• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Help me choose a movie franchise

Which movie franchise should I watch next?

• X-men

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Alien/Predator

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Underworld

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Planet of the Apes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Bourne

• Die Hard

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Fast and Furious

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Batman

• Resident Evil

• Universal Monsters

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Kiaru said:
Technically speaking, chronologically, the order would be Escape, Conquest, Battle, Planet, Beneath, but please, please do not watch them in that order. I am also a chronology nut, but once you've watched them all in release order, I think you'll totally agree that it's the best way to watch them

OK, I may to rethink the whole POTA chronology, it seems. Cheers for the input.

matrixgrindhouse said:
Mask of the Phantasm is a must. Besides being the only theatrically released animated Batman movie, it's phenomenal. I like it better than every live action movie other than the Nolan trilogy. And even then, perhaps a notch higher than TDKR.

OK, thanks. Will definitely seek it out. But where does it fit, I wonder..?

Garp said:
OK, I may to rethink the whole POTA chronology, it seems. Cheers for the input.

To simplify my previous, possibly overly long, post, here is the order I would recommend watching Planet of the Apes in:

Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Escape from the Planet of the Apes
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes (Live-Action TV Series) (totally optional)
Return to the Planet of the Apes (Animated TV Series) (also totally optional)
Planet of the Apes (2001)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Garp said:
But where does it fit, I wonder..?

It's part of the DCAU, itself a rather large continuity. It wouldn't gel very well with any of the live action films. I guess you could shoehorn it in at some point after Batman 1989, but before Batman Forever. There will be a gigantic continuity error present if you use that rationale, though.

Kiaru said:
To simplify my previous, possibly overly long, post, here is the order I would recommend watching Planet of the Apes in:

Battle for the Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes (Live-Action TV Series) (totally optional)
Return to the Planet of the Apes (Animated TV Series) (also totally optional)
Planet of the Apes (2001)
I've never seen the live action TV show. Is it good? I love the original movie and the two new ones. The sequel films are just ok in my opinion and I hate the cartoon. It's been so long since I saw Burton's that I don't really remember it.

Kiaru said:
Technically speaking, chronologically, the order would be Escape, Conquest, Battle, Planet, Beneath

Well, that depends on the chronology you choose to follow. For the earth, that's the chronology. For the Cornelius/Zira/Caesar chronology, it's Planet, Beneath, Escape, Conquest, Battle. For earth humans it's technically Planet, Escape, Conquest, Battle, Planet again, Beneath. But I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws.

asterixsmeagol said:
I've never seen the live action TV show. Is it good? I love the original movie and the two new ones. The sequel films are just ok in my opinion and I hate the cartoon. It's been so long since I saw Burton's that I don't really remember it.

Honestly, if you don't at least appreciate the sequels, you probably won't enjoy the TV series that much. The best way I could describe it is a mix of the atmosphere of Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes (which makes sense, as it takes place between these movies). The plotline is most similar to Planet of the Apes, but the world at that time is most like it was in Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Like I said, I'm only halfway through it, but I've enjoyed it so far.

Adabisi said:
Well, that depends on the chronology you choose to follow. For the earth, that's the chronology. For the Cornelius/Zira/Caesar chronology, it's Planet, Beneath, Escape, Conquest, Battle. For earth humans it's technically Planet, Escape, Conquest, Battle, Planet again, Beneath. But I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws.

Like this?

main-qimg-46400b16e92be57134d8b51eae831566

Adabisi said:

Yes, you are correct. I did consider that as I was writing that, but thought it'd be best not to get into all of that (both because the debate seemed pointless, and because I wanted to avoid any spoilers). I was merely looking at actual date (the earth and almost everyone on it) chronology.

But yes, as you point out, you could argue that release order is chronological order from our primary protagonists' perspective. Additionally, a very good case could be made for Escape, Conquest, and Battle taking place in an alternate timeline, making it ridiculous to approach the series from any sort of chronological perspective outside that of our protagonists.

Garp said:
Like this?

Spoilers follow.

Oh my gosh. Looking at that, for the first time, I think I've found a way to logically connect the old movies with the new ones (contradicting Cornelius' testimony in Escape, of course, but I think it's fair to contradict that, since that came from the Sacred Scrolls, which we all know weren't worth their parchment).

You could logically place the movies in this order:
(far future)
(following our protagonists into an alternate timeline)
Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

It could be surmised that the new movies are the original fall of the planet, and that Escape/Conquest/Battle are the alternate timeline spawned from the actions of Cornelius and Zira. Hmm...

Though this contradicts the whole reverse time travel theory of Planet of the Apes (2001), you could explain that film by saying that Leo left before the events of either Rise or Escape and returned after. Hmm...

Garp said:
Like this?

Just to complicate things even more, the pink box should really be well over to the right, past the Beneath box, not below the Planet box.

Adabisi said:
Just to complicate things even more, the pink box should really be well over to the right, past the Beneath box, not below the Planet box.

Massive spoilers follow. Ye be warned.

How do you figure? The earth gets blown up at the end of Beneath. How is Leo supposed to come back to Earth after it gets destroyed? Remember, that's the one film where the whole story takes place on a different planet, so it's really quite separate from this story. But before Leo goes through the warp hole thing, the status of civilization is clearly pre-Escape/Rise.

I had no idea this was going to be so complicated. I should have kept things simple and just gone with the 'Terminator' franchise. [emoji6]

Kiaru said:
Massive spoilers follow. Ye be warned.

How do you figure? The earth gets blown up at the end of Beneath. How is Leo supposed to come back to Earth after it gets destroyed? Remember, that's the one film where the whole story takes place on a different planet, so it's really quite separate from this story. But before Leo goes through the warp hole thing, the status of civilization is clearly pre-Escape/Rise.

Mainly because Burton's film takes place in 5021 AD and the original takes place in 3978 AD.

Garp, I went with Bourne if only so you would be done quicker.

Vultural said:
Garp, I went with Bourne if only so you would be done quicker.

Thanks. Unless there's some weird Bourne chronology that I haven't taken into account...

Four films - done.

Then you can move on to the classy Twilight Saga.

Back
Top Bottom