• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

In thy image Phase II

I recommend people get this. It takes a terrible movie and makes it watchable. Great, great work :) .

But, Im going to create a re-edit, if i can upload it... It will include a title sequence like the tv show, and will be in fullscreen, and will include different colors, Im going to find out which colors they were broadcasting in the 70s and render it.

Um ok.
I think a lot of us would just be happy to see a higher quality a/v experience if this were reconstructed.

Btw, you'll find the fonts used on the disc.

Is this Star Trek or something? What's with the name of the thread?

yep, it is Star Trek. IN THY IMAGE was the idea for a renewal of TOS which was never done. the first Star Trek movie was supposed to be the pilot, but was then changed to be cinematized.

It's a brilliant edit of Star Trek V - rejiggered to resemble a TV episode.
It even has music and sound effects from the original series, mixed in.

"In Thy Image" was to be the title of a 2-parter pilot episode. The script was adapted into the first movie. The editor stole the title for his edit of ST V - it fits, but now it would be confusing to name a TMP edit that. (Some of the other scripts were adapted into TNG episodes).

Before the first Trek movie, Paramount wanted to launch its own network. The flagship series was going to be "Star Trek: Phase II". But the advertisers lowballed Paramount - the network wouldn't be able to pay for itself.

Rather than admit their humiliation (bad for buisness), Paramount publicly continued the work on the series, as they covertly negotiated everything for TMP. Sets and miniatures were built (many were adapted to the movie), scripts were written, and a model of the new ship was built & discarded. There was only test footage shot, and and the TMP dvd has the briefest glipses of that undoubtedly extensive footage. There's a book about Phase II, with summaries of the scripts.

Years earlier, Nimoy had a falling out with Roddenberry, a spinoff of his salary/star-status competition with Shatner. So Nimoy didn't want to work in Phase II. When they offered him a part-time role, as a compromise, he took it as an insult to his character's importance. When Robert Weiss became director of the movie, Nimoy couldn't resist Weiss's request (and the big salary offer). Nimoy's opinions mellowed after the movie experience.

By the way, Robert Weiss recounted that the oft-cited expense of TMP is bogus - because the cost of Phase II's development was counted into the movie budget. But the Phase II book reveals that the cost of the Original Series was also folded in. (This is after TOS had turned amazing profits, in syndication. And, of course, NBC had paid most of the expense of TOS, to begin with. Not clear if the studio was charging for what they paid, or for what NBC paid for as well).

Regrettably, the costumes for Phase II, duplicates of TOS's, were replaced by gay costumes, at Weiss's decision. TMP was the only time that the pants weren't black, if I'm not mistaken.

The costumes from TOS to TMP were a lateral move, IMO. Both pretty bad. The costumes introduced in WOK were probably the best ever, with the latter-day DS9 ones coming in close second. At least, IMO.

But I am starting to go pretty off topic here.

Just finished it and it's brilliant. I wish whomever did this would consider recreating the four TNG films and mold them into the first four episodes of season 8.

I wish the editor would just take on all odd numbered Trek films.

2 edits? What else did he do besides In Thy Image?

I never thought much of the New Voyages, but I'd love to see another edit from him.

His first fan edit was perhaps the 2nd fan-edit ever distributed.

I have it, Rikter has it. I'm supposed to map chapter stops, so Rikter can think about authoring it. I think we both forgot...

What would possibly inspire such profound apathy? "Star Wars: The Phantom Remix".

It's actually very nicely done. (Even a nifty alternate ending).

But how many times can you watch Phantom Menace edits that don't use compositing, and re-subbing, and redubbing? They start off with lots of changes, and then they mostly run out of things to cut by the drag-ass second half.

And, of course he also did the fan-restoration of the Studio-preview version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before". (I can better his WNMHGB, thanks to a bootleg that's totally-screwed in different spots, so it might become my first finished just-me project. After the Borg Edit is done).

Phantom Remix really should get distributed. IIRC, the video quality was better(?) than "In Thy Image". But, unfortunately, as with WNMHGB, I was too late to get the DVD version and only got his "DVD Ready Mpeg". So it needs to be authored.

I PMd the guy about getting his blessing to re-distribute his stuff, and to see if he could at least give us a snapshot of the PR menu. But he ignored the noob. He seemed to be distancing himself from his edits, by that time, and more and more, towards his leaving New Voyages.

New Voyages. Well, of course, New Voyages has involving story-telling, perfect sets & costumes, fantastic guest stars, some pushing-it story elements. And well, the effects and main character acting, are... what was that? I think heard the phone. ;)

Looks like Jack Marshall just joined the our memberlist. Maybe it is him.

Hi everyone!

Jack Marshall here. I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words regarding the re-edit of Trek V. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, except where to get it - that's not my department ;)

At the present time, I'm working on the Sci-Fi channel re-imagined "Battlestar Galactica" as the Visual Effects Coordinator. I'm also working on another Sci-Fi show called "Area 52" (a sitcom from the director of "Galaxy Quest") and the re-imagined "Bionic Woman" for NBC.

Prior to all this I co-created and directed the first three episodes of Star Trek New Voyages and of course, the three fan-edits, Trek V, Phantom Re-mix and the restoration of Where No Man Has Gone Before.

So, that's about it. I was pleased to see the Trek V edit was added on the site (thanks to whomever did that) and thanks again for all the support.

All my best,

Jack Marshall

Does anyone else suddenly feel intimidated?

Visual Effects Coordinator of BSG? I am so unworthy.

hello Jack Marshall and welcome to the FE boards. It's truly an honour.
Visual effects coordiantor... pretty cool.

So... any plans for a hq version of IN THY IMAGE?

No, they are not, your download did not work correctly. Please follow the guide to get rid of the errors.

yeah, maybee, when u d othat, u can actually make it possible to get it, how bout that?

New Voyages? Never heard of it until now. DLing In Harm's Way. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom