• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Hackers: The 56K Upgrade

I'm in uncharted territory, so it's entirely possible something about my process is incorrect.

In terms of content, the MGM logo has definitely been replaced, and that's increased the runtime by a few seconds. I don't know if there are any actual changes outside of that. I'm starting to think the lost frames are actually due to my conversion to 23.976 fps. I converted from 24.0 to 23.976 when I made my production master h264 file as I figured that would make it easier to re-align the new video, but maybe this is causing quirks.

Oh, and I was wrong about the audio: If I align it perfectly, it does eventually drift apart. But the subjective quality and the nature of the mix appears to be the same.

I'm doing a Ship of Theseus and rebuilding the entire project left to right. End result will be a complete replacement with this new restoration. September release is still possible, but not probable.

One of the more interesting things I've found so far: About an hour into the movie we get a brief flashback from the beginning, when young Dade is being driven away. In the back channel, clear as day, is part of the MGM lion growl:

growl.png

The sound is there at the beginning of the movie too but it's stretched out like 300% so it just sounds like a weird atmospheric noise.

I'm doing a Ship of Theseus and rebuilding the entire project left to right. End result will be a complete replacement with this new restoration. September release is still possible, but not probable.
Ooof :( On the one hand, that sucks because of the amount of extra work involved. On the other hand, the end result will be improved from the additional time you spend on it.

Yup. I've got my earlier project to remind me how I did stuff, and so far I've found a couple ways to do things more simply. I'm about 70% through the rebuild so it's going pretty fast. When that's done, I'll still have another 30-40% to do to finish the project.

Testing the waters on something: David Gilmour's famously anonymous guitar solo might not make the cut...

One of the more interesting things I've found so far: About an hour into the movie we get a brief flashback from the beginning, when young Dade is being driven away. In the back channel, clear as day, is part of the MGM lion growl:

growl.png

The sound is there at the beginning of the movie too but it's stretched out like 300% so it just sounds like a weird atmospheric noise.

Way cool!

Indeed...

way-cool.png

;)

Oh my Dog! That is literally the thing I see in my head every time I say that! Apparently it's my masking technique. Almost everything I say comes from movie lines. I watched this movie 100 times. It's elite!! 😉 I can't wait to see a new version! A Gibson for the 21st century!

Testing the waters on something: David Gilmour's famously anonymous guitar solo might not make the cut...
Nobody protested, so David's solo is now relegated to the end credits. Sorry, Pink Floyd fans.

Nobody protested, so David's solo is now relegated to the end credits. Sorry, Pink Floyd fans.

I'm drawing a blank. What part is this at? I've seen the movie 1000 times, but it's been awhile since my last watch.

During the hacking montage with the spinning phone booths. David Gilmour is one of the performers, but it was kept a secret for a very long time.

I think my two favorites are Halcyon and Voodoo People. I'm sure I'm forgetting some though. I love the soundtrack.

Still there.

The only sourced songs I've removed are Original Bedroom Rockers (Kruder & Dorfmeister) and Heaven Knows (Squeeze). The rest of the removals are Simon Boswell stuff.

Summary of the new songs:
  • 1 from Underworld (which makes 2 total since Cowgirl is already in there)
  • 3 from Hooverphonic (I removed the vocal from one of them with an AI model)
  • 4 from Massive Attack (which makes 5 total since Protection is already in there)
  • 1 from Tricky
I didn't plan on leaning so heavily on Mezzanine, but all four songs work too damn well to swap them out in the name of diversity.

Oh, and Good Grief (Urban Dance Squad) has been relegated to background.

Back
Top Bottom