• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Interstellar: Where We're Going

Really looking forward to this, hope I get to see it!
Welcome. All you have to do is PM the editor. Also, as a new member please don't forget to review the forum guidelines. If you have any questions please reach out to staff. Again, welcome.

I've uploaded a smaller h265 (3GB) file, in case anyone wants to avoid the 9GB download. I'll play with some other encodings in the coming days. Film grain is mostly lost with the 3GB file.

I thoroughly enjoyed your edit! Actually, I enjoyed it more than the original film; the video and audio trims, cuts and transitions are all seamless. You have managed to vastly improve the pacing, without damaging the flow or content of the story.
@ArtisDead mentioned to me that your edit had some great examples of music placement, and he wasn't wrong! The timing of the music was great, and never seemed forced or out of place. I really like the work done by the director Christopher Nolan (since I first saw Memento years ago); whilst I enjoyed Interstellar, I thought (rather subjectively) that the pacing could be improved upon, which is precisely what your edit has done!
Kudos to you -- this is a great edit!

Thank you @Phase3 ! I appreciate you taking the time to watch the movie and share your thoughts.

I'm a fan of Nolan as well. I keep thinking I should turn my attention to Tenet, but that movie has the opposite problem: It's already so heavily edited there's barely any room to maneuver. Some of the dialogue doesn't even make sense, but it screams by so fast you barely notice the characters aren't talking like real people. It's like Mamet but without any space to breathe.

I agree with you about Tenet; it's a great film, but I can't think of what can be trimmed or cut haha! As you rightly noted, there isn't much room to move regarding editing, and it does flow at a really good pace already.
When I watched it, to me the language felt more abstract in a way -- not too obvious, which is fantastic! :)

Thank you @Phase3 ! I appreciate you taking the time to watch the movie and share your thoughts.

I'm a fan of Nolan as well. I keep thinking I should turn my attention to Tenet, but that movie has the opposite problem: It's already so heavily edited there's barely any room to maneuver. Some of the dialogue doesn't even make sense, but it screams by so fast you barely notice the characters aren't talking like real people. It's like Mamet but without any space to breathe.

Many thank-yous to everyone who's left a review, most recently @Phase3 @Roc and @FrameSniffer

Sometimes leaving a review is harder than watching the two hour movie, so thank you. :)

This feedback has given me the confidence to keep going and see what else I can fix from the back catalog of movies sitting in my head that I like but could maybe like better...

Thanks again for creating such an amazing edit. Your patience with us during the review process was beyond amiable. I'm very proud to have played a small part. 😁

Thank you, ArtisDead, but it should be me thanking you and @Wraith for all the patience. Fortunately, my workflow no longer involves rendering for 13 hours just to tweak one volume keyframe. :p

User @Gondowan has kindly created Spanish subtitles for this edit! They are now included with the distribution.

Many thank-yous to everyone who's left a review, most recently @Phase3 @Roc and @FrameSniffer

Sometimes leaving a review is harder than watching the two hour movie, so thank you. :)

This feedback has given me the confidence to keep going and see what else I can fix from the back catalog of movies sitting in my head that I like but could maybe like better...

The dark knight rises could use some loving. That movie disappoints me every time I watch it.

Agreed, and yet of the three I tend to spin that one up the most even though it's hugely inferior to TDK. I think it's the instant gratification from that opening scene. I love every second of it.

This is the best version of this movie. The added music fits so perfectly that it seems it was meant to be. Your editing is unnoticeable and your song choices genius. Especially, Sounds of Silence. I will officially review soon. The trailer is excellent, made me want to see the edit.

Thank you, I really appreciate that. Credit to @ArtisDead for Sound of Silence in the closing moments and @Wraith for helping me work in nine other Simon and Garfunkel songs to tie it all together in a way that was thematically consistent.

Last edited:
It may be worth speaking briefly to the music now that the edit has been out for a while.

Sound of Silence is the bedrock of the piece. It took only a few very minor shot rearrangements for the lyrics to line up perfectly with the imagery in the final few minutes. It's weirdly perfect. I can point to so many things that just fit, from "walk alone" to "split the sky" to "cobblestones", and so on. We first hear SoS as Cooper leaves the hospital for the first time, but it's just a short loop of the opening (created by Wraith). It serves as foreshadowing to the second time Cooper leaves the hospital (this time after visiting Murphy), and then plays out in full.

In total, there are ten S&G songs in the movie. When we're on Earth, they are diagetic: A radio in the kitchen, a radio in Cooper's truck, a radio in Murphy's Jeep. When we are away from Earth they are non-diagetic and more soundtrack. We hear Scarborough Fair/Canticle as we leave orbit, and then we hear it again as a subtle acoustic guitar as we return to Earth (meeting between Donald and Brand), then it resumes we we return to space (shots of Saturn). I tried to keep this Earth/Sky divide consistent. The other rule I tried to follow was to keep the music associated with vehicles in motion: A truck, a Jeep, multiple Rangers, The Endurance. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

nA8SXGS.png

I'm creating a fan-edit of Interstellar (2014). The plot is largely intact, including the main through-line about love perhaps being more than a surface-level emotion. This cut retains the epilogue that many seem to detest. There are elements of it that I like enough to retain it, though I've made some adjustments.

Objectives
  • Remove some of the forced conflict, in particular the third act tension between Murphy and Tom on the farm.
  • Try to make some of the dialog sound more natural.
  • Improve pacing by removing some of the exposition and world-building that doesn't necessarily serve the plot.
  • Remove some of the forced humour and one-liners (I realize that's subjective).
There were some bigger, more ambitious things I wanted to do with this edit in service of trying to remove exposition, fix continuity errors, and otherwise make the characters behave more logically, but these things are no longer within the scope of this project. At the end of the day, this movie/story is still quite flawed, in my opinion, but these adjustments improve the experience, at least for me.

