• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How to get into Star Trek?

TOS, Movies 1-4, New movie, TNG.

I think you almost had to grow up with TOS (either in reruns or original airing) to get past the slightly campy nature of it. If it doesn't bother you, keep going and then move into movies 1-4, otherwise skip right to movies 1-4. If the first movie doesn't quite grab you, definitely keep going at least to the second movie.

Would say to start as the rest of us did. The Original TV series from the 60's has an intro of sorts, and while it is old that is the birth of how most of us all got into the series. Once you've seen the originals watch the First movie. From there it's up to you. If you watch the second movie (the best imo, then you have to see the third for obvious reasons). After that Fall back to watch the Enterprise Series (the last series produced) as it is the prequel series about the birth of the Star Trek Universe (plus this will get you into the whole time travel thing that starts so show up more often as the different series go along). By then you should be ready for explore the other series out there.

DS9 is a great series but you should know more about the whole star trek world before seeing this series.

JJ Abram's movie is a stand alone at this point, wait to see if till you gotten further into the original timeline (or if you just want to throw a monkey wrench into the mix). At this point this movie is a one off (sure another will come along).

For a matter of interest you should come back to tell us how you have come along. Be interesting to hear a new person's thought to the whole star trek world having whole series' to be able to watch at one time (all day marathons would still take month of weekends to get thru them)

ThrowgnCpr said:
lets keep this discussion in a separate thread. (I believe a ST 2009 fanedit ideas thread exists...)

My bad. I will look for that thread.

At this juncture I think we have sufficiently scared G1ork away so that he will never watch Star Trek, considering he has yet to respond to all of this! :-o

Nah, you didn't scare me or whatever, it is just that i was going through my exam period here at the uni and i didn't really have that much time to surf the web or whatever! thanks for everyone's suggestions! i think i will see first the 2009 movie, or the first 2 star trek movies (although i hear that the first one is a boredom-fest), and if i am hooked enough i will dive into some of the tv series

g1orkatsos said:
(although i hear that the first one is a boredom-fest), and if i am hooked enough i will dive into some of the tv series

As I've said, it really depends on what style of film you like. I happen to really enjoy the pacing of TMP. Slow yes, boring no. If you like MOAR ASPLOSIONS, then maybe it's not for you.

ThrowgnCpr said:
As I've said, it really depends on what style of film you like. I happen to really enjoy the pacing of TMP. Slow yes, boring no. If you like MOAR ASPLOSIONS, then maybe it's not for you.

do you guys mean something similar to 2001 a space odyssey in terms of pacing? because i kinda liked that movie. but that depends on how interesting the overall plot is. 2001 got me hooked. it has to be an interesting plot, and not being slow for no reason. it has to add to the style of movie

its not that abstract, but i dont feel it is slow for no reason. I think it suits the film well. But I've seen lots of arguments from haters too :)

Imo the first star trek movie would be the perfect movie to demand a remake: fantastic concept but not the best execution so why not try a second time?

Sunarep said:
Imo the first star trek movie would be the perfect movie to demand a remake: fantastic concept but not the best execution so why not try a second time?

:-(

trek1 is an interesting film to me, i both love and hate it. Its beautiful to look at but is dated (not that i care much about dated fx, id rather the old models than cg anyways), good and bad acting (imo), good story that sounds better on paper (to me) and a great score with some damn annoying parts like the synthesizers and such (according to my brain (why synthesizers? dammit!)). I can watch the rest of the movies and really enjoy them, same with this one, but the synthesizers always make me want to throw my coffee table at the stereo. To me, trek 1 is like trek nemesis, too much like the show, not enough like the other movies.

Maybe you should start with the Best Star Trek movie ever -- GALAXY QUEST!!!!:pop2:

bionicbob said:
Maybe you should start with the Best Star Trek movie ever -- GALAXY QUEST!!!!:pop2:

Listen to him!

bionicbob said:

You should make an edit out of it ;)

bionicbob said:

Finally we all can agree!

So, g1, did you ever watch any Trek after all these suggestions? I'd like to know what you thought, good or bad.

Incidentally, I'm surprised to read that so many people in this thread think that TMP was great and that the 2009 reboot was awful. That is the exact opposite of what I've heard from pretty much everyone else on the planet, including other hardcore Trekkers.

I don't actually have an opinion on TMP myself, because I haven't seen it. As to everyone who said that the script from the '09 movie was awful - You must be thinking of The Phantom Menace. :p (In fact, on more than one occasion, I've wished that JJ Abrams and the screenwriters of '09 Trek had done the recent Star Wars movies rather than George Lucas.)

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that you all are not entitled to your opinion(s). I'm just surprised that there are so many of you who think the exact same way about both movies, when I haven't heard anyone else ever make such comments.

It's like, in Muppet fandom, no one would ever, ever tell anyone to start with Season 1 of The Muppet Show. It's by far the weakest. So to read a whole bunch of people saying that very thing would be rather surprising.

But, hey, that's the fascinating thing about discussion forums, right? :)

It never occurred to me that anyone would need an introduction to Trek, since I figured they'd find it on Saturday afternoons on TV the way I did.

If I were to pick a place to start someone, I would probably recommend the "Fan Collective" DVDs. Not only are they some of the best episodes of Trek, but they also give you a sampling of how each show handled certain types of stories, so you can figure out which one you want to explore more.

Here are the DVDs I'm talking about:

Captain's Log: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Fan_Collective_-_Captain's_Log
Klingons: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Fan-Collective-Klingon/dp/B000FEBWTY/ref=pd_cp_mov_3
Time Travel: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Fan-Collective-Travel/dp/B000CSUNLQ/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_c
The Borg: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Fan...qid=1342390372&sr=1-1&keywords=star+trek+borg
Alternate Realities: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Alternate-William-Shatner/dp/B001AII4RC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_b
Q: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Fan-Collective-Q/dp/B000ERVJJ0/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_b

Even though I pulled most of the links from Amazon because it was easier to do that way, I'm not suggesting that someone just starting out in Trek buy all these things - just rent them. The links are just so people know what they look like.

OK, I've blathered on long enough, I guess. :)

q1, be sure to let us know what you think!

q1? Think you mixed up two people.

I think both TMP and Trek2009 are flawed but still great movies!

Star Trek The Motion Picture is actually amazing that it is as good as it turned out considered how convoluted its genesis was... first a tv reunion movie, then a series pilot, then a motion picture, then a tv show again.... right up to the moment of production no one knew what they type of story they were making, and the script suffers for it.

Added you have an Academy Awarding winning director who had no before hand knowledge of Star Trek and made no attempts to connect with the previously established material, including dictating a loss of the classic primary colour scheme and "real life lighting" cinematography, created a very "dull and lifeless" visual experience in many respects. This was made worst by an inexperienced studio creating the fX work, and an iron clad movie release date, resulting in a movie that was essentially "unfinished" when it opened in theatres.

That said, as many others have pointed out, TMP is the only entry in the Trek franchise that has a FILM feel to it. It takes it time telling its story (as incomplete as it is) and really explores true science fiction themes. In many ways, it is more in tone and style of Kubrick's 2001 than Roddenberry's Star Trek. For me, it is a movie that I watch more for nostalgia and "what could have been" than for riveting storytelling.

The Star Trek 2009 reboot I absolutely love. It was my favorite movie from that summer. It is a great roller coaster ride loaded with tons of classic Trek homages while still recreating the franchise for a new generation. It is a fun popcorn movie. But yes, it is filled with plot holes/flaws that some people find distracting or outright hate. But hey, my beloved TOS was loaded with crazy logic, science and plots, and it is still considered classic television.

So I think it is easy to enjoy both films. They each other something different for different people.

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.;-)

But I too am understandably curious as to how G1's introduction to Trek is going?

Back
Top Bottom