• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

James Cameron's Avatar & The Way of Water (SPOILERS!)

Yes I do. For cgi to be good, at least for me, it has to make you believe that what you're seeing on screen is real, or is really happening, but when watching the trailer and tv spots it feels more like I'm watching ads for video games. I am not a fan of cgi-orgasm movies and the cgi in Avatar really removes the believability factor for me.

can you give me a few examples of believable cgi in films?

I don't care about this film, I don't want to care about this film, and the amount of hype it's receiving is making me hate its mere existence. It might be held up in the future as the next Star Wars or something but you know what, it's not going to make me want to watch it.

Why? Because I hate even the concept of it. It's the sickly-sweet and utterly hackneyed Eco-Friendlyâ„¢ Native Oppressed Peoplesâ„¢ tale that makes me want to punch kittens. There's a general odour about the whole setup that makes me feel ill, like watching Cameron's white guilt surface or something. And no matter how he tries to dress it up in fancy clothes, it's still there. And it stinks.

The story of Avatar is not one I want to see. Especially when dressed up in hideous CGI and rubbery blue aliens.

I suppose what is going to happen is, this film will kick off a huge fuss about 3D which will blow up into a hype the size of the 80's fad. Lots and lots and lots of really shitty films will be made to capitalise on it. Thanks to the amount of shit, people will stop watching 3D films. Then the format will die, only to surface in another 10 or 20 years time.

It's a shame really, because the format doesn't deserve it any more. The 3D I have seen in the cinema is far, far better than the awful coloured lenses of previous times. It's there, it's just right, it might need some tweaking for people with slight sight disorders, but on a technical basis we've achieved believable 3D video.

It will die, and resurface in 10 or 20 years. Because of overhyped crap like this, and the line of shit that will follow.

Why? Because I hate even the concept of it. It's the sickly-sweet and utterly hackneyed Eco-Friendlyâ„¢ Native Oppressed Peoplesâ„¢ tale that makes me want to punch kittens. There's a general odour about the whole setup that makes me feel ill, like watching Cameron's white guilt surface or something. And no matter how he tries to dress it up in fancy clothes, it's still there. And it stinks.

I like this kind of reason to hate movie....but saying: "movie is crap 'cos cgi sux" is unconvincing for me.

I suppose what is going to happen is, this film will kick off a huge fuss about 3D which will blow up into a hype the size of the 80's fad. Lots and lots and lots of really shitty films will be made to capitalise on it. Thanks to the amount of shit, people will stop watching 3D films. Then the format will die, only to surface in another 10 or 20 years time.

I really dont care....Im not going to watch Avatar in 3d.

I suppose Cameron's become a master of creating films that people only realise are crap a long time after the hype has died down.

I suppose Cameron's become a master of creating films that people only realise are crap a long time after the hype has died down.

only movie which fits to that statement is titanic

I can say nothing more so far. I have to wait till december 25th when I'll watch it ..but Im pretty sure Avatar is great film and f/x or quality of cgi are last reason why...

Ghostcut said:
I don't care about this film, I don't want to care about this film, and the amount of hype it's receiving is making me hate its mere existence. It might be held up in the future as the next Star Wars or something but you know what, it's not going to make me want to watch it.

The story of Avatar is not one I want to see. Especially when dressed up in hideous CGI and rubbery blue aliens.

That's a pretty extreme reaction given you haven't seen the film, Ghostcut. Not every film about the oppression of native peoples has its roots in "white guilt". Why can't such films document and explore a particular culture, period or series of events in history?

From what I have read, the film is more about what humans in general, not just those of a particular group, are doing to the planet, with the Na'vi showing a supposedly higher side to human nature. I think guilt about environmental damage is far from limited to one group of humans, and other productions have shown human beings as an often dangerous force, without the motivations you ascribe to Cameron.

Why is the CGI hideous - or do you hate all films based on CGI?

Punching kittens? :-?

I cant wait to see it in 3D - hopefully this Saturday!

The CGI looks pretty great to my eye, at least as great as a fictional blue creature can look.
Its called suspension of disbelief and it runs strong w/ me.

I get that some people wont like the "pro-environment" propaganda buried in the film, but I dont mind. after all - The Abyss is my favorite Cameron film and its chock full of "save the ocean" messages.

I dont wish to challenge other's opinions because they are all valid in their own regard, but I refuse to judge a book by its cover, unless the author is Uwe Boll.

segway to...

On a Uwe Boll sidenote - I saw (while browsing netflix) that he has completed and released his *ahem* "film adaptation" of FarCry. I tried to watch it but turned it off after 10 minutes.

Ghostcut said:
It's the sickly-sweet and utterly hackneyed Eco-Friendlyâ„¢ Native Oppressed Peoplesâ„¢ tale that makes me want to punch kittens.
Supposedly Cameron had a lot of kittens on staff, including several in the Visual Effects Department.

Maybe I aready said that but usualy CGI characters look great in close up of faces (because we see all the nice details), but tend to look fake when we see the whole body in action.
AVATAR CGI looks great from what I've seen so far, but still have that "near/far" problem in some of the shots of the trailers.
That said a new Cameron SiFi movie is a must see IMO.

voodl said:
can you give me a few examples of believable cgi in films?

Although I hate the very idea of cgi I will admit that there are many films out there for which it works. The Harry Potter and The Lord Of The Rings films, Sin City, The Spirit, the Hellboy and X-Men movies to name a few as well as many action films that don't use cgi as drastically. My problem with the cgi in Avatar is that it looks too much like a videogame. If the film was done completely in cgi that might not be a problem but when they mix in the live action with it it just makes it too hard to believe that what we're seeing could be real.

Captain Khajiit said:
That's a pretty extreme reaction given you haven't seen the film, Ghostcut. Not every film about the oppression of native peoples has its roots in "white guilt". Why can't such films document and explore a particular culture, period or series of events in history?

That's just it, I don't want to see it. You can attribute everything I've said to pre-conceived notions and put the matter to bed. But I know for sure that all I'm going to hear for the next few years is why you MUST go and see this turd, it's BRILLIANT, it's a MASTERPIECE, you'll LIKE IT, no I bloody WON'T, get LOST.

The tale can be told without stupid-looking rubbery blue anime aliens.

Captain Khajiit said:
From what I have read, the film is more about what humans in general, not just those of a particular group, are doing to the planet, with the Na'vi showing a supposedly higher side to human nature. I think guilt about environmental damage is far from limited to one group of humans, and other productions have shown human beings as an often dangerous force, without the motivations you ascribe to Cameron.

Bleh.

Captain Khajiit said:
Why is the CGI hideous - or do you hate all films based on CGI?

I hate the film's visual style.

Captain Khajiit said:
Punching kittens? :-?

PHOTO_4544825_72667_4757282_main.jpg

By the way, can someone tell me a worse alien design than giant blue kittens? I'm trying to think of something, but apart from Ewoks, I'm blank.

sorry guys but I dont get some of you who hates Avatar's quality of cgi... Pandora is completely different world. It shouldnt look real! what do you want? to see another version of earth?.... and tell me something: is this frog looks real? or it is just crappy, unbelievable cgi.....yeah, on planet earth are creatures that looks unbelievable too.

frog.jpg

:razz:

I entirely agree with you, voodl. I think the CGI will be fine, and that blue frog looks fantastic. The Na'vi look much better realized than some of Star Trek's "aliens", and few people mind them.

Back
Top Bottom