• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Jarhead: The Messenjah Cut -OUT NOW!!-

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what kind of fanedit (true fanedit = TF, extended edition = EE, special collection & preservation = SP): TF

[youtube:fgumw25g]

tagline: Every War Is The Same

original film name: Jarhead
new film name : Jarhead: The Messenjah Cut
film studio name : Paramount Pictures
edit crew name : Messenjah14
Date Original Film Was Released : 2006
Date Edit Was Released : ?
Original Runtime : 123 min
New Runtime : 89 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : 34 min

Cuts removed/added/extended :
- Cut the story from the beginning.
- Added The Messenjah Cut to the title.
- Cut the troops watching Apocalypse Now.
- Cut the soldiers talking in the truck.
- Cut the TV crew visiting the troops.
- Cut EVERYTHING about Swofford being punished for Ferguson's fuck-up and him almost shooting Ferguson.
- Cut that whiny soldier complaining about the pills.
- Cut the stuff about Troy being discharged.
- Cut away a lot of the footage of the troops at the hole with the burnt bodies.
- Cut Swofford talking to Jamie Foxx and seeing a horse.
- Added a new song to the end credits.

Fanedit details (please add here details about DVD contents as well as video and audio information): The DVD contains scene selection, english 5.1 audio, optional english and finnish subtitles, deleted scenes and the main menu is animated. Also a commentary track from yours truly is included.

Your intention for this fanedit: Jarhead is an exceptional movie. I personally consider it the best war movie of all time for an assortment of reasons. One of the reasons why I call it exceptional is because it does not follow the usual movie storyline pattern. Usually movies start with act 1, in which we are introduced to the characters, their motives and so forth. The second act is all about character development and the characters going on about their journey/s. The third act contains a climax and a conclusion. In Jarhead however, the second act doesn't contain a journey, it's more of a stand-still. The third act on the other hand still has character development, moreso than the second act, and the climax is somewhat unfullfilling. I wanted to modify this film into the traditional movie form.

Your way to achieve your intention: I did this by cutting away some, but not all, of the charecterisation and some sideplots to make it flow better for my intentions.

Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit): Womble, Adobe Audition, Photoshop CS2, DVD Lab Pro 2, Gordian Knot, and various programs that were eventually scrapped.

Additional Comment: This is definately the most grueling experience I've had as far as fanediting goes. It took me a month or so to finish the actual editing part. For one thing, for a few weeks I could only work a few hours a day, but also I had never edited six separate audio tracks at the same time, which made the experience even harder. And the plans I had changed constantly. One of my original ideas for example, included removing every single narrated line by Swofford, but with time this edit molded itself into it's current form. Eventually I ended up editing the video with Womble and the necessary audio parts with Audition.

Time needed for the edition: Planning/Editing: 4 weeks. DVD making: 4 weeks Uploading: 2 weeks

persons involved: messenjah14

I find it amazing that you find this film the best war movie ever made. I of course appreciate that everyone has different tastes, so this is certainly not a criticism or insult, but I personally see many, many war films of higher quality (of one way or another) than this.

I find your intention a tad confusing - you say you think its the best war movie ever because it doesn?t follow the normal pattern, but then say you are changing it to make it more like a normal war movie....could you elaborate more on this?

Anyway. like I said, I'm not criticising, merely enquiring and showing interest.

Zebedee said:
I find it amazing that you find this film the best war movie ever made. I of course appreciate that everyone has different tastes, so this is certainly not a criticism or insult, but I personally see many, many war films of higher quality (of one way or another) than this.

I find your intention a tad confusing - you say you think its the best war movie ever because it doesn’t follow the normal pattern, but then say you are changing it to make it more like a normal war movie....could you elaborate more on this?

Anyway. like I said, I'm not criticising, merely enquiring and showing interest.
And I find it amazing when people say FMJ to be the best war movie ever, so yeah it's really a matter of opinion.

I didn't say I consider it great because it doesn't follow the normal pattern, I said it was exceptional, a term which in my opinion is used to describe something... well, different. I'm just doing this to make the movie different than it originally was. I never try to improve movies, I just want to make them different than they originally were. In this case, seeing the different version may even make me appreciate the original even more.

messenjah14 said:
And I find it amazing when people say FMJ to be the best war movie ever, so yeah it's really a matter of opinion..

