• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LA LA LAND - NO DANCING EDITION TRAILER ADDED A Last impressions edit COMPLETED

A new clip for anyone interested....cutting short the terrible John Legend song....yes i know the song is meant to be bad ...but hey i dont want to hear all of it...i catch the drift.
http://https://vimeo.com/236495982[/video]

My edit is finished if anyone is interested. i will submit to the academy in due course. I have rendered a HD 8GB MP4 and will release a bluray in the future if the edit gets approved.

The edit is an experiment . I wanted to see if the film would work without the cast dancing every five minutes The idea is to make a simple love story, with an indie feel vibe, of two young people working towards there dreams. Did i succeed - i'll let you lot be the judge of that :)

thanks

Thread moved to pending. The Academy will review this as soon as possible but please be patient. Thanks.

heres my first draft at the cover
2lb1fnp.jpg

That's a nice cover, @"jswert123456"! :)

I don't think I'll make a full cover for this, but just would like to present a poster I made.

artboard-copy-84.png

Hope you like it!

Thanks for the cover and poster guys they are fantastic. Im very flattered you took the time to do these...im really impressed. I 'll contact you if i get approved and maybe we can use these in IFDB 

Thanks agin

jswert123456 said:
heres my first draft at the cover
2lb1fnp.jpg

That is very nice indeed, and a lovely use of negative space :)

The only tweak I'd suggest is either removing the blue border from the screenshots on the back, or redoing the borders so they're all the same. I like the way that the middle image of the two of them together is bookended by shots of each of them looking out at the other.

im not sure what you mean about the borders being all the same.
its all one single combined image with a stroke added to the photo.

jswert123456 said:

Really?

xvj4cxPl.png

Uo4Lk0pl.png

jswert123456 said:

It looks like the right-most photo has had the stroke outline applied before it was merged with the other two. Personally I'd probably go for having each image with its own border, but you could just as easily have all three images joined and only an outer border - easiest way is probably to remove the existing stroke effect, merge the three layers for the images, then apply the stroke effect again to the merged layers.

i tried that and the right most photo still looks like it has a thicker  border.

Thanks Lads - is there anyway you can add my logo on the cover and poster with a number 2 next to it. 

The number 2 is because LA LA LAND is my second completed edit

cheers

ycHIGI1.png

Watched this the other night and thought it was brilant. Couldn’t even tell it was an edit. If you showed someone this who had no idea what la la land is they wouldn’t be able to tell it was a musical. Great job!

TK251 said:
Watched this the other night and thought it was brilant. Couldn’t even tell it was an edit. If you showed someone this who had no idea what la la land is they wouldn’t be able to tell it was a musical. Great job!

Thanks i am really glad you enjoyed it. Now spread the word  :D. You never know i may get approved one day

The real test is having someone watch it who hasnt seen the original and can still make sense of it.

Just watched this, I like the orginal movie (the wife is a big fan) and I don't mind musicals but the concept of this edit intrigued me.

Firstly a huge thumbs up on the 'own the source' intro, sets the mood beautifully for the edit and you really went the extra mile on that one. I'm not gonna spoil it for anyone...

To the edit then I enjoyed it, I still prefer the original film personally but if people bursting in to song spontaneously for no reason really bothers you then this is the edit for you! :)   Technically looked flawless the only thing I noticed on the version I watched was a minute or so of black screen left on the end where I assume the render area end marker had gone over a little too far, hardly an issue though.  The removal of the song and dance routines is seamlessly done theres wasn't a noticeable cut in the entire edit and special props to the way you dealt with the finale and rescored it.  My only criticism would be the film does feel very flimsy without the song and dance routines to offer that extra 'connection' with the two leads, but as the whole purpose was to explore that its more an observation than a criticism.

Excellent work and I too would be very curious to hear the opinion of someone who hasn't seen the orginal.  Well Done Last Impressions I think you will be earning your editing stripes very soon! :)

Overall thoughts: Very good edit! Technically quite good, and an interesting alt take on the movie. I really enjoy the original film. It's obviously not steeped in realism, being a musical and all. It's surprising and cool how much the same story feels grounded without the song and dance elements in it.

Some things I really liked: 
- The 'Own the Source' bit was a lot of fun. Great idea, loved it. 
- Opening the film where you did worked really well. There is something to be said for starting with a scene (if you include it's bookend) that defines our characters well. I know I like the original opening a lot more than you did, but this was very good. 
- The ending of the film played really well. It's been a year since I saw the original but the tweaks I noticed, I quite liked. 
- Removal of the musical elements was seamless, which is saying something.

Some things I recommend changing (but are not necessary for approval):
- I really like the unique faneditor intros. It adds a nice polish to an edit IMO (spoken as somebody too lazy to ever make one). That being said, yours has very loud static. If I were you I might consider an element of music that perhaps has static, but straight static was a bit grating on the ear.
- Allow me to talk way too much about a four second scene for a second. I would recommend cutting the bit with Sebastian and Mia on the highway, and I have a bunch of reasons why I think you should. First, the flow of the intro is her entering the place he's playing-really short car scene - really short scene of him looking at old jazz place - then our first proper scene. The pace is a touch frenetic which doesn't jive with the rest of the film IMO. More importantly, the thematic reason for that scene existing has been cut. The theatrical cut opens with the freeway scene, which emphasizes our connectedness both geographically and physically (with the massive dance number). Without that point, the scene kinda stretches incredulity. That makes three chance encounters between Sebastian and Mia (freeway, first club, party) before he finds her on the studio lot. Two makes sense and works, they run into each other once and talk about it the second time they do. But neither of them mention the freeway thing so it doesn't serve any purpose. It really only works as a point of emphasis thematically on the intro, and to tie our main characters into the big dance number. Without the dance number, I'd cut it.
- I would recommend giving the fanedit its own unique title, not just your name. And then I'd recommend making a title card and putting it in place of the scene were Sebastian honks at Mia at the beginning :)

Things that need changed for approval:
Not a lot here, just two points.
- There's a Spring, Fall and Winter (5 years later) title card but Summer is not there. I can't remember where it appeared in the original but I'm guessing a music number? I remember all four. Without it, it's a bit awkward because we get the Spring one and then don't see another season title card for a long time in the film.
- Very abrupt cut from the John Legend song to the "Fall" title card. The music drops out much too quickly. I get why you faded where you did (a lull in the song kinda) and you can't continue it over the season title card but you have to find a smoother way to do it if you want to cut the second half of the song. I suggest having the music dim and start to fade when going to a close up of Mia (like we're dulling the outside environment to be inside her head) or doing something similar with Sebastian. You don't have to do that but you have to find a way to give it a decent amount of time to fade so as not to feel abrupt.

All that being said, I like the song and would prefer to hear the rest but that is of course up to you. I know you don't like the song. I like it because literally everything John Legend says to Sebastian about jazz is dead on IMO. To love jazz and to want it to never change is really silly to me. I have read you and others say the point of the John Legend song is to be vapid and commercial, which is valid but a reading I do not share. I suppose it hinges on how we look at Sebastian. If you think the song is without merit (not that you like it but think it is vacuous) then you agree with Seb wholeheartedly on the purism. I read the film as agreeing with John Legend (sorry I've seen this movie four times and do not remember his character, I always call him John Legend), that Sebastian is rigid to a fault. And it costs him professionally and personally. He doesn't lose Mia because he is selling out on the photo shoot (though that's the last straw), he loses her because he is so narrow-minded first on his dream and then on what he thinks she wants (based on her telling her mom he doesn't have a steady gig) that he never puts her first. And the heartbreaking part is that what he thinks she wants him to do isn't what she wants him to do. I love that dinner scene so much because I think you can reasonably be on his side, her side, or understand both. I think that Damien Chazelle has the utmost respect for jazz and its history but I don't think the film views John Legend as a sell-out who is the antithesis of pure jazz. I love that he's used jazz to tell two very different stories, for me one that is about genius and another that is about compromise in relationships. Also, young people really don't listen to jazz at all so it needs to keep evolving or die. That was true of my generation and it's even more true of my kids generation.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. Very nice editing throughout, and I think it'll be even stronger with those two minor things cleaned up.

