• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

James Bond 007 - Never Say Never Again - 40th Anniversary EON Cut

What do you think of the unused Phyllis Hymann title song and did you ever consider using it for the fanedit?
I love the singer's voice but I can't say that I'm fond of the song itself. It has a melancholic tone similar to For Your Eyes Only (another song that's not a favourite of mine). I never intended to use it because I wanted a theme that had more bombast and excitement. I'm a bit biased when it comes to Bond music. John Barry scores in particular. I adore the Golden period of Bond scores, so many different styles in a short space of time. Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (in my opinion) was the great Bond theme that got away.

Ultimately rejected in favour for a newly composed theme song matching the title, Thunderball. Yes, the better song was chosen in the end but both songs are still great. That's why I chose MKKBB for my version, it's a theme composed by John Barry, it was originally proposed for Thunderball and seeing that NSNA is a remake of Thunderball, I thought.... why not. I know that on my YouTube channel, I've received criticism in regards to the choice of song. Some who wanted the Phyllis Hyman song, even some people who wanted the original Lani Hall song instead (why?😑).

I understand that many people like the Phyllis Hyman song and fair enough. It is a good song and considerably, a better song than the Lani Hall version. But as I mentioned before, it's not what I want for a Bond theme. I think knowing how John Barry operated as a composer, he stipulated that he was involved in composing the main title theme for his Bond scores, even if it a co-writing credit. So for consistency, as I used John Barry cues from his previous work on other films as a re-imagined score for my NSNA edit, it makes sense to use a song that he composed.

Apologies for the long winded response.🤓

I love the singer's voice but I can't say that I'm fond of the song itself. It has a melancholic tone similar to For Your Eyes Only (another song that's not a favourite of mine). I never intended to use it because I wanted a theme that had more bombast and excitement. I'm a bit biased when it comes to Bond music. John Barry scores in particular. I adore the Golden period of Bond scores, so many different styles in a short space of time. Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (in my opinion) was the great Bond theme that got away.

Ultimately rejected in favour for a newly composed theme song matching the title, Thunderball. Yes, the better song was chosen in the end but both songs are still great. That's why I chose MKKBB for my version, it's a theme composed by John Barry, it was originally proposed for Thunderball and seeing that NSNA is a remake of Thunderball, I thought.... why not. I know that on my YouTube channel, I've received criticism in regards to the choice of song. Some who wanted the Phyllis Hyman song, even some people who wanted the original Lani Hall song instead (why?😑).

I understand that many people like the Phyllis Hyman song and fair enough. It is a good song and considerably, a better song than the Lani Hall version. But as I mentioned before, it's not what I want for a Bond theme. I think knowing how John Barry operated as a composer, he stipulated that he was involved in composing the main title theme for his Bond scores, even if it a co-writing credit. So for consistency, as I used John Barry cues from his previous work on other films as a re-imagined score for my NSNA edit, it makes sense to use a song that he composed.

Apologies for the long winded response.🤓
No worries and thanks for the response. I do agree that the use of MKKBB is consistent with most of the John Barry scores that are being implemented for the fan edit. Maybe if Phyllis Hymann's theme was used on the end credits of the film as a farewell to Sean Connery since this is his last performance as Bond, it could probably work? Like how Licence to Kill had the title opening sung by Gladys Knight which starts off bombastic and then the end credits have If You Ask Me To sung by Patti Labelle which comes into a perfect soothing closure for a revenge film and in a way Dalton's performance as Bond.

The render is complete. Unfortunately, I had some trouble trying to record my audio commentary the other day. Managed to fix the problem but it means I have to re-record the commentary from scratch tomorrow. Once that's finished, I need to figure out how the hell I attach it to the video file as a second audio track.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I've decided to abandon the audio commentary. Not happy with the audio quality or quality of the commentary. So I'm going to submit the fan edit as is.

Back
Top Bottom