That one amazes me as well :) . Well maybe not amazes, as Kubrick is right up there with the greats, but its not his greatest work.

And I wasn?t insinuating that I thought you were trying to improve it, I was just trying to delve deeper into your motivations behind it.

I finished the teaser, yall can view it in the first post now.

Added a complete list of the dvd details to the first post.

Hmm... I just got a microphone. Since I haven't finished the subtitles yet, the DVD isn't finished either. I'll try to make a commentary track for this tommorrow.

very cool. Are you planning to comment the entire movie? 90 minutes can be VERY long and a lot of dialogue fits in there...

boon23 said:
very cool. Are you planning to comment the entire movie? 90 minutes can be VERY long and a lot of dialogue fits in there...
Yeah, I plan to do the whole thing. I mean it's an optional thing, you don't have to listen to it... Naturally there will be a few parts where me talking crap is muted so that you can hear the dialogue of the movie if I think you need to hear it for me to succesfully comment on it... There are a few problems with my speech though (a finnish accent and the inability to pronounce the letter R) but I suppose yall can handle that.

Of cou'se we can handle this 'athe' well. ;-)
However, I planned on commenting my TITANIC edit for the whole length of the movie, but had to realize that after about 5 minutes I really had nothing left to say... so I made a little extra and placed a commentary there. I did the same for my THE ROCK edit. This way commenting is probably more fun for the one making it and the ones listening. Don't overestimate the amount of interesting, funny, technical, creative things you might really have to say. In the end you create this, so people will listen to it and be entertained.

boon23 said:
Of cou'se we can handle this 'athe' well. ;-)
However, I planned on commenting my TITANIC edit for the whole length of the movie, but had to realize that after about 5 minutes I really had nothing left to say... so I made a little extra and placed a commentary there. I did the same for my THE ROCK edit. This way commenting is probably more fun for the one making it and the ones listening. Don't overestimate the amount of interesting, funny, technical, creative things you might really have to say. In the end you create this, so people will listen to it and be entertained.
Isn't your Titanic edit like 2 hours or so? I mean I can easily stretch out myself to talking for about 105 minutes continously (I have to in the profession I'm studying to become), and I do have a lot to discuss here. If I seem to start running a little dry, I'll just plug some other edit I've made, or I'll start going rifftrax so to speak and make fun of the movie.

I am looking very forward to it. Will you add a finnish version of your commentary too? People at piratebay would sure love that.

boon23 said:
I am looking very forward to it. Will you add a finnish version of your commentary too? People at piratebay would sure love that.
Probably not, I might make subtitles though if I think my babbling is too unhearable :-D

I finished the commentary, and it turned out fine. Abit out of synch on occasion, but otherwise it's good, although imo my speech is abit weird, I mean it sounds weird. I won't make subtitles though, if you don't understand me, just don't listen to it.

Well, no word for a while, and there has been no progress whatsoever. Due to my stupidity, I signed up to this thing regarding school, so I'm currently busy as hell, and have had no time to work on this. Anyhow, I've got a day-off on monday, so I should make this thing finished by then, since I just need to make the subtitles. However, I really ain't sure as to wether or not I'll keep the commentary track intact, since I ain't too much of a fan of it, but we'll see.

I think it is cool you made it. I will definitely start listening to it.

Yall think it could work if instead of the audio I would just use subtitles as the commentary? Seriously, even I can't understand what the hell I say on occasion on the track, and also it's somewhat out of synch. With just subtitles both the problems would be erased.

but subtitles commentary might be boring and it is a load of work.

I ended up with a compromise. I'm going to put in forced english subtitles, that go on automatically when you view the commentary. The audio is still there too, but I really think the subtitles are necessary for anyone to understand me. If all goes well, I should have all the subtitles done by the end of the day, and hence I should also have the DVD ready for uploading.

EDIT: Hah, just made the following subtitle for some of my babbling, consider it a preview of the "quality" to come: QuickLax, the best goddamn laxative ever made! Give me some of 'dat. I don't really think he should drink that much, I mean laxatives are powerful, powerful stuff and if you take that kind of a gallop, it's just huge.

Back
Top Bottom