• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

TomH1138 said:
... one or more of those films will tank.

no they won't.  people will go to those movies based on title alone.

other movies from other studies, likely much better movies, sink faster than a Carnival Cruise ship.

is this newest Indy movie going to the be hand-off to the next generation?
it felt like that's what Kingdom was supposed to be until the movie didn't turn out as expected and Shia didn't turn out as expected.

^ I've never heard the filmmakers had any misgivings about Shia at the time of the movie's release. Ford mainly just loves the character (IIRC, there were rumors he agreed to do The Force Awakens in part because they promised him one last Indy go-round), and I don't think anyone at Disney has yet talked about any replacement.

Anyhow, I had an idea for a hand-off a while back I thought was pretty darn cool, if I may say so myself; and here it is:

------------------------
At the risk of ripping off an idea from The Last Crusade, how about: the opening sequence features a new, recast young Indy. He has a thrilling adventure scene, but then is about to be captured - how will he possibly escape?! Cut to the present, and Indy is telling Marion/Mutt/whoever the tale when he's interrupted by an urgent visitor who sets the plot in motion, a plot which coincidentally has to do with the thing the young Indy was chasing in that very story. The movie happens.

Then, in the final scene, as they're relaxing around the fireplace, Marion/Mutt/whoever says "by the way, just how did you survive that certain death from the opening sequence?" Ford grins, says, "that's a funny story"; we cut back to the past and the young Indy, something surprising happens, and -

CREDITS, with the next movie following said young Indy, picking up right where the story left off.
------------------------

:cool:

^ A handover movie? Sounds great but 'Star Trek: Generations' probably sounded like a great idea too :D . As long as it isn't an "origins" story I'm on board. Like you suggest, we need to start with the adventure already in progress.

I always liked the idea of Indy discovering the Fountain of Youth, and emerging from it as Chris Pratt.

I think if they were going to do a hand off movie, the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles approach would be best.

Building on what @"Gaith" was saying, you could basically have the following films just be an older Indy telling his stories from his youth and Ford could bookend them.

Zamros said:
I always liked the idea of Indy discovering the Fountain of Youth, and emerging from it as Chris Pratt.

"I feel like a whole new person!"

TM2YC said:
A handover movie? Sounds great but 'Star Trek: Generations' probably sounded like a great idea too :D . As long as it isn't an "origins" story I'm on board. Like you suggest, we need to start with the adventure already in progress.

Heyy, I love Generations. It remains the best Trek movie since TUC.  :cool:

TM2YC said:
As long as it isn't an "origins" story I'm on board. Like you suggest, we need to start with the adventure already in progress.

I actually do kind of want an origin story, or at least a very early, 20-something Indy adventure. If it tramples over the Young Indiana Jones continuity, that's fine with me. (I also want a 20-something James Bond in WW2 origin story.)

indy is the forrest gump of the supernatural world. i hope they keep him that way.

ssj said:
indy is the forrest gump of the supernatural world. i hope they keep him that way.

My momma always said, "Life's like a box of ancient tablets. You never know what you're gonna get... apart from the face melting. Always expect the face melting".

ha. the ancient aliens weren't supernatural enough, if at all.
one of the many missteps of episode 4.

Official trailer for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny dropped!
indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-poster.jpg

Aren’t you glad you use Dial? Sorry, that’s what I think of when I hear that title. 🤣

Honestly, this doesnt look like something I would want to watch :/ Plastic looking modern blockbuster without the oldschool feel. I've never rewatched KOTCS and I dont think I am going to pay for this.

Last edited:
Sallah returns. 🥳
But where is Marion? 😮

The trailer doesn't look great, but who knows. James Mangold is a very good choice for passing on the Indiana Jones torch, I think. I'm more concerned at seeing who's written the script. From the sound of the music I thought this probably wasn't John Williams, but IMDB says otherwise. It didn't sound great.

From the sound of the music I thought this probably wasn't John Williams, but IMDB says otherwise. It didn't sound great.
I'm wondering if it's trailer music inspired by Williams? I believe this is the last time we will hear Williams in the cinema.

Aren’t you glad you use Dial? Sorry, that’s what I think of when I hear that title. 🤣

My first thought was that he's searching for a rotary phone this time. A rotary phone of destiny!

In all honesty, though, I'm not feeling it with this one so far. Maybe it's Crystal Skull fatigue, but I feel like the franchise was better off ending at The Last Crusade. I also don't like the look of the sets that we're seeing. They look so inauthentically old (They remind me of the set designs for Martin Scorsese's Hugo for some reason, but they look so inappropriate for an Indy film). And I agree that the trailer music was surprisingly bland. Are we sure John Williams was behind this?

Back
Top Bottom