• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How to get into Star Trek?

Uncanny Antman said:
Personally, I think JJ's Trek is the absolute worst place to start.

bondukkevin said:
I think JJ's Trek is possibly the best way to start

Lol, this thread is getting interesting.

Incidentally, I agree with Uncanny Antman. It is a horrible script and doesn't really represent the feel of anything else Star Trek related that came before it. The only thing that makes that movie work is good effects and JJ Abrams directing. It is a testament to how good of a director he can be.

Uncanny Antman has it right. I really do think TOS is essential, if you are serious about getting into the trek universe. His suggestions of jumping forward seem reasonable. Season 3 TNG really is a point where it gets better.

I have watched everything except DS9 (for some reason), even though I liked it less and less.
Voyager had some fun moments, but was a let down in the end.
Lots of Enterprise episodes were really good, but there are other parts that are down right annoying. And it has the worst intro music of alla seasons :p

I would NOT watch the Star Trek movie from 2009. I don't feel like it is a real intro into the world of Trek...

If you were going to delve into some the tv series, there seems to a be general Trek TV rule (TOS withstanding of course)
that it does not get good till SEASON THREE!

NEXT GENERATION -- With the exception of the 2 part pilot, seasons one and two I find almost unwatchable. Alot of horrible episodes when one looks back now.
But by Season 3, they had a solid stable of writers and a clear direction for the show and its characters. Until Season 7 that is, when most of the best writers had moved over to DS9, and then the show began another downward spiral. Though the final 2 part episode "ALL GOOD THINGS" is absolutely brilliant.

DEEP SPACE NINE -- A more solid start than NexGen, but it took almost 3 seasons before the writers had a clear handle on the direction they wanted for Sisko. And I disagree with those who claim DS9 is a rip off of Babylon 5 (another show I LOVE!!!), yes they are both set on space stations and deal with epic battles, but that is like saying all cops shows are rip off other cop shows. In my book, DS9 is still the best crafted, acted and written of all the Trek series.

VOYAGER -- I don't like it. But even I will admit, the show improved with the addition of Seven of Nine in season 4. But soon, even that wore out its welcome.
As I said before, after watching Trek for 25 plus years, Voyager just felt tired and unoriginal in its storytelling. However, if Voyager was your FIRST Trek experience, I can see one enjoying it a lot more.

ENTERPRISE -- Love and Hate all at the same time. I give the producers kudos for attempting a prequel and experimenting with different storytelling styles. But again, the show just did not seem to gel until season 3. Season Four, is wonderful as new producers took over and almost every episode is a true "prequel" to other Trek episodes, significant universe building was done in this last season.

To Boldly Go.... :)

I once for myself compiled the key episodes for Next Generation from each season that are either good or critical to a later story. I could post this list, but I am not willing to spend the time to do so unless someone is really going to use it. Typically each season is cut in length by about half (with a few exceptional seasons that run longer).

geminigod said:
I once for myself compiled the key episodes for Next Generation from each season that are either good or critical to a later story. I could post this list, but I am not willing to spend the time to do so unless someone is really going to use it. Typically each season is cut in length by about half (with a few exceptional seasons that run longer).

that would be a gold mine, for some reason TNG was always inacessible to me and I would love to have a list of the really good episodes to get me going

I know it's probably blasphemy but Voyager is my preferred Trek series

I love voyager, but there was one part of the show that always bugged me, they had 7 seasons or so, and in at least half of all those episodes you will hear 7 of 9 and the doctor say something like this:
7 of 9: "since i joined voyager i have found it difficult to adapt to this new environment, it is often a challenge to blend in, blah blah blah"
the doctor: "although im an emergency medical hologram, i try to grow, to become more than my original programming, thats why im probably the greatest thing that ever graced voyagers presence, but no one recognises my greatness, blah blah blah"

Why did they have to say the same lines for 7 years?!?!?!

Rogue-theX said:
Why did they have to say the same lines for 7 years?!?!?!

153471_main.jpg

;)

geminigod said:
I left the theater feeling good, but now I can't even bear to watch that movie anymore, and I am not sure a fanedit could save it.

Can I ask what happened to spoil it for you?

I personally am a fan of Wrath of Khan, the original 1966 series and the 2009 reboot. But I must admit I never really watched any of the other series. Saw all of the other original cast movies, but they were Mehh to me.

