• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LOST - All Answers Revealed!

I'm wondering if any of you Lost-ies ever watched Carnivàle. According to series creator Dan Knaupf, he had six seasons' worth of mythology planned out from the start. That isn't to say that unexpected things didn't happen along the way - the Dreifuss family was barely in the pilot, but came to dominate much of the first season's screen time, and several minor character were dropped between the only two produced seasons with absolutely no explanation - and it's also true that, with only a third of those prospective six years actually made, things could well have fallen apart had the show continued on.

Still, pretty much every single episode moves the characters forward a bit, nearly all of the major mysteries turned out to have entirely sensible, built-in answers (that were revealed in the overall story's first third, mind), and, taken as a whole, while incomplete, the show coheres wonderfully.

But here's the thing: it always felt like it would. The first episode introduced a lot of mysterious stuff, but it also gave us a hero and a villain, and thus the inevitable assumption that they would some day do battle. No matter how many weird touches or flourishes were painted here and there (and there were plenty, with lots of random little magic with no plausible explanation - this was a show about explicitly about magic), the promise of that battle hung over every hour, and each hour brought that confrontation a bit closer.

I only ever watched the first hour of Lost, on either its first airing or a first-season repeat, but here's what I got from it: a bunch of people just landed on an island, and there might be a dinosaur in the woods. No clear promise, just a potentially ever-unfolding puzzle.

From what I've read of Lost (not a whole lot), I get the impression it plays out like this: mysteries are stacked on top of mysteries, until finally, at the end, there are too many mysteries and players/factions to bring together, so they conjured up a good vs. evil battle, and said that that was an ending, because it was good vs. evil-dramatic.

Carnivàle ended similarly. The difference being, with Carnivàle, nobody felt cheated when it went there, because that's where it was heading from the start. One could argue that, since it didn't start out as a good vs. evil fight-story, Lost was more thematically ambitious. But I find it hard to believe that, all told, Carnivàle's forward planning didn't make it the better overall story.

I actually don't remember how Carnivale ends. I do remember that it was canceled early... only two seasons or so. Did the series wrap up, or did it end on a cliffhanger?

Answer:

Sorta both at the same time, really.

A lot like A New Hope that way.

As much as I love the show, and as much as I'd have loved to see the other four seasons, I'm okay with how it ended. It always felt like experiencing a very strange, sometimes nightmarish dream, and dreams don't always end up in terribly satisfying ways. So, one jolts up from the end of Carnivàle and re-enters the waking world... but one is never quite the same. :p

theslime said:
Chill out, man. IMO most of it added up.

In your opinion, it added up. In my opinion, it didn't. And I'm allowed to have that opinion, and you're allowed to have yours. I don't need to "chill out" when voicing my opinion any more than you do. We're both allowed to say what we want. :)

theslime said:
I'm definitely not making this argument, if that's what you're implying. If it is, your whole basic premise is wrong.

I wasn't referring to you personally, or anyone else. All I was trying to say is that, when discussing Lost with others, many like to take the side that retractors aren't allowed to have their opinions against the show, that they're somehow out of line for not being satisfied.

My premise - that the show didn't follow through very well on many of its plot points - isn't wrong. Apparently, the things you were looking to get out of this series were different than what I wanted. You're entitled to that.

I would explain what I meant by mentioning specific plot points from the show, but this thread no longer seems to be fun. People are getting agitated. (I apologize for any unintended agitation I caused.) So I'm dropping out of this thread.

If anyone absolutely must continue to discuss this issue with me, they can PM me.

TomH1138 said:
this thread no longer seems to be fun.

Let me fix that.

Article - Ranked: The Women of LOST From Least Sexy to Most Sexy.

hotlilly555.jpg

DISCLAIMER: You MUST have a sense of humor to view this next photo!

insert2y.jpg

Juliet over Kate? That is even more controversial than whether this show sucked or not. In a picture I do think Kate is hotter, but there was something about Juliet in that show...

geminigod said:
Juliet over Kate? That is even more controversial than whether this show sucked or not. In a picture I do think Kate is hotter, but there was something about Juliet in that show...

characterwise it would be no contest, kate was a horrible character, juliett was really cool
though of course hotnesswise kate wins from just magazine-cover-looks but I think Juliett would be more the woman one decides to spend more than a few nights with

Really, that ranking is all over the place and definitely one man's opinion.

Ilana, Ana Lucia & Claire were ranked higher than Amy Goodspeed? And why is Sarah Shephard not #1???

juliebowenemmysnc.jpg

im gonna put in a vote for Penny.
great smile and great curves

Back
Top Bottom