ever done it, but I feel it shows my true intentions with the fan edit
Man_of_Steel_An_Ideal_of_Hope_Cover.jpg

Back
Top Bottom