• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

In Your Opinion... What Fanedit BLEW Your Mind?

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched a lot of Fanedits; most are just nips/tucks to improve a narrative, but every once in a while, a Fanedit COMPLETELY blows my mind...

I'm talking about taking something that was flawed to the point of unwatchability, and creating something so amazing, it rises far above what we officially received.

For example, Superman: Redeemed is a GREAT movie, created from the absolutely pathetic Superman III and IV, creating a narrative so solid, it can sit comfortably with Superman I and II.

What Fanedits do you think fit this description? Any you recommend because you feel they create something so totally different, everyone should know about them?

It takes a LOT to blow my mind and "Jaws: The Sharksploitation Edit" is probably the only fanedit that ever did it.

It also inspired a lot of my latest edits. Hope at least one of them blew someone's mind :)

Not on this site, but Star Wars The Dark Knight Rises by Jamin Schmitt on youtube still blows my mind. It combines Star Wars, Batman, Space Balls, and so much more. C3po is dubbed over with Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, The Emperor is voiced by Mark Hammil's Joker, Mace Windu spouts lines from Pulp Fiction. There's cameos from The Last Starfighter and Firefly. Han Solo refers to Lando as Harvey Dent. There's sentence mixing, lip matching, compositing. SO MUCH EFFORT. On paper the whole thing sounds like a shitpost, but in reality it's a 3+ hour epic that tells a coherent story. It should not work, but it does. I need more people to see this masterpiece.

I've been impressed by a few edits (Northwest Passage by @Q2, Blade Runner by @TM2YC, The Prequel Trilogy by @L8wrtr and @spence's Hobbit edit) all come to mind. However, the only edit that really "blew my mind" (which is actually extremely difficult to do) is Split Unbreakable Glass by @Wraith. Hands down. Gamechanger.

Superman Redeemed for me. No doubt. It completely changed the series for me. It was the 2nd edit I ever saw and it blew my mind. To be able to take two bad movies and combine them into something that clearly surpasses the originals is impressive. It feels like Christopher Reeve's run as Superman has a respectable trilogy now.

Love it, love it, love it.

I've been impressed by a few edits (Northwest Passage by @Q2, Blade Runner by @TM2YC, The Prequel Trilogy by @L8wrtr and @spence's Hobbit edit) all come to mind. However, the only edit that really "blew my mind" (which is actually extremely difficult to do) is Split Unbreakable Glass by @Wraith. Hands down. Gamechanger.
There are so many fantastic editors and edits, but I couldn't agree more with this. Mind blowing? Wraith's SUG is the one. Spectacular achievement.

There are so many fantastic editors and edits, but I couldn't agree more with this. Mind blowing? Wraith's SUG is the one. Spectacular achievement.
I don't really remember UNBREAKABLE much. I probably need to rewatch it to fully appreciate Wraith's edit correct? Or can I just jump right in and watch his version?

I don't really remember UNBREAKABLE much. I probably need to rewatch it to fully appreciate Wraith's edit correct? Or can I just jump right in and watch his version?
In terms of the new narrative he's constructed, no, you don't need to rewatch the theatrical versions to follow it. I do think it helps to have the films fresh in your mind to truly appreciate Wraith's achievement.

In terms of the new narrative he's constructed, no, you don't need to rewatch the theatrical versions to follow it. I do think it helps to have the films fresh in your mind to truly appreciate Wraith's achievement.
Ok thank you. I appreciate it.

Ok thank you. I appreciate it.
Watch them coldā€¦

Pulp Empire blew my mind.

I realised at that point that you could do almost anything, if you had the kit, imagination and timeā€¦

AND THAT is when you REALLY start to have learn stuff you need to do.

Pulp Empire opened that door for me.

There's been numerous fan editors over the years that have greatly impressed me with their particular 'creative choices' overall when it came to altering certain projects. 15MaF ended up producing a fabulous version of Alien 3 that truly satisfied me, and a handful of others such as The Man Behind The Mask made me realise that it was okay to simply discard or completely restructure LARGE portions of footage if necessary to get a version of something you preferred for yourself - and in that same spirit, I've learned to 'curate' my own 'personal canon' where movie and tv show 'franchises' are concerned, happily scrapping certain instalments and entire episodes completely when it comes to any re-watch of my favourites.

But the fan edit that truly *blew my mind* was Adywan's STAR WARS REVISITED during my initial watch through of it. And then I was completely *blown away again* with his EMPIRE STRIKES BACK REVISITED HD follow-up too. And I look forward to being equally amazed at his in-progress STAR WARS REVISITED HD and RETURN OF THE JEDI HD endeavours too eventually. The results of a combination of thoughtful choices, a keen eye, wonderful artistry and skillful technical ability that continues to impress me.

And patience and determination. Lots and lots of patience and determination!

Last edited:
Can't help wondering if people who praise some great transformative (and/or grindhouse) edits here, tried "Three Effin' Bears" (Rambo Grindhoused) :>

(yeah, shameless self-promotion, but since it's something I am not expecting to top.... :p)

Last edited:
There are several mentioned here already that I'd agree with, but I think I'd also add-

@TM2YC 's Bladerunner 2049 (Aerodynamik). It's exactly the same movie, yet through artful, thoughtful trims, it's like 14 minutes shorter. It blew my mind that you could cut from a movie and make it move faster without substantially changing the tone or losing a single moment.

and

@tremault 's Captain Marvel: Where is the Love? edit. It appears to be fairly standard fanedit stuff at first: add some deleted scenes, trim/remove some existing bits, change the soundtrack a bit... But again, through thoughtful, artful, often subtle changes, it blew my mind that it could take a character and journey I wasn't invested in and was actually somewhat annoyed by and completely turn me around on her.

Can't help wondering if people who praise some great transformative (and/or grindhouse) edits here, tried "Three Effin' Bears" (Rambo Grindhoused) :>

(yeah, shameless self-promotion, but since it's something I am not expecting to top.... :p)
That's definitely an interesting edit. Shameless self promotion, indeed. šŸ˜

I didnt realise this was one or those threads! I highly recommend @DonkeyKonga edits! Like its unreal but I've never disagreed with a single cut he made. Incredibly handsome guy too (or so I've been told)

Most transformative edit I've seen was battle of the five edits. The change of format to tv series format allowed me to finally show the films to my wife. She said: I dont understand why everyone dislikes the hobbit? Ignorance truly is bliss.

I didnt realise this was one or those threads! I highly recommend @DonkeyKonga edits! Like its unreal but I've never disagreed with a single cut he made. Incredibly handsome guy too (or so I've been told)

Most transformative edit I've seen was battle of the five edits. The change of format to tv series format allowed me to finally show the films to my wife. She said: I dont understand why everyone dislikes the hobbit? Ignorance truly is bliss.

Gee thanks so much for the kind words! My wife happens to also really enjoy this hobbit edit. About my looks, the truth is that I am unreasonably handsome

Thank you for your kind words!

I would second both of TMBTM's War of the Stars edits, as well as Pulp Empire. Rogue-theX (I miss you!)'s fine work on Sgt. John is worthy of mention, and Leeroy's (miss you too!) Electronic Killer, but I'm unsure if that one was ever properly finished.

There's some others I've enjoyed very much like Frink's Ridiculous series, but I would not call them mind-blowing. Very funny, of course.

^ Totally transforms the tone of the film with just great editing.

^ A wild, wild ride.

^ Epic! Makes the best movie ever made (barely joking) even better.

^ Some of the finest FX I've seen in an edit. You'd never know this was ever two movies spliced together.

Back
Top Bottom