Cheers

thecuddlyninja said:
Overall thoughts: Very good edit! Technically quite good, and an interesting alt take on the movie. I really enjoy the original film. It's obviously not steeped in realism, being a musical and all. It's surprising and cool how much the same story feels grounded without the song and dance elements in it.

Some things I really liked: 
- The 'Own the Source' bit was a lot of fun. Great idea, loved it. 
- Opening the film where you did worked really well. There is something to be said for starting with a scene (if you include it's bookend) that defines our characters well. I know I like the original opening a lot more than you did, but this was very good. 
- The ending of the film played really well. It's been a year since I saw the original but the tweaks I noticed, I quite liked. 
- Removal of the musical elements was seamless, which is saying something.

Some things I recommend changing (but are not necessary for approval):
- I really like the unique faneditor intros. It adds a nice polish to an edit IMO (spoken as somebody too lazy to ever make one). That being said, yours has very loud static. If I were you I might consider an element of music that perhaps has static, but straight static was a bit grating on the ear.
- Allow me to talk way too much about a four second scene for a second. I would recommend cutting the bit with Sebastian and Mia on the highway, and I have a bunch of reasons why I think you should. First, the flow of the intro is her entering the place he's playing-really short car scene - really short scene of him looking at old jazz place - then our first proper scene. The pace is a touch frenetic which doesn't jive with the rest of the film IMO. More importantly, the thematic reason for that scene existing has been cut. The theatrical cut opens with the freeway scene, which emphasizes our connectedness both geographically and physically (with the massive dance number). Without that point, the scene kinda stretches incredulity. That makes three chance encounters between Sebastian and Mia (freeway, first club, party) before he finds her on the studio lot. Two makes sense and works, they run into each other once and talk about it the second time they do. But neither of them mention the freeway thing so it doesn't serve any purpose. It really only works as a point of emphasis thematically on the intro, and to tie our main characters into the big dance number. Without the dance number, I'd cut it.
- I would recommend giving the fanedit its own unique title, not just your name. And then I'd recommend making a title card and putting it in place of the scene were Sebastian honks at Mia at the beginning :)

Things that need changed for approval:
Not a lot here, just two points.
- There's a Spring, Fall and Winter (5 years later) title card but Summer is not there. I can't remember where it appeared in the original but I'm guessing a music number? I remember all four. Without it, it's a bit awkward because we get the Spring one and then don't see another season title card for a long time in the film.
- Very abrupt cut from the John Legend song to the "Fall" title card. The music drops out much too quickly. I get why you faded where you did (a lull in the song kinda) and you can't continue it over the season title card but you have to find a smoother way to do it if you want to cut the second half of the song. I suggest having the music dim and start to fade when going to a close up of Mia (like we're dulling the outside environment to be inside her head) or doing something similar with Sebastian. You don't have to do that but you have to find a way to give it a decent amount of time to fade so as not to feel abrupt.

