• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Game of Thrones Complete Seasons 7-8 Edit

Episode 1- The audio levels jump... Haven't heard anyone mention this one yet.
Maybe it stood out to me because I was listening on headphones?
E2- Theon'... I want to cut him looking afraid before jumping off ship. his demeanor afterwards is defeated up until he talks to Jon
Exactly! I think "defeated" is a great description. My feeling of his arc up to this point is that he could easily just feel worthless and incapable... certainty of failure is reason enough not to try. It's just about 2 seconds where he looks genuinely afraid and cowardly and it's OTT for me. By simply making him decide not to try because he knows he'll lose, it has great resonance with his final stand with Bran, where he knows he'll lose but he tries anyway. He gets a full arc.
E3-I definitely did a ton of work on cutting the worst of Euron.
You did indeed, much appreciated! I very much appreciated that it ain't as easy to kill a dragon in this, especially when it's clearly a trap. Euron getting his comeuppance for being a cocky over-reacher is very satisfying here.
- I placed Brans VO section with Jon at the end because it leads right into the next episode. I think it would be a good idea to look at moving Sansa and Bran's conversation to right before this rather than at the beginning of the episode.
Yeah, could work
E5-he gets such a ridiculous beatdown here that his miraculous recovery and triumph doesn’t make much sense... I'll look into reducing the amount he get's beaten up.
I know you're not keen on the war of the groin hits, but maybe just one big one from Theon would work?
E6- I realized in retrospect that the ending here was supposed to be Dany getting a vision to go North
-
So this was supposed to be the Night King sending a vision to Dany to lure her up North. This is also why Dany shows up in E8. If the NK is luring her up to get her dragon it shows that he actually had a plan to make it over the Wall. Any advice on making this more clear would be great!
So the issue is that we've never seen anything like the NK sending visions to people. I think it also wouldn't be clear what it means...a warning? A taunt? I like the idea that he wants Jon up there to lure Dany up there to get a dragon, cool. But I don't think him sending visions will work. Bran maybe? There's something like a precedent there. A line of V.O. from Bran like "Danaerys! They're in danger!" paired with a vision of Jon and Jorah surrounded would be sufficient cause to get her to jump on a dragon. But I'd also be careful of the timing. The current vision looks like it occurs when she touches the throne...it's misleading in terms of causality.
E7- Here's where I think Bran's VO is a few sentences too long, esp with no reaction shots from Jon. Simply “Jon…Jon, be careful. This storm isn’t natural. He’s hunting you…” would be enough. Clearly, if you can insert reaction shots of Jon suddenly turning to look slightly in one direction or another, that would really help sell it. Generally speaking, all the VO from Bran could use more reaction shot inserts.
-
Definitely had feedback saying to cut back some of his lines here. Lots of people have said they like it as is and lots have said to tone it down. Not sure what the best option is. I'll look into some reaction shots but I think I remember trying to have them in when I first made it and I couldn't make it work without cutting out scenes to reuse for the reaction shots.
I mostly like it, I'd just trim a couple sentences. For reaction shots, you can go back to the old Cannon Films/Corman Studios tried-and-true method: flip the frame. They reused shots in movies all the time, just by flipping it so the guy is facing right instead of left now. lol You can also probably get away with using a few reactions trimmed from other seasons, for most characters anyway.
E8- I really hated the deus ex machina moment with Benjen. I know it's a stretch to think he made it all the way back without freezing, but I preferred it over Benjen popping out of nowhere to save him in the last second.
I suspected that might be the reasoning. I had the same reaction with both him and Dany on the dragon when I first watched the original season. But it's not that hard to get around, it just has to be seeded. We last saw him patrolling up there North of the wall, so it makes sense he's in the area. You just take about 2-3 seconds of footage of him galloping through snow, zoomed in if necessary to obscure who's on the horse. You cut to that several times in the previous episode and beginning of this episode, so it looks like somebody could be coming for Jon and Co. but we don't know if it's friend or foe. Maybe when we see the NK on the hill with his leiutenants, people assume it was him. But then when they leave and Jon is freezing, finally BenJen bursts onto the scene. Voila. Now it's not deus ex machina, it's payoff.
E10- Jon is suddenly riding a dragon!?
-
This was a big issue for me as well. First, because I wanted to have an episode that was tension before the final battle. This flight and their scene at the waterfall was too casual
Would it work to bump the dragon ride trial to right before they march into Winterfell? Or even to an earlier episode? The whole sequence (like the romantic waterfall kiss, etc) doesn't need to be used, just the part where he first tries to get on a dragon and flies a bit awkwardly. The rest can be saved for later use. I think it just needs to be established that Jon has been on a dragon before Winterfell...particularly as this is part of why he so easily accepts that Ned Stark was lying to him and he's a Targareyon...he knows it's true because he's the only other person the dragons have let ride them.
E11- This episode otoh, is dark as hell and impossible to see in the opening castle scenes. Could levels be adjusted? - Very weird that this episode is dark for you. I did some adjustments to both E10 and E11, but they were the same adjustments across the whole thing.
Okay that makes sense, E10 is a lot better! It's just the scenes in the castle in the first 15 min of E11. I saw several other reviews mention blurriness or a lack of clarity in dark sections, and I wonder if this is what they were referring to also? The scenes are all lit differently, so maybe breaking out that section and processing it separately would be helpful.
- I've thought about doing text on screen for wrapping up the show but I felt it was getting too far into "fan fiction" territory. I had seen another edit a few years ago try that and I didn't think it worked very well. That's just my opinion though. Not sure what others might think.
I know what you mean. I think the appearance of the text is pretty important. If it has a professional looking font and can pass for something you'd see in an '80s film, I think that would work. But with cheesy text placement, I know it can absolutely scream "fanedit!" I was imagining something like the classic "Where Are They Now?" style epilogue from Animal House.....
....and when I searched for that, I found somebody had already made one for Game of Thrones! Okay, this is done just as a joke, but it does give you the gist. Also, it's pretty damn funny!
Done by a "Jack MacMillan"...I'm assuming not the same as @macmilln ??
Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm not going to be getting to this stuff right away, I'm trying to take a break from GOT for a bit and get a clear head.
Yeah, no worries, totally understandable! Already a great job on this. I think you definitely sorted out the key restructuring, and the invention of the messages/warging from Bran make great connective tissue. It's already a very impressive edit.

Thank you for doing this. I will watch it when I get the link. I sent a PM :)

OMG what an *awesome* fan edit. I just finally finished watching. Great... far superior to the original Dan and Dave version and another fan edit I saw. The latter was good, but tried to tie up all the extraneous loose ends and ended up having cuts that were too jarring and all over the place. This one was clean and smooth for the most part. Some disjointedness impossible to not perceive in a fan edit. Also, the voiceovers took me out of the moment because there weren't in the rest of the series... but I totally understand why you did them and I see their value, which is why I'm not being critical of them. Honestly there were more that a few points of confusion that others have brought up at the end... but once again, you can only do so much with the source material. Still highly worth watching and recommended, esp for folks like me who were *so* let down by the original release. Thank you so much OP for helping me rediscover my love for the GoT universe. I may even start watching the new series now lol...

Back
Top Bottom