I still think people are wayyy to hard on the reboot.
The movie you can compare it the most would probably be star trek IV - highly illogical and full of convenience but just a fun trip. star trek doesn't need to be hardcore sci fi all the time

on the voyager subject I was just so wowed by some storylines that were fantastic sci fi plots especially:

Blink of an Eye

and

Course Oblivion

The latter is just firstly a very surprising storyidea which continues a story from an earlier season. It asks about identity and the personal destiny and has a heartwrenching end - the themes of forgetting things and trying to be remember just resonated a lot with me

Sunarep said:
that would be a gold mine, for some reason TNG was always inacessible to me and I would love to have a list of the really good episodes to get me going

Promise you will use the list. :)

I would appreciate this list as well. The first episode I remember watching (which was a year and a half ago), was Darmok and I thought it was brilliant. As for other seasons, I've heard that Deep Space Nine, in later seasons, was the best series of the franchise even if it did betray Gene Roddenberry's vision (cough*inthepalemonlihgt*cough). I've heard that Voyager had some good episodes but wasn't all that great and Enterprise didn't get good until it's last season, but it's all still stuff I need to watch. As for JJ Trek, I think the best way to give it a Star Trek feel would be if a Tales of the Black Freighter like animatic telling Nero's backstory from Star Trek Countdown were intergrated in, but that would take a LONG time to animate so no luck there.

Sunarep said:
I still think people are wayyy to hard on the reboot.
You may like the film, but what has been said about it that is untrue? For the record, I actually do like the film...or more correctly, I can watch it and enjoy it but it's very hard for me to call it a good film due to some very lazy writing. (A staple of Kurtzman/Orci.)

The movie you can compare it the most would probably be star trek IV - highly illogical and full of convenience but just a fun trip.
Like 60% of TOS then. :)

star trek doesn't need to be hardcore sci fi all the time
I would say Trek has only been hard sci-fi less than 2% of the entire run. The TNG/VOY tendency towards techno-babble was no different to one of the characters saying, "I know, we'll use pixie dust!"

I like talking Trek. :)

Uncanny Antman said:
I would say Trek has only been hard sci-fi less than 2% of the entire run. The TNG/VOY tendency towards techno-babble was no different to one of the characters saying, "I know, we'll use pixie dust!"

This is undoubtedly true, though I think a little less in TNG. There were actually people on staff whose sole job was to maintain consistency within the Star Trek universe.

Uncanny Antman said:
You may like the film, but what has been said about it that is untrue? For the record, I actually do like the film...or more correctly, I can watch it and enjoy it but it's very hard for me to call it a good film due to some very lazy writing. (A staple of Kurtzman/Orci.)

I agree that the conveniences are very big (and there will never be a justification for kirk meeting spock other than unobtanium) but I wouldn't call it lazy. I really enjoyed the writing and the character interactions. I love how the script has the constant urge, the constant dread - it feels like the old adventure/indiana jones movies especially when it comes to action sequences.
Writing wise I also like how they managed to balance the crew of the enterprise together and how much character they managed to give bystanders even if they had little time.

The thing that really motivates me for the sequel is that I love the new one but there are still problems - i can't imagine how much fun the sequel will if they iron out the flaws of part I

Uncanny Antman said:

I like talking Trek. :)

Yeah, I am just annoyed with the continuity nerds on the internet complaining that they would prefer the messed up ridiculous continuity post-voyager. Star Trek was never about continuity for me - it was a vehicle for interpreting the future and not about keeping in continuity with previous episodes. So I am just relieved that star trek has lost so much baggage and can go into new directions again

What about a fanedit of the 2009 film that removes any mention of the idea that they have rebooted the future and any notion that kirk is taking over as captain after the one successful mission?

Sunarep said:
I agree that the conveniences are very big (and there will never be a justification for kirk meeting spock other than unobtanium) but I wouldn't call it lazy. I really enjoyed the writing and the character interactions.
I agree, actually. I should have said lazy plotting...because there's a lot of it. Things happen mostly just because the script says so, so you end up with a lot of odd decisions made by the characters.

I love how the script has the constant urge, the constant dread
How many years did Nero just sit around his ship doing jack-all? ;)

Fanedit said:
What about a fanedit of the 2009 film that removes any mention of the idea that they have rebooted the future and any notion that kirk is taking over as captain after the one successful mission?
I'm not sure you'd have much left, and what you did have would make very little sense.

Fanedit said:

lets keep this discussion in a separate thread. (I believe a ST 2009 fanedit ideas thread exists...)

datas-reaction.jpg

Back
Top Bottom