• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Have you guys heard the Blade Runner news yet?

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't like boxsets that aren't normal dimensions. It ca be as thick as it wants, but it should only be as tall and wide as normal DVDs so it fits on standardized shelves. The Superman boxset looks to be about the same size as that BR case.

Well inside the tin, as you can see in my other photo, is O-ring packaging that's standard "height", so you could just keep that on your shelf if you so wanted. I don't usually mind O-ring packaging, but I do intend to replace all of mine with amaray cases just because I prefer them. But in this case the O-ring packaging is just awful. They could have easily used five disc-holders in the packaging, but they've used 3 so that two of them have an over-lapped disc which is very unprofessional for a commercial product. It appears that this is the case for all the 5-disc releases, regardless of what countries' you buy - although I could still be proven wrong since the disc is yet-to-be released in the USA, Canada and in Australia, etc.

I really don't know why I didn't work out that's what the packaging was like to begin with, because look at the product images here:
and here. Now although Amazon's product image hides it, I had worked out looking between the two that EZYDVD's product image showed the O-ring packaging 3 times (open, semi-open and closed), I worked it out on the basis that it appeared to include more then US version, but it's just a deceptive product image - you could not actually photograph the real product like that. But you can see clearly in EzyDVD's product image that the O-ring packaging is an overlapping product!

Anyhow after watching the 2007 cut, all I have to say is that I was not disappointed with this cut of the movie, it's very faithful to Scott's 1992 director's cut, but clearly he feels he's done a more complete job this time around. In the audio commentary he mentions that the rumour that the studio forced him to do the voice-over is false, it was his decision but he doesn't think it worked out the way he wanted. Meaning, if you will, that the only real thing the studio would have forced was the happy-ending.

This of course is not unusual, studio's often want to make a more satisfying ending for audiences - I have a friend who when we saw Zodiac together at the movies walked out saying he enjoyed it but didn't like the ending because they left it open. This is the obvious problem faced with an ending like Blade-Runner's, it's not that it's a bad ending; but you can dissatisfy your audience with it.

I must say I didn't really know what to expect with the 2007 Final Cut, because I didn't know if it would be an unrecognizable movie or what. Thankfully Scott is very good at revising his movies. Alien is a prime example, and I think that I would still show the theatrical cut to someone who hasn't seen the movie before - because it is just that much more intense at the end when the director's cut does loose a bit of pace by re-inserting a certain scene - with that said, both cuts are very good.

Also, in the extensive deleted scenes you hear a lot of the voice-over that was recorded but never used in the theatrical cuts - this really did give an insight into what Scott must have been trying to achieve with it, and gave my a greater appreciation for the theatrical cut - which I've not seen now in many, many years - in fact I can't even remember the last time I watched the director's cut; all I know is that I've been waiting years for the final cut and it was not disappointing.

Here's a side photo so you can get a better sense of the size of the tin (it's a very nice tin):

sideyu3.jpg

And here's the inside of my case (on the back that's the "letter" printed on clear plastic that came with the tin, I put in there just cause I can):

caserj6.jpg

The type of case I used is exactly the same product that is used commercially by Fox to release TV series like 24 in thinpak's, which I bought here (it comes in a 5-disc version and a 6-disc version).

I just finished my blade runner weekend and Im convinced that Final Cut is best version so far.......

Dangerous Days is very interesting documentary with lots of shots and intersting stories ( for example: idea was that Tyrell is replicant too...and real Tyrell is dead).

I got my imported copy of the PAL 5 DVD set (not in a tin though - it's cardboard basically; you know the style that pulls out of a sleave & then folds out, like the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions do) although I haven't had time to watch much more than The Final Cut. It's pretty much perfect now. The PAL resolution fits my default monitor resolution perfectly, so the video looks crystal clear as well.

I'm quite happy with both the film and the package.

...and I want to add that Im not a fan of V.O. and Im big fan of 'Deckard-is-replicant' version!

I got it from Amazon.co.uk. There were multiple versions of PAL 5 DVD releases on that site. The other options were the tin version, a combo with the soundtrack on a 6th disk, the HD versions, and the briefcase thing.

This is the closest existing thread that i could find regarding Blade Runner in general so i figure I'd post this here, seems like theres quite the danger lurking about: a potential sequel or prequel *gasp*

http://www.slashfilm.com/blade-runner-prequelsequel/

This could spell certain doom... no choice but to wait and see what happens.

I actually don't mind this at all. Even though the off-shoots will likely be not all that great, I welcome the chance to find out. The fact that the rights would specifically forbid them from remaking the original film is all it takes to make me happy.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? has, if you didn't know already, been released as a massive set of comics, that apparently use the original dialogue/text from the original novel. I'm busting my balls trying to get them.

Now, something I didn't know about until recently was/is a prequel to DADOES called 'Dust to Dust', that is also being produced as a set of comics.

John W. Campbell Award-nominee Chris Roberson (iZombie) writes the prequel to John W. Campbell Memorial Award-winner Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, one of the greatest science fiction novels ever published! Who hunted androids before Rick Deckard? Taking place immediately after World War Terminus ends, the problems with artificial life -- androids -- become apparent. The government decides they must become targets, hunted down, but who will do the dirty work? Two men are assigned: Malcolm Reed, a "special" human with the power to feel others' emotions, and Charlie Victor, who's the perfect man for the job... or is he? What secret does Victor hide? Meanwhile Samantha Wu, a Stanford biologist, fights to save the last of the living animals. Don't miss this science fiction milestone that fleshes out Philip K. Dick's world and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep's mythology!
If these prequels were to option that, I wouldn't be upset.

80bdbc9f-4071-4d57-a481-f4713ad1e6ea.jpg

Back
Top Bottom