Change Log
  • Adjusted "Interstellar" title.
  • Adjusted initial dialog between Cooper and Murphy. Murphy asks if he was dreaming about the crash sooner. Only one "back to bed".
  • Added credit interstitials.
  • Removed, "That's not a dust storm." line as Cooper leaves the house.
  • Removed "old man" / "repopulate the earth" joke.
  • Fixed Murphy shifting. She was pushing the gear shift in the wrong direction for second gear.
  • Removed most of the gear grinding before the flat tire. If the gears are grinding, it's a problem with the clutch, not what Murphy is doing.
  • In the meeting between Cooper, the principle, and Ms Hanly, removed digression about tax dollars and their allocation.
  • Shortened faked moon landing discussion slightly.
  • Removed "We used to look up in the sky and wonder at our place in the stars".
  • During the first dust storm, removed shot of the rear-view mirror since I reused it later in the movie.
  • At NASA, removed Cooper's vacuum cleaner joke (lawn mower joke left intact).
  • Reworked conference room scene:
  • * Adjusted Cooper's pronunciation of "Brand". UPDATE: Unable to fix this to my satisfaction.
  • * Removed "supernatural" line and eye roll.
  • * Removed "...nobody stumbles out".
  • * Removed Amelia's smirk when Murphy says, "It was gravity".
  • * Removed line about leaving in the trunk of a car.
  • * Doyle now laughs about Cooper not realizing he's at NASA (instead of laughing at Cooper's worry about his daughter's safety).
  • While Brand is trying to convince Cooper to fly the mission:
  • * Removed "we need a pilot".
  • * Adjusted cadence of "and this is the mission you were trained for" and placed it after, "...never left the simulator".
  • * Moved, "...but something sent you" after "we had no choice": "We had no choice, but something sent you here..."
  • During Cooper's briefing on the plan,
  • * Removed Amelia's, "...that's no long shot".
  • * Removed "There's a plan A and a plan B".
  • * Moved Brand's, "Did you notice anything strange..." line ahead to the next scene.
  • Removed Cooper's, "We farmers, we sit here every year..." line.
  • While Cooper is talking to Murphy about leaving, removed the "...I can't be your ghost, I have to exist" dialog.
  • Removed Murphy's exaggerated kick when Donald catches her as she runs out of the house.
  • Compressed leaving orbit scene and removed poem.
  • While getting ready for hibernation, removed Amelia's, "That's what I love. You know, out there, we face great odds..." line.
  • Shortened transit of Saturn (35s -> 15s)
  • Removed scene where Romilly explains why the wormhole looks the way it does.
  • Removed Amelia's "first handshake" line while they traverse the wormhole.
  • While discussing Miller's planet, removed forced conflict between Cooper and Doyle.
  • Removed, "That's relativity, folks".
  • During air-braking scene,
  • * Added silent flashback to Cooper's crash.
  • * Removed one of the external shots (altitude and lateral speed didn't match final CG shot)
  • * During Doyle's death, fixed small continuity issue where Amelia abruptly turns to the right.
  • After Doyle's death, while Amelia and Cooper are talking,
  • * Removed explanation from CASE about the signal repeating.
  • * Removed Amelia's dialog about gravity moving across dimensions (including time).
  • * Removed discussion of the beings and how they might perceive time.
  • * Removed, "..but you knew about relativity".
  • After returning to the Endurance, removed Amelia's, "reality's different" line.
  • Removed Brand's broadcast to Amelia where he's reading the poem, and also removed the poem voice-over from the preceding scene.
  • While discussing which planet to visit next, removed some of the socio-utility-of-love lines.
  • After the cut back to the farm, removed the dinner table scene, as it primarily serves to set up the later tension around leaving when we hear Cooper Jr. cough. I kept the preceding scene with Murphy and Tom where they survey the burning corn, as we need to understand the stakes have been raised (corn is no longer immune to blight), and it's a nice moment with Tom.
  • After Murphy learns the truth about plan A,
  • * Removed the poem.
  • * Removed scene on the Endurance as the Ranger leaves for Mann's and we see the beginning of Murphy's broadcast.
  • * Removed frozen cloud.
  • * Adjusted curves/contrast/colour for one of the exterior shots while the ranger is landing.
  • During the revelation on Mann's planet,
  • * Removed "monstrous lie".
  • * Removed "You never would have...evolution has yet to..." dialog.
  • * After this scene cut to Cooper preparing to go home, rather than the shot of Murphy entering the farmhouse (that comes later).
  • During the subsequent scenes, beginning with Mann and Cooper leaving to survey the landing site and ending with Romilly's death:
  • * Removed discussion around the power of human connection.
  • * Removed discussion around survival instinct, and seeing your kids before death.
  • * Instead of cutting to Murphy at the farmhouse, cut to Romilly investigating KIPP.
  • * Removed one of Mann's "yes". He now says "yes" three times instead of four.
  • * Removed the 50/50 odds joke.
  • * Removed the poem.
  • * Removed Mann asking if Cooper sees his children.
  • * Removed cuts to the farmhouse and Murphy burning the corn, etc.
  • * After the explosion, added music, removed cut to farmhouse.
  • * Removed cut to the farmhouse while Mann is entering orbit.
  • During Docking,
  • * Removed "it's not possible"..."no, it's necessary".
  • * Removed "Now for our next trick" and Amelia's laugh.
  • After Cooper asks how bad the damage is, cut to Murphy and Getty discussing how worthless Brand's equation is.
  • Different music while Murphy tells Getty about her ghost (while waiting for the storm to clear).
  • Removed, "Manually?"..."That's what I'm here for.".
  • Removed, "What about the time slippage?"..."Well, none of us have time to worry about relativity".
  • While Cooper outlines the plan to use Gargantua, cut to Murphy arriving at the farm house and entering the bedroom.
  • After the slingshot, while Cooper is falling into Gargantua, removed his yell before he passes out. Instead, he passes out silently like how Amelia did during docking.
  • Inside the tesseract, there are cuts back to Murphy in the bedroom, as before, except for any scene related to the original version where we are worried about Tom returning home.
  • Different music during the tesseract scene (in some places).
  • Removed, "Love TARS, love".
  • Removed scene where Murphy hugs Tom after figuring out the watch. Instead, cut from her realization to working on the math.
  • During Murphy's eureka moment, she no longer kisses Getty.
  • After the tesseract closes, removed explicit shots of Cooper going through the wormhole. First handshake still happens, but we don't see that it's Cooper (maybe it is, maybe it isn't).
  • Adjusted dialog during the hospital scene.
  • * Removed extra "take it slow".
  • * Removed "spring chicken" dialog.
  • * Adjusted pacing.
  • Removed scene in the hallway while Cooper is being taken to his house.
  • Removed TARS asking, "Is this really what it was like?". (I prefer the idea that TARS kept his memories from Earth)
  • Removed voice-over from Murphy as the movie ends.
I love this movie - it’s like our 2001?? But I agree too much exposition and it becomes almost an action movie for a while - which I imagine was for the studios or for casual movie goers I get it. And I agree some of the little jokes get annoying. Can’t wait to watch this! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom