• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How do y'all do that (1,2,3)?

Yikes. You have bigger concerns than video editing software. Upgrade your operating system first. I heard Microsoft will very soon not support xp at all. This leaves you both vulnerable and operating very inefficiently. XP is not equipped to even utilize newish hardware properly, and Windows 7 is vastly superior functionally as well. The arguments about XP being better than Vista were two operating systems ago and are almost a decade old now.

Yes, I know, between all of us in the house we have 14 computers, laptops, iPads, etc., etc. and have XP, Vista, 7 and the newest one is 8 but I am lazy and have been using XP for over 10 years and prefer it. When MS drops support then I'll upgrade and only then.

Now, back to my topic...

I have purchased a new DVD burner, Sony Vegas Platinum Suite, and an Epson 837. So, I think I have all my answers from y'all for now on how to get going on this video editing and production thing. Thanks so far but I'm sure I'll be back for more help.

One problem with using XP is that you're constrained to a hair under 4GB of usable RAM, unless you use non-supported kernel extensions, due to the way that MS address memory in 32 bit windows. Which, in memory-hungry video-editing software, might be a problem.

There are only three movies that I plan to edit, so it won't be used often.

What is "non-supported kernel extensions"?

moviegeek71 said:
There are only three movies that I plan to edit, so it won't be used often.

What is "non-supported kernel extensions"?

There are ways of getting 32-bit versions of Windows to recognize more than 4GB of RAm, p based on the mechanisms that MS used in the server versions of Windows. These are third party hacks though, and are unsupported by Microsoft (so if you break your windows install by using them, MS wont help you fix it).

On a related note, I may move to Vegas soonish - the disc authoring and sound editing in Premiere Elements is pretty poor, and Amazon have boxed copies of Vegas Platinum Suite 12 for less than £40...

Edited to add: just reading through this review, and am becoming more and more sold on at least trying it out:

"The suite also comes with SoundForge, a powerful and very useful audio editing program that works very well with Movie Studio 12. (...) You can also take advantage of the iZotope plug-in to remove vocals from songs which gives you a little more flexibility on your video’s soundtrack."

That alone would be worth me switching editors - I've found Premiere Elements 11 a reasonable-to-pretty-good video editor (not that I have a great deal of knowledge in these matters), but the audio editing is rubbish - even in the couple of project modes that can handle 5.1 audio it doesn't let you do anything much in terms of editing. If Platinum Suite 12 lets me do useful sounding within the context of the project itself, it would make a couple of edits I'm planning much easier.

Back
Top Bottom