• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Guns N' Roses 'Chinese Democracy'

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved the old Guns N' Roses, I really loved their music. The songs I have heard from the new album (leaked stuff, single), it doesn't sound like the good old GNR and I really don't like it. I will ofcourse judge it when I have heard the new album, but right now, I'm not enthusiastic.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol. I havent heard anything off this release. is it actually coming out? :eek:

I tried to see them about 6 years ago in Philly and they never showed up. everyone there tore the arena apart. it was a blast. :twisted:

So who's up for a round of Duke Nuke Em Forever? :smile:

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the new sound. I first heard this stuff over two years ago when I downloaded the demos and then a bootleg called "Whenever It's Done" which is a compilation of live versions of the new material and I couldn't stop listening to it. They also played several of the new songs when I went to see them back in November 2006 and they sounded even better live live. Now don't get me wrong I'm a Guns fan from back in the day but I think the new sound is awesome. It's a complete 180 from what they used to do, and unlike Metallica, it actually sounds good. I can't wait for the album to actually come out.

Grievous Angel Draven

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be picking it up soon, after I stop listening to Black Ice (AD/DC rules!).

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grievous Angel Draven said:
I'll be picking it up soon, after I stop listening to Black Ice (AD/DC rules!).

I wasn't impressed with Black Ice. Sure it had a few good songs but overall it was just an average AC/DC album.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've listened to it twice & twice I've fallen asleep through it.

My problem isn't that it's a bad album, it's just that's it's desperately average.

None of the songs IMO are bad, but out of the 14 tracks there is not one classic. There is not one song that is up there with Paradise City or You Could Be Mine & when you have a 70min album you need at least 2 or 3 classics to prop up the record.

Another problem is that it feels so laboured. Rock N Roll records should be recorded quickly in a haze of sex & drugs to capture the energy of the band & the songs. This album just feels so clinical & cold and there's too many epic power ballads. It's also an overtly narcissistic album, practically every song is moaning about someone or other. I mean these songs are 14 years old, so basically he's spent $13million to bitch about things that happened over a decade ago. That's just not healthy man.

What amazes me is that he spent 14 years on such average songs. He would of been better of spending a year writing & releasing a crap album & then just get on with his life, than spend 14 years on an average album that is just gonna be a dust collector in 12 months.

What's interesting about that this album is that it's kind of a dinosaur.

Even though it's 14 years late it's actually a perfect progression from the Use Your Illusion albums. The thing is 14 years ago was the peak of Grunge in the US & the start of Britpop in the UK, so if this album was released 14 years ago it would of been ignored. The only reason there's an interest in this album is because of the delay, but the ironic thing is that the delay has been so long that even some Gun N' Roses fans have ignored this record.

Anyway, this is how I listen to the album now. I've added O My God to the track listing too.

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Better
3. Street Of Dreams
4. Madagascar
5. Catcher In The Rye
6. I.R.S
7. O My God
8. There Was A Time

Total Run Time: 40min

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The disc sounds like it is - a collection of songs written over a 15 year period.
CD is 14 Jumbled songs that don't mesh well together and vary largely from style to style.

The title track and 'IRS' are the only songs that peaked my ears and even then it was a 'meh' kind of reaction. GnR should sound like GnR, this sounds like Axl rose singing over some newfangled rock band (shocker right) its not bad, it just has no balls. Axl should learn from AC/DC and Metallica - give me the old 80's GnR and I'll be ecstatic.

like Fathermerrin said; there's no standouts, the whole thing isn't bad but its terribly average.

CD is not anywhere as bad as the abysmal Spaghetti Incident, but does anyone regard that as a proper album?

2/5

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have to disagree with you on AC/DC because their new album, while it does have a few good songs, is just average.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heard the new cd, don't like it at all. Not my GNR thing, I prefer the "1991 style".

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I have to disagree with you on AC/DC because their new album, while it does have a few good songs, is just average.

I agree, and Death Magnetic is also pretty average, the point I was trying to make (and failed I suppose) is that at least those other releases sound like the respective bands. The new GnR doesnt, which is primarily because its not GnR, rather just Axl - and this is the problem I have w/ these "bands" that keep going after there is only 1 remaining original member.

Anyway, the album is average and it doesnt sound like GnR - unlike the average AC/DC and Metallica efforts that sounded very much like those respective artists back catalog.

I am all about taking a chance and trying something new... but after 15 years? c'mon iron out the freaking wrinkles dude!

does that help clear it up?
:)

Grievous Angel Draven

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just listened to Chinese Democracy, and to put it bluntly, IT'S THE WORST ALBUM I'VE HEARD THIS YEAR! (excluding Death Magnetic) Not one song has the same catchiness as their early output. With Rose alone, the sound is a little bit of old and new, but unlike the immeasurably better album Motorhead released this year, mixing old and new leaves you with rubbish. Also, after listening to this cow pie of an album, I threw it in my disc shredder. Then I listened to some good music from returning bands, namely Alice Cooper's Along Came a Spider. It seems that when a band returns after 15 years away, you'd expect more, and often, you're left feeling deeply disappointed, as was I. Don't listen to this album, and go pick up either Motorhead's new album, Saints of Los Angeles, Black Ice, or Along Came a Spider. As elbarto1 said, "CD is not anywhere as bad as the abysmal Spaghetti Incident, but does anyone regard that as a proper album?"

0/5

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GnR? Metallica? please... it's time to move on people. Stop listening to these washed up bands, and move on. I dont mean to sound like a party pooper, but there are thousands of amazing bands out there that have yet to play through your speakers.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now this album has been released, can we please get on and play Duke Nukem Forever already?

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
Now this album has been released, can we please get on and play Duke Nukem Forever already?
Wuhahahaha, good one!! :smile:

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I dont mean to sound like a party pooper, but there are thousands of amazing bands out there that have yet to play through your speakers.

I'd love to listen to a new great band, but they don't exist.

Tell me one band that's come out in the last 10 years that are as good as Led Zeppelin or U2 at their peak. The kind of stuff I like to listen is pretty much mainstream rock. So that's stuff like Radiohead, R.E.M, Bowie & The Beatles.

That music scene is currently dead. :cry:

There's nothing out there anymore that's great & I mean GREAT like The Who or The Beatles, it's just average the whole god damn music scene is average. It sucks. :evil:

So if you know of a new band that's up their with the likes of Pink Floyd that I've manged to overlook over the last 10 years please tell me. Seriously, I desperate to listen to something new & genuinely great.

& don't say Coldplay or I'll be forced to hunt you down like a dog.... a dog I tell you!!! :lol:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FatherMerrin said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
I dont mean to sound like a party pooper, but there are thousands of amazing bands out there that have yet to play through your speakers.

I'd love to listen to a new great band, but they don't exist.

Tell me one band that's come out in the last 10 years that are as good as Led Zeppelin or U2 at their peak. The kind of stuff I like to listen is pretty much mainstream rock. So that's stuff like Radiohead, R.E.M, Bowie & The Beatles.

That music scene is currently dead. :cry:

There's nothing out there anymore that's great & I mean GREAT like The Who or The Beatles, it's just average the whole god damn music scene is average. It sucks. :evil:

So if you know of a new band that's up their with the likes of Pink Floyd that I've manged to overlook over the last 10 years please tell me. Seriously, I desperate to listen to something new & genuinely great.

& don't say Coldplay or I'll be forced to hunt you down like a dog.... a dog I tell you!!! :lol:

OK FM. I am going to go into my radio rock rant now so please bear with me :grin: Music is certainly NOT dead, and the scene is a whole different thing, its many scenes. I'll start off with a disclaimer that I do not like many of the bands you mentioned here. I never liked the Beatles, Pink Floyd puts me to sleep, and I dont care for REM or U2.

begin summoning the lynch mob :oops:

You are right in that for the most part mainstream music is boring and average, but I ALWAYS thought it was like this. With the exception of a band or 2 per decade that I thought was brilliant and mainstream, its always been a bunch of dull knock-off bands. IMHO, now is one of the best times for music. Because of technological advances, the record label is not that important, and bands are able to create music at home and promote themselves and spread their music on the net.

Here is my breakdown. I will try to keep this "rock" oriented

some mainstream bands that I think are still putting out good music consistently:
(I dont like coldplay :p )
-Radiohead
-Nine Inch Nails
-Foo Fighters
-Smashing Pumpkins
-Weezer

and some quasi-mainstream bands:
-Sigur Rós
-The Mars Volta
-Flogging Molly

and some non-mainstream bands that are exceptional:
-Explosions in the Sky