• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I enjoyed the trailer and am cautiously optimistic about the movie. Then again I also kinda like Crystal Skull (I was seven when the movie came out so I didn’t have any expectations to get crushed lol) but we’ll see how this movie turns out

Just watched the trailer...

I've rarely had a visceral reaction like I had to that trailer. I genuinely almost turned it off 1 second into the very first shot but thankfully I watched the whole thing, and am now fully vaccinated against the thought of ever entertaining the idea that I would want to pay to watch this movie. Given how horrendous the last one was, I had about a 1% expectation of this being good, but never in my wildest dreams did I think they could've made something this bad by accident, or did they deliberately set out to make the sh*test looking/sounding Indy sequel imaginable, on every conceivable technical level! It makes Crystal Skull look like Raiders. I think we'll soon be wistfully looking back at the halcyon days of this franchise when Shia LaBeouf swinging with CGI monkeys was the low point. I don't even want to watch the trailer a 2nd time, because hopefully if I drink enough, I can forget what I saw.

NlR.gif

Film composers rarely do the music for the trailer, especially in recent times. This is definitely done by a production company using Williams' Raiders theme as a basis.

Even if that is the case, that still doesn't mean it had to be bland. Contrast the music in this trailer with the music for this trailer:

Pretending for a second that none of us have seen the sequel trilogy, I would gladly spend my $10 per ticket to watch that movie, as opposed to this movie just on the music choices alone. Both are Lucasfilm properties, but here's one that gets me really excited and here's one that makes me go, "meh..."

I dunno, I liked the Indy trailer well enough. It definitely gave a bit of excitement and added enough intrigue to keep me interested in learning more, though I am admittedly a big Indy fan. The advertising campaign for The Force Awakens was tremendous and easily what all brands should be trying to achieve, though having JJ himself working on the trailers likely had a big influence on that. This trailer for Indy unfortunately is just a cut and paste of most trailers nowadays with the slow piano start, the slowed down version of the main theme for the main portion, and then a funny end tag to end things out. Hopefully the full trailer will do better but whatever company is doing these trailers lately have been far too predictable and cookie cutter.

The way I see it, like Han Solo, what we like about the character of Indiana Jones is something that he should evolve out of. But that ends up making the character not very compelling. Indy is in a lot of ways a selfish jerk. But we can’t have an 80 year old Indy that never grew at all. The best way to handle something like this is to continually reset for each movie like James Bond (used to do). But no one wants to see a recast Indy. 🤷‍♂️ I just think the franchise has outlived its appeal.

I am inclined to believe those rumors about those test screenings, tbh. I willl hold of on watching it untill the actual user reviews come in.

Last edited:
The way I see it, like Han Solo, what we like about the character of Indiana Jones is something that he should evolve out of. But that ends up making the character not very compelling. Indy is in a lot of ways a selfish jerk. But we can’t have an 80 year old Indy that never grew at all. The best way to handle something like this is to continually reset for each movie like James Bond (used to do). But no one wants to see a recast Indy. 🤷‍♂️ I just think the franchise has outlived its appeal.
Tbh I know plenty of old people who haven't changed mentally at all since their 50's. (I'm 34 myself)
Indiana Jones could very much the same person he always was, just maybe a sadder to look at because he's so old now. Ford was great in Bladerunner and still looks the part well enough. I like closing this era with one last film, but it doesn't at all look like the film it should have been.

#staff
@DonkeyKonga , please refrain from bringing politics into your posts. It's ok to not like something, but this is not the community to express your personal interpretation of politics or society's direction. If you need to vent, Twitter has dumpster fires to warm your hands 🐦

#staff
@DonkeyKonga , please refrain from bringing politics into your posts. It's ok to not like something, but this is not the community to express your personal interpretation of politics or society's direction. If you need to vent, Twitter has dumpster fires to warm your hands 🐦
I edited the post. It wasn't meant as a rant about politics itself. There are plenty of social commentary movies I absolutely adore. Suffice to say Indiana Jones isn't one of them lmao.

This newer, shorter trailer looks like less of an abomination:

Having the JW theme playing loud and proud works better, plus more teases of young Indy and generally seeing less of a bad thing helps. At least this trailer makes me want to watch an Indy movie, rather than make me want to burn my Indy DVDs, like the first trailer did.

This newer, shorter trailer looks like less of an abomination:

Having the JW theme playing loud and proud works better, plus more teases of young Indy and generally seeing less of a bad thing helps. At least this trailer makes me want to watch an Indy movie, rather than make me want to burn my Indy DVDs, like the first trailer did.
Damage is already done though. We've already seen that awful whip sequence and the terrible face on the horse riding lol.

Those are a couple of brief shots in a 2 hour movie though. Even the original trilogy had their fair share of shoddy looking things. We look past it because the film around them is so good. If this film is the same then a couple of quick bad shots (which may have already been fixed) will hardly be a big deal.

Those are a couple of brief shots in a 2 hour movie though. Even the original trilogy had their fair share of shoddy looking things. We look past it because the film around them is so good. If this film is the same then a couple of quick bad shots (which may have already been fixed) will hardly be a big deal.
Agreed. It begs the questions WHY would they put this in the trailer at all if they know it's going to be poorly received? After Indy 4 you'd think they'd try to win fans over with only the good stuff. If this is in the trailer that suggests that there's worse material than this.

Usually trailers are not made by the same people making the movie, they get a bunch of footage dumped on them and a few finished VFX shots and piece it into something cohesive. In a perfect world trailers would be representative of the final product without giving away spoilers, but imperfection persists.

I don't think we can or will know whether the movie is bad or good based only off these.

Why sympathy for the Devil in the latest trailer? That doesn't ring like Indiana Jones at all. It really feels like Disney is just throwing everything at the walls hoping something will stick. Unless they're referencing to themselves lol in which case well done. I also think de-aging is a huge mistake. Will skip this one in the theatre and just watch it when available on the sofa so I can just turn it off if it's too disappointing.

Why sympathy for the Devil in the latest trailer? That doesn't ring like Indiana Jones at all. It really feels like Disney is just throwing everything at the walls hoping something will stick. Unless they're referencing to themselves lol in which case well done. I also think de-aging is a huge mistake. Will skip this one in the theatre and just watch it when available on the sofa so I can just turn it off if it's too disappointing.
It's meant to be set around 1969 and to show how Indy is kinda out of place in the time right then.

And the de aging is only gonna be in the beginning, not throughout the movie.

Back
Top Bottom