• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Interstellar: Where We're Going

Hello

I am currently in the process of recreating this edit completely from scratch in Vegas. I barely knew what I was doing in 2022, and the current version has many small audio issues I wasn't able to perceive back then.

I'm approaching each item that I want to fix with fresh perspective. Some of the items I simply won't try to fix this time around. For example, I'm still fixing the goof of Murphy pushing forward on the gear stick for 2nd gear, but I'm not going to fix the flack they give her for grinding third because I don't think I can do it in a way that feels seamless.

Most of the core changes remain, including the complete removal of the farmhouse conflict corn-burning contrivance.

This new version will be released in black and white. I think a lot of the photography in this film looks stunning in b&w, so I'm taking on the challenge of trying to present the entire film this way. I will likely release a colour version as well, since there's virtually no additional effort for that, but my focus will be on converting to b&w once the core editing is complete.

coop1.png

Regarding music, my current plan is to keep this 100% Hans Zimmer this time, though I'm on the fence. If I use Simon & Garfunkel again, I'll have a more restrained hand (eg. 2-3 fewer song placements). I like the idea of a purist Zimmer version so that's what I'm targeting now.

This edit is as much for the community as it is for me, so if you have any particular requests or have any strong feelings on the direction (eg. keep S&G), please share.

My original 2022 release will remain available upon request. I'll be revising the IFDB listing and updating the poster when this 2024 version is complete.

This time around I'm trying to solve the "45 to an hour" plot hole. Thoughts?
pw = fanedit

This time around I'm trying to solve the "45 to an hour" plot hole. Thoughts?
pw = fanedit
I must have missed it! Can you elaborate on what that plot hole consist of? Im currently rewatching your edit. Should I be rewatching the original?

CASE says it will be "45 to an hour" for the engines to drain. Then Cooper and Brand sit and talk for two minutes, see a wave approaching, a CASE says "a minute or two", so the time doesn't add up. Here, I've removed a good chunk of their conversation (stuff about how "the beings" perceive time, which Amelia should know nothing about, jumping into a black hole, talking through gravity; all stuff that goes way beyond foreshadowing), and I'm using a cut-away to the planet from space to (try to) create the impression of time passing. Ideally, there'd be long crossfades between shots of them moving about the ship in frustration, but alas.

Could you only remove the shot when cooper says how much time? And the answer that goes with it? It is establish that the engines are flooded, maybe we dont need an ETA

The time is important, though. We need to feel like the mistake has cost them many minutes (which translates to many years). Does the cut-away feel natural?

They still say right after:
- how much is that gonna cost us?
- decades.
I feel like this is enough but I also only re-watched this scene so I may be missing a thing or two.

And I'm sure you can keep Cooper removing his helmet if you only cut that 3 second of dialogue between Coper and CASE. I don't see any continuity errors happening. But you may have a bigger understanding of the scene and/or larger goal than just removing those conflicting information. I'm also not sure what was left before the clip you shared. Is this conversation intact or completely removed or somewhere in between?

To answer your question, the cut is well made and does what it has to do visually. The sound of water comes in abruptly though.
Except that the shot feels kind of weird, to me at least, because it almost looks like a still image. I know it is as we see it earlier but it also felt weird in the original, in my opinion.
I don't know if that helps.

Thanks. I'm repurposing that shot, so it won't be doubled-up in the final edit. It's been slowed substantially, with grain restored, but I'll add some more movement to it. The water sound was added by me to add some sonic texture against the music (also added by me), but I'll make it a touch subtler.

I think the cutaway to space works in theory, but the execution feels a little abrupt. I expected the camera to linger on her face for longer. I can't comment on the narrative tweaks as I don't remember the film well enough. This was also in my phone, so I'd have to rewatch on another device to comment on audio editing.

Rewatched on headphones. So the main thing for me is:

- length of time we rest on her face
- the sudden drop-out of room acoustics, followed by the water noise coming in. I think there needs to be a less abrupt shift in audio at that point. Since it's a brief cutaway from the scene, maybe carrying the general room ambience through the cutaway will bring a consistent element and make it less jarring on the ear. hard to say.

I can't linger on her face without slowing down the shot, but I can cut to Cooper sitting down in frustration before the cut, which might work better. I'm currently testing an alternate version that cuts back to an aerial shot of the water, before we cut back to the Ranger.

K, two more concepts:

1. Hard-cut to water with abrupt cut to music to convey a time skip:

2. Gradual cross fade to water, with easing of music into ocean sounds to convey time progression:

I can massage sound, music, timing further. For now, just trying to settle on a strategy that feels convincing...

Thanks!

Might not have time to look till Monday but will try and remember to watch and feedback. If no one else does and I forget, feel free to bump me.

Might not have time to look till Monday but will try and remember to watch and feedback. If no one else does and I forget, feel free to bump me.
All good, no rush. It's been fun revisiting this.

I prefer the second one with the fade, I wish it could be longer though. I'm not sure if the shot of the ocean is from the movie or from somewhere else but if timing is restricted maybe using footage from another source could work for a longer fade. If the black hole shot is too short for a longer fade, maybe the ocean could fade into something else after the first fade. like the sitting ship or to Brand. that's making a lot of fades though...
I'm not fan of the ticking sound. if it felt like percussions coming from the music, maybe it could incorporate better? just a thought

just re-watched the first version. I think it's not so bad after all. I flinched at the abrupt cut the first time but it probably works better than my too many fades suggestion.... I believe the end of the music is what makes me unsure, the water sounds work for me. Have you tried with a different music or sound.

I can extend both the blackhole/planet and the water shots to make the timing feel better. I added "Tick Tock" to emphasize the urgency, but I can try without. The waves are actually royalty-free stock footage. I super-imposed a second copy of it at a 45 degree angle to create the moire effect seen earlier in the movie. Then b&w, 16:9, and slowed to 23.976 fps. I'm glad it didn't scream "stock footage" to you. :) I agree, the long cross dissolve feels better, but I also think the abrupt cut can work if I sort out the timing.

I'm glad it didn't scream "stock footage" to you. :)
I doubted it was not from the movie only because I watched it a couple of times yesterday, and could not remember that particular one, but my memory is not always that faithful!
The shot feels perfectly fine in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom