• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Help me choose a movie franchise

Which movie franchise should I watch next?

• X-men

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Alien/Predator

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Underworld

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Planet of the Apes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Bourne

• Die Hard

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Fast and Furious

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Batman

• Resident Evil

• Universal Monsters

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Adabisi said:
Regarding Bourne, I hate to break it to you but...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094791/

That's only two more episodes.
AND ... it stars Richard Chamberlain as Bourne.

Spy Kids franchise.
Saw.
All those astounding Wrong Turn flicks.
Too bad Sex And The City only did two.
Wait a minute! Reading up on that, Sarah Jessica Parker wants to do another sequel!
You could wait and watch all three. And binge all 147 seasons!
How well I know.

I'm sticking with Bourne.

Or Godfather.

Vultural said:
Or Godfather.

Now that's a good suggestion. Only two movies in the franchise. Yup, just two. Definitely not three.

Adabisi said:
Mainly because Burton's film takes place in 5021 AD and the original takes place in 3978 AD.

Well, if we're going to try to shoehorn the two unrelated entries into one timeline, I don't think we can be constrained by anything so silly as "dates." Moreover, the 5021 was for Asher, the planet that POTA 2001 takes place on. And time movies backwards on either end of the warp hole, so dates on Asher are irrelevant to dates on Earth. That being said, if the date were relevant, I can see a point being made for the beginning and ending taking place before Beneath, but the bulk of the movie, all that takes place on Asher, happening after the Earth is destroyed. I dunno.

But seriously, the movies don't even take place in the same universe. This is one of the most pointless nerd debates I've ever had. It's marvelous.

So, that's sorted, then. I'm going with the 'Scary Movie' franchise. Right..? :oops:

Kiaru said:
Well, if we're going to try to shoehorn the two unrelated entries into one timeline, I don't think we can be constrained by anything so silly as "dates." Moreover, the 5021 was for Asher, the planet that POTA 2001 takes place on. And time movies backwards on either end of the warp hole, so dates on Asher are irrelevant to dates on Earth. That being said, if the date were relevant, I can see a point being made for the beginning and ending taking place before Beneath, but the bulk of the movie, all that takes place on Asher, happening after the Earth is destroyed. I dunno.

But seriously, the movies don't even take place in the same universe. This is one of the most pointless nerd debates I've ever had. It's marvelous.

Yes, but 5021 is obviously a reference to Earth years so the audience has some frame of reference as to how far in the future Leo has travelled. If it was in reference to Asher years, that wouldn't mean anything to the audience. I actually like idea how Leo starts the film shortly after Planet and returns post-Battle. It makes the ending a lot less ridiculous and allows it to fit in with the original films. Maybe.

I think this is a great and fun idea. I like the concept of watching the movies for the first time in chronological rather than production order, as long as one takes into consideration that there will be continuity errors. If you're the type of person that can just relax and enjoy it anyway, I think it would be a fun experiment.

I had trouble talking my wife into watching the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but she was more willing to watch its spinoff Angel. We watched that series in its entirety, and are now going back and watching BtVS. It's fascinating watching these characters at an earlier point in their development. She's seeing some characters' first episodes after she saw them die in the other series! She already has sympathy for some otherwise unlikable characters because she knows how they will develop. It's a first time for her, and a re-watch for me, and we're both finding insights that we likely wouldn't have had otherwise!

Meanwhile, I have another friend who's watching the PotA films for the first time in reverse production order, just for its own sake. Instead of having the most famous installment casting a looming shadow over all the following films, he's going to see the 1968 original after seeing all the derivations, and find out where it all came from.

I say, go ahead and watch X-Men in the order you originally stated, just keeping in mind that DofP means that there have been changes to the timeline.

As for where to put Mask of the Phantasm, I would say either in its release order (in between Returns and Forever) or after the Schumaker films but before the Nolan films. It really stands apart from all the other films, anyway. If you like it enough that you want to see other animated Batman films that exist in the same universe, I highly recommend The Batman/Superman Movie: World's Finest and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Adabisi said:
Yes, but 5021 is obviously a reference to Earth years so the audience has some frame of reference as to how far in the future Leo has travelled. If it was in reference to Asher years, that wouldn't mean anything to the audience. I actually like idea how Leo starts the film shortly after Planet and returns post-Battle. It makes the ending a lot less ridiculous and allows it to fit in with the original films. Maybe.

Actually, the ending was kind of brilliant all on it's own. If they'd have better explained it, it would have been awesome. The thing is, time moves in reverse on either side of the warp hole. That's why Pericles went through the warp hole first and came out last. Leo went through second and came out second. Presumably, the whole ship followed later and came out much earlier than either of them. So it makes sense that though Leo was the first to came back through, he wasn't the first to arrive. The apes on Asher must have been able to figure out how to create their own spacecraft some time later and go through the warp hole themselves, causing them to arrive on Earth long before Leo, and forever altering the course of history.

With all the POTA discussion, I'm leaning that way right now. Plus it's tied at this moment with Alien/Predators. Depending on how the Easter festivities pan out, I may start my next franchise tomorrow. If I do go the POTA route, I think I'll scrap any pretense of trying to work out a doable chronology. My head hurts. Thanks for the insights - very enlightening. But, yeah, sometimes chronology is overrated anyway.

Now, about that third Godfather movie... ;-)

Garp said:
Now, about that third Godfather movie... ;-)

Oh, you mean The Godfather Saga? That's just a re-edit of both of the other Godfather movies. Scenes are rearranged in chronological order, with some deleted material reinstated throughout. It's more of an officially released fan edit than a third movie, but I guess you can count it.

Cheers, everyone, for the suggestions & comments. 'Planet of the Apes' it is, then, followed in a few months by the Alien/Predator films.

Kiaru said:
Actually, the ending was kind of brilliant all on it's own. If they'd have better explained it, it would have been awesome. The thing is, time moves in reverse on either side of the warp hole. That's why Pericles went through the warp hole first and came out last. Leo went through second and came out second. Presumably, the whole ship followed later and came out much earlier than either of them. So it makes sense that though Leo was the first to came back through, he wasn't the first to arrive. The apes on Asher must have been able to figure out how to create their own spacecraft some time later and go through the warp hole themselves, causing them to arrive on Earth long before Leo, and forever altering the course of history.

I think there is still confusion about the ending. My interpretation was:
that while Wahlberg went through the wormhole, his ship said he was going into the future. He got to the planet of the apes, stuff happens, he leaves and goes back through the wormhole, while his ship says he's going into the past, to his present. However, he arrives and sees the Lincoln monument has an ape's head, in fact everyone is an ape, and everything else is just like it is in the present, all the way down to the police cars and uniforms and everything. To me this means his ship was "lying" or confused, and none of the story took place in Earth's future, it took place in (and rewrote) Earth's PAST. Thus when he left and came "back" he actually returned to the altered present where humanity never rose and instead there were only intelligent apes. Hilariously their civilization is EXACTLY like ours.

I thought that twist was on-par with the original film's "it was Earth all along", instead it expects you to think it's Earth all along, but it also expects you to think it's in the future. The twist has nothing to do with whether it was or was not Earth, but WHEN.

In spoiler tags so as not to ruin anything for Garp.

addiesin said:
I think there is still confusion about the ending. My interpretation was:
that while Wahlberg went through the wormhole, his ship said he was going into the future. He got to the planet of the apes, stuff happens, he leaves and goes back through the wormhole, while his ship says he's going into the past, to his present. However, he arrives and sees the Lincoln monument has an ape's head, in fact everyone is an ape, and everything else is just like it is in the present, all the way down to the police cars and uniforms and everything. To me this means his ship was "lying" or confused, and none of the story took place in Earth's future, it took place in (and rewrote) Earth's PAST. Thus when he left and came "back" he actually returned to the altered present where humanity never rose and instead there were only intelligent apes. Hilariously their civilization is EXACTLY like ours.

I thought that twist was on-par with the original film's "it was Earth all along", instead it expects you to think it's Earth all along, but it also expects you to think it's in the future. The twist has nothing to do with whether it was or was not Earth, but WHEN.

In spoiler tags so as not to ruin anything for Garp.

This guy best explains my understanding of the film: http://qntm.org/apes

He acknowledges that it could still be the same Earth, but my reason for disbelieving that is that the entire expanded universe built around this film is referred to as the Chronicles of Ashlar, Ashlar being the planet the film takes place on: http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_-_The_Chronicles_of_Ashlar
But, either way could work. That being said, we are arguing about what is, in my opinion, the worst of the three iterations of the franchise.

Kiaru said:
This guy best explains my understanding of the film: http://qntm.org/apes

He acknowledges that it could still be the same Earth, but my reason for disbelieving that is that the entire expanded universe built around this film is referred to as the Chronicles of Ashlar, Ashlar being the planet the film takes place on: http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_-_The_Chronicles_of_Ashlar
But, either way could work. That being said, we are arguing about what is, in my opinion, the worst of the three iterations of the franchise.

It is the same earth, according to the little insert card that came with the DVD (seriously...I'm looking at it right now). By the way, the top of the card says "TIME DOES NOT TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE THROUGH AN ELECTROMAGNETIC STORM."

Guess I'm a little late. :lol: I voted for the Fast And The Furious franchise. Just saw Furious 7 on Friday in IMAX and I cannot wait to see it again. I've got one of those Movie Money vouchers so I will definitely see it at least once more theatrically. Furious 6 was my favorite in the franchise, but Furious 7 is giving it serious competition.

TV's Frink said:
It is the same earth, according to the little insert card that came with the DVD (seriously...I'm looking at it right now). By the way, the top of the card says "TIME DOES NOT TRAVEL IN A STRAIGHT LINE THROUGH AN ELECTROMAGNETIC STORM."

Hmm. Well, I guess I'll have to do more research on that one then...

Watched 'POTA' [2001] this past w/end. I saw it at the cinema when it came out, but had largely forgotten it (apart from Estella Warren. I remembered her). Make-up was cool, but otherwise was reminded why it was so forgettable. Had to check out Kiaru's link to 'get' the ending.

So, I've got the remakes/reboots out the way. Onto the originals now...

Back
Top Bottom