All that being said, I like the song and would prefer to hear the rest but that is of course up to you. I know you don't like the song. I like it because literally everything John Legend says to Sebastian about jazz is dead on IMO. To love jazz and to want it to never change is really silly to me. I have read you and others say the point of the John Legend song is to be vapid and commercial, which is valid but a reading I do not share. I suppose it hinges on how we look at Sebastian. If you think the song is without merit (not that you like it but think it is vacuous) then you agree with Seb wholeheartedly on the purism. I read the film as agreeing with John Legend (sorry I've seen this movie four times and do not remember his character, I always call him John Legend), that Sebastian is rigid to a fault. And it costs him professionally and personally. He doesn't lose Mia because he is selling out on the photo shoot (though that's the last straw), he loses her because he is so narrow-minded first on his dream and then on what he thinks she wants (based on her telling her mom he doesn't have a steady gig) that he never puts her first. And the heartbreaking part is that what he thinks she wants him to do isn't what she wants him to do. I love that dinner scene so much because I think you can reasonably be on his side, her side, or understand both. I think that Damien Chazelle has the utmost respect for jazz and its history but I don't think the film views John Legend as a sell-out who is the antithesis of pure jazz. I love that he's used jazz to tell two very different stories, for me one that is about genius and another that is about compromise in relationships. Also, young people really don't listen to jazz at all so it needs to keep evolving or die. That was true of my generation and it's even more true of my kids generation.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. Very nice editing throughout, and I think it'll be even stronger with those two minor things cleaned up.

Cheers

First , thank you for taking the time to watch it.

Although i have perused the forums for a good few years and have had the privilege to view numerous other faneditors work. I am always weary of the own the source factor and the copyright implications. I am no angel when it comes to doing wrong and testing the boundaries of the law but i am a bit of a cinephile and adore cinema and music. If we don't cough up the money for streaming services and going to the cinema etc then how will future projects be funded - i think of owning the source as a way of contributing and i also like the large bit rates we get with physical media. I have only been editing for about a year and i still have lots to learn. I started at the foundation level, how to work with the best quality HD source and then moved on from there. As a personal preference, and by no means was it meant to be a gimmick, i decided that i would actually make a film before each fanedit i made showing that i actually owned the source material as i don't want the studios knocking on my door (how that will work if i have downloaded material, i dont know - maybe i'll flash a receipt  :) My other edit pending approval "Mars "also has a similar own the source film. With the help of my girls they are actually very fun to make and we get to spend time together ...maybe they will get more extravagant - I definitely need a better camera. The La La Land was made on my phone. My daughter has also since learned Sebastian and Mia's theme on the piano so it would have been fun to incorporate her playing it somehow.

The opening of the original La La Land just didn't do it for me and i almost stop watching the film during my first viewing. I went into another room and then i heard Sebastian and Mia's theme and was sucked right back into the film and from there on in it was great. I even loved the original ending and all the dance sequences but i just wondered if the movie would work without the dance numbers and so i went for it.

I always wanted to bookend the edit and start with Mia walking through the street  - i also didn't want music playing during my opening as i wanted to have the quietness before we hear Sebastian play .

When you mention static do you mean on my logo? if so i agree - i did knock the logo up really quickly and i am currently trying to learn new skills on how to make a decent one. I wanted a retro feel with static. I'll keep working at it and hopefully i can design something a little more professional.

And believe it or not ,as i have mulled over the edit since completion two months ago the points you mention are the two that i thought would fail me  I have been thinking about the horn honking and whether or not i should remove it and i have most definitely stewed over the John Legend concert - i to think it is too abrupt - The kids have had the soundtrack on in the car and the song is kinda growing on me...jeeeez its in my head right now as i type. I think i will put the entire scene back in the edit and like you say it will compliment the story and the argument Sebastian and Mia have later on

As for a title i am not to sure what to call it - I was original going to call it something boring like - La La Land - no dancing , no shindig or non musical but the edit does have dance and music element....any ideas would be welcomed.

Now i need to find or make that pesky Summer title card  :) it must be in the film somewhere  :)

once i have made my amendments shall i PM you?

Thanks

Great, thank you for the detailed response. Yes, just PM me with the new file when it's ready. 

As for the title, it may be straightforward but "Dance Free Edition" is also very descriptive.

You could go crazy and call it "The Savion Glover Does Not Approve Version" hahaha

In all seriousness, I think a descriptive title is good but I'm not terribly creative. I'm the guy who made an edit removing family from iD4 and called it"No Family Edition" so keep that in mind!

What about La La-less Land?
or La Less Land

Back
Top Bottom