• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How many other people got into fan edits because...

I got into fan edits just recently because I saw a Youtube video of someone who edited The Hobbit Trilogy into 1 movie. I watched his version and though I liked his version, I didn't like it 100%. I tried a different fan edit of the Hobbit, but with similar results. So I decided to try it myself. Though I struggled, I enjoyed what I made. I enjoyed it so much I made another Hobbit fan edit. Now, I've finished a Star Wars Holiday Special edit and just started a Transformers 2 edit.
I know my skills are basic, but I'm enjoying myself and I'm proud of the work I've done. I look forward to challenging myself and learning from all of you.

I got here through The Shadow. I was annoyed at the awful dvd release (poor picture quality and pan&scan), and searched online to see if another country had a better release I could order to replace mine. Instead I found @bionicbob 's B&W edit of the Shadow on FE and thought "well, this seems interesting".

After that, what helped me stay here was the constructive input I got once I started a thread for my own first edit (particular thanks to @TM2YC and subsequently @The Scribbling Man ).

I got into fan edits just recently because I saw a Youtube video of someone who edited The Hobbit Trilogy into 1 movie. I watched his version and though I liked his version, I didn't like it 100%. I tried a different fan edit of the Hobbit, but with similar results. So I decided to try it myself. Though I struggled, I enjoyed what I made. I enjoyed it so much I made another Hobbit fan edit. Now, I've finished a Star Wars Holiday Special edit and just started a Transformers 2 edit.
I know my skills are basic, but I'm enjoying myself and I'm proud of the work I've done. I look forward to challenging myself and learning from all of you.
I think I like your response the best so far, Jbuck. That is fantastic. I kinda wanna see your Hobbit fan edit now, tbh. I also saw a "Hobbit in 1" fan edit, and was surprised by how many were out there. Truly this is a thing, these fan-edit shenanigans. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the challenge. Good on you, and keep it up. :)

I got here through The Shadow. I was annoyed at the awful dvd release (poor picture quality and pan&scan), and searched online to see if another country had a better release I could order to replace mine. Instead I found @bionicbob 's B&W edit of the Shadow on FE and thought "well, this seems interesting".

After that, what helped me stay here was the constructive input I got once I started a thread for my own first edit (particular thanks to @TM2YC and subsequently @The Scribbling Man ).
I agree. Even for people not on this forum, but from those around me (friends and work colleagues), everyone was very interested- to the point where they demanded I hold a screening instead of sending them a link. Truly it sparks a popular interest in people. This surprised me.

...you couldn't stand the fact that Sliders could never keep the same theme song for more than one season, so you tried in vain to cobble together a cohesive opening for the first 3 seasons using VHS tapes?

Just me on that one, huh? OK. *shrug*

My problem with Sliders wasn't the theme song, it was the totally unnecessary (and generally awful) Season 5.

I came for the X-Men movie continuity fan fixes back when there were only like four of those movies. I stayed for the really creative fan mixes.

they wanted to find a Halloween edit by @LastSurvivor but couldn’t get ahold of him so they made their own similar but totally different version.
woah! Well, I'm sorry for not being around... it was probably in my wilderness years when I was renovating my house! But on the flip side, at least it meant you made your own version :)

My problem with Sliders wasn't the theme song, it was the totally unnecessary (and generally awful) Season 5.
Sure, the problems ran much deeper with that show. But the constantly changing theme was a reflection of the lack of focus and creative direction behind the scenes.

Also, I mostly just didn't watch Season 5, and of the bad episodes that I did watch from earlier seasons, there didn't seem to be any way to salvage them (not that I really thought much in that way at that time). The theme song seemed like a finite, fixable thing...until I discovered the horrors of VCR "rollback" (when pausing and unpausing, the VCR rolls back a few seconds, causing too much footage to get included. If I tried too hard to get it right up to the edge of the clip, I might accidentally cut it off instead).

I tried again a year or two ago, this time limiting myself to just the first two seasons before Wade's hair color changed. Season 4 audio, because I liked the heroic fanfare in the middle of that one the best. Clips up through "Invasion" and "As Time Goes By," which didn't feature in the original Season 2 theme, likely because those episodes were still being filmed when the season premiered. It felt very competent in the end, but somehow it just wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. "Hey, here's the regular Season 2 opening with a few differences here and there." I just wasn't as excited as I thought I would be after all that wait. The file is lost now, so I'd have to start again from scratch, but...ya know.

Anyway, it's not something I'm losing any sleep over. :D

Attack of the Clones kept me out of the movie theater for years.....like a decade because I was so let down by it. I didn't even go to see Return of the King. At that point I became really critical about movies. I had saved up money to buy an off the shel audio editing program so I could mess around with the music I loved and didn't love to make it just right and then started to think the same way about movies. I eventually found audacity and wondered why I ever shelled out money for the program I bought that was inferior. My first real movie venture was to record the VHS audio of the hobbit cartoon and then to merge it with the video from the dvd (highest quality option at the time). This involved running rca cables from my vhs to the input on my computer and then recording it in audacity. 😅 Needless to say, the family thought I was quite odd and obsessive. It never quite came together as the recording wasn't the greatest due to my set up. I then moved to LOTR to adjust the green of FOTR, blue of TTT, red of TROTK and to make a fair amount of adjustments toTROTK, mostly surrounding the dead army and Aaragorn getting the sword. Slow mo reveals are just not my thing, and I think I had somehow pulled off a way that he took it from the beginning in FOTR instead of in TROTK......I can't really remember now. Anyway. I used to watch my sibling play D&D and they'd never let me so I made my own D&D type game using my action figures. Looking back, I think I was on to that before Warhammer made miniatures cool. Anyway, I've been editing stuff in my brain forever it seems and when I was finally able to get a competant computer and tools to mess with stuff I've been in the mix ever since. My first full true edits were cleaned up versions of the Matrix trilogy that I edited on Windows Movie Maker 😅

Looking back, I think I was on to that before Warhammer made miniatures cool.

Ha! You're dating yourself, my friend! I had a 16 strong Ogre army in Warhammer back in '88. I trampled plenty elves with that one unit.

Ha! You're dating yourself, my friend! I had a 16 strong Ogre army in Warhammer back in '88. I trampled plenty elves with that one unit.
WFB FTW! Yes, I'm dating myself now, too. ...and I still have my undead, human, and dwarf armies AND the books & terrain floating around.

Because I wanted the pilot episode of Thunderbirds to be faster.
Brilliant. I can see why too. Did it work?

I thought the same type of tightened editing could be a god send for the movie The Dark Crystal too. It's pacing is veeeeery slow.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly but it could have something to do with Alien Virtual Workprint, probably first fanedit I've ever watched. At first I was only interested in the idea of incorporating deleted scenes to my favourite movies, so Adigitalman's Titanic, Blade Runner and Terminator were next. First fanedit I've created (and never released) was extended version of Dumb & Dumber t hen those two present on IFDB and few more (the last being re-creation of Titanic White Star in HD and now JL).

I've also wrote an essay about fanedits on my post graduation studies, there was something about Adywan's Star Wars Revisited, Sharksploitation edit and many others :)

Last edited:
I discovered fanediting in a rather different way to most. I needed a hobby that would keep me distracted during the pandemic. My criteria for selecting the hobby were:
  • Could be completed indoors
  • Have a range of discrete skills to develop
  • Required abilities that I have no prior experience/confidence in
In the UK lockdown begin in March 2020 and I began exploring fanediting in May 2020. Prior to that I'd never heard of NLE's, h.264 video coding, AC3 files, interlacing, compression, demuxing, remuxing or colour correction. It's been a really fun journey and the fanediting community has been instrumental in maintaining my sanity throughout the pandemic.

I am new here. My answer is the obvious answer. I got into fanedits because of the Phantom Edit. lol. But I never thought of making a fanedit until I saw the Assassin's Creed film from 2016.

I discovered fanediting in a rather different way to most. I needed a hobby that would keep me distracted during the pandemic. My criteria for selecting the hobby were:
  • Could be completed indoors
  • Have a range of discrete skills to develop
  • Required abilities that I have no prior experience/confidence in
In the UK lockdown begin in March 2020 and I began exploring fanediting in May 2020. Prior to that I'd never heard of NLE's, h.264 video coding, AC3 files, interlacing, compression, demuxing, remuxing or colour correction. It's been a really fun journey and the fanediting community has been instrumental in maintaining my sanity throughout the pandemic.
I am new here, How can I watch your Spiderman edit? Edit: I am reading the thread on it now actually.

Back
Top Bottom