• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Guns N' Roses 'Chinese Democracy'

Throw-
is that supposed to read meWithoutYou?

lol, :grin: yes fixed. thanks. their newest album is really cool. I guess they are labeled as a christian band, but the music is not preachy. Its interesting music

[youtube:1gweh62x]

Thanks for the recommendations Throw. :)

I agree mainstream rock has always been shite, but like you said every decade there has always been 1 or 2 bands that were great & were above the average bands. Sadly this hasn't been the case over the last 10 years. :(

Sadly your list of mainstream rock bands confirms my fears. All those bands you mentioned are 90's bands, there has been no great band this decade.:-(

But thanks for the list though, I really liked your last recommendation of This Will Destroy You so I'll check your other recommedations with great interest. :)

PS
I understand not liking U2 now cause Bono has slowly but gradually turned into a professional twat, but how can you not like Achtung Baby?

catch for us the foxes (their second album) was my favorite. just the right mix between their first (a-->b life = heavier) and their third (brother, sister = softer)

incedently the are the only band on tooth and nail (a christian "punk" label) that I can stomach.

yes, I'll agree with you there. 1 or 2 great mainstream bands per decade seems about right, and I can think of none that emerged in the last 10 years or so really. But chin up, there is a LOT of great music still. We dont have to cling to those mediocre GnR or Metallica albums (these bands should have went out during their prime, imho).

No, I honestly don't like ANY U2. I have a lot of respect for them, but I could never get into the music.

If you are seriously going to check out those bands listed above, I will suggest my favorite albums from them. I assume you are quite familiar with Sigur Rós, so I'll skip over that.

-The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
-Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
-Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
-Murder By Death - Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them
-MeWithoutYou - Brother, Sister
-Thrice - The Alchemy Index vols. III & IV

...and all of these bands have emerged in the last decade. Hopefully you find something you enjoy :)

elbarto1 said:
catch for us the foxes (their second album) was my favorite. just the right mix between their first (a-->b life = heavier) and their third (brother, sister = softer)

yes, that one is a nice mix. I like all 3 a lot.

elbarto1 said:
incedently the are the only band on tooth and nail (a christian "punk" label) that I can stomach.

A-men to that brotha!! :lol: :lol:

lol!

show us the light, brother!

:lol:

btw: everybody should also listen to any stuff of ´and you will know us by the trail of dead´

Heinrich said:
btw: everybody should also listen to any stuff of ´and you will know us by the trail of dead´

oh yes, great stuff. I particularly like the album Source Tags & Codes ...and I see these gents have a new album coming out on Dec 2nd. exciting!!

good news!

it should be better than the album mentioned in the thread title...

:)

Heinrich said:
good news!

it should be better than the album mentioned in the thread title...

:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think this topic has successfully taken a track off course. lol good job bringing it back to the point, Heinrich!!

:smile:

taking it further off track:

i just listened to weird stuff. can´t say it was totally cool. jsut weird.

i think it was an ep by neurosis with some chick singing. she sounded like she is really depressed. there was this thick neurosis thunder&lightning doom hardcore combine with the strange woman. in this one song she repeated over and over again ´if god wants to take us... he will!´

if you want to try something different. not good but strange enough!

:eek:

My Along Came a Spider arrived today....Vengeance is Mine has been blasting all day. Awesome!

a few other newer groups (or groups that are still putting out music) that FatherMerrin (and others that are dissatisfied with current mainstream music) might like:

The Weakerthans
Death Cab For Cutie
Chin Up Chin Up
Minus the Bear
Decemberists
Priestess
Airbourne
Jets to Brazil
The Hold Steady
Dinosaur Jr
Dandy Warhols
Cordova (aka: Cordova Academy Glee Club)
Coheed and Cambria
Built to Spill
Belle and Sebastian
Bonnie Prince Billy (aka: Will Oldham)
Pinback
Queens of the Stone Age
Riddle of Steel
The Shins
Silversun Pickups
Snow Patrol
Sonic Youth
Sparta
Sufjan Stevens
Walking Concert
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
!!! (pronounced: chk chk chk)

I just ran down my ipod and listed a few newer groups that I felt most people who like what Father Merrin mentioned may like.

yes, lots of goodies in there. I could add to that list. There are a couple in your list I don't know, that I will look into :)

ThrowgnCpr said:
yes, lots of goodies in there. I could add to that list.

do, I am always up for new music, and we seem to have similar taste.

OK, here's a few off the top of my head. I'll rummage through my albums for some more

Always the Runner
Beirut
Cursive
Seu Jorge
Mogwai
Mono
My Dad vs. Yours
On the Might of Princes
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Red Sparowes
Tegan & Sara

Yeah!!!! :)

So many new bands to listen to, excellent. Thanks guys. :)

Throw isn't Mogwai from Gremlins?

This thread has developed in a really positive way as far as I'm concerned. :smile: I mean last night I saw an advert on TV for the Chinese Democracy & the song that was played throughout the advert was Sweet Child O' Mine, says it all really. :lol:

lol, sweet child o mine for the new album. that bodes well. :D

yep, Mogwai was the little fuzzy gremlin. Thats how I found this band years back. I really recommend the album, Come on Die Young. Pretty awesome stuff.

actually, gizmo was the little fuzzy mogwai.
when mogwai (whats the plural, mogwai's?) get wet, they change into gremlins... or is it when they eat after midnight?

i know i know, its trivial but i couldn't resist :p

and I prefer "young team" by them.

Back
Top Bottom