• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Game of Thrones Complete Seasons 7-8 Edit

Yeah, one of the things I didn't mention in my private critiques are that I agree with SpectacularSMan about Brienne.  If Jamie's ending of dying with his sister-lover is nixed, then thematically it's only fair that his heroism is chronicled.  It's doubly important, actually.  That necessitates Brienne making it out to do that.  If the worry is that the room will be too recognizable, perhaps a crop of the scene or the frame would get around that.

This has been submitted for Academy review. Thread moved to pending.

i have the Mega link (Jan 2020) from reddit.
1st episode is 2.7gigs, which is over the limit for Mega's free download.

Is there a smaller size version?

Frank1 said:
i have the Mega link (Jan 2020) from reddit.
1st episode is 2.7gigs, which is over the limit for Mega's free download.

Is there a smaller size version?

I don't currently have smaller sizes. I thought the download limit was 5gb? Either way, you should be able to get around it by using a vpn and megadownloader. If you google how to get around the mega limit you should find a way.

Thanks,
AC

almightycutie said:
I don't currently have smaller sizes. I thought the download limit was 5gb? Either way, you should be able to get around it by using a vpn and megadownloader. If you google how to get around the mega limit you should find a way.

Thanks,
AC

thx. i got it.

Suggestion:
In Episode 10, eliminate the Red Witch arriving in the nick of time to light up the Dothraki  steel weapons with fire.
if she didnt show up, then the Dothraki  were going to attack the undead with useless steel weapons.
That makes no sense for the Dothraki to do a suicide charge.

Instead, start that scene at the point where she's lighting up the steel weapons with fire as if she was in Winterfell the whole time and that was the plan all along.
That would explain why the Dothraki were still wielding steel weapons.
But i have no idea how to explain her being in Winterfell for days but not being on screen.

Or how about this:
in Episode 9 when Gentry says that's the last of the Dragonglass wagons, also mention that it might not be enough.
Then somehow have Daenerys say she'll get the Red Witch to help with the fight.
That way you can leave Episode 10 as is with her arriving in the nick of time to light up the weapons.

Basically, I'm trying to explain why the Dothraki were still wielding useless steel weapons vs an impending fight with the undead.

Is steel useless? I thought it did fine against the undead, it just wouldn't kill White Walkers specifically, and in the show there's only around five of those compared to the hordes of undead. Maybe the edit is different.

addiesin said:
Is steel useless? I thought it did fine against the undead, it just wouldn't kill White Walkers specifically, and in the show there's only around five of those compared to the hordes of undead. Maybe the edit is different.

yes, steel is useless vs the undead as well.

in the show, John Snow captures an undead and brings it to Cersai to show her it exists.
then he says the only way to kill it is with fire or Dragonglass. (i dont think he mentions the 3rd way, which is Valerian steel since only like a handful of people have those weapons.)

Frank1 said:
addiesin said:

yes, steel is useless vs the undead as well.

in the show, John Snow captures an undead and brings it to Cersai to show her it exists.
then he says the only way to kill it is with fire or Dragonglass. (i dont think he mentions the 3rd way, which is Valerian steel since only like a handful of people have those weapons.)

I do believe steel ultimately couldn't kill a wight, only cut it down. That's why the freefolk always burned the bodies. But it wouldn't have been useless as they could have done a lot of damage to them still. It wasn't like they were impenetrable to steel. 

There's a lot of bad logic in the planning of this battle (like the trebuchets outside the walls) that I don't think can really be fixed without cutting too much out. My goal with this battle was to bring some stakes back by removing fakeout deaths, and then providing a better flow to the whole thing. I think this edit accomplished that. I don't think I'll be going back to fix some of these more minor problems.

Frank1 said:

I did forget he said that. Still, I don't think it's useless, per se, just because it can't kill them. For example, the Wall didn't kill anything but was still useful for slowing the horde (or would have been if they were dragonless). Cut off enough zombie heads and hands with plain steel and they won't even need to be killed.

I digress, sorry for derailing the thread.

I have approved this fanedit for the IFDb.

This is a very impressive project which recuts and reorders the final two seasons of Game of Thrones to provide a more satisfying narrative structure. While it is impossible to fix the poor writing from D&D, almightycutie has done an excellent job of cutting the weakest, most irrelevant subplots, re-ordering plotlines so that they play out in a more logical sequence, and re-purposing plotlines with interesting results. A very intelligent approach throughout and impressive effects added. The A/V cuts are also all well done.

Additionally, this does feel like a proper full season of Game of Thrones with good pacing, as opposed to the rushed feel of the original S7-8. The approach here was not to cram but rather highlight certain plotlines of more relevance and disregard those that added nothing or detracted. As a result, the remaining plotlines (which have been significantly altered in some cases) feel developed and coherent.

For me personally, this replaces the train wreck of the last two seasons in my mind; it's as if they never happened. Again, great job AC.

I am so glad that this got approved. I obtained it over a year ago and it definitely replaced Seasons 7 & 8 for me. A definitive edit for certain. Congratulations, Cutie!

I am so glad that this got approved. I obtained it over a year ago and it definitely replaced Seasons 7 & 8 for me. A definitive edit for certain. Congratulations, Cutie!
You mean to tell me, for the past year I've been crying myself to sleep every night saying "I dun wan et" and this whole time you've had the power to let me sleep peacefully, but decided not to?

I..... I thought we were friends man

Congrats on the approval. Did you make any additional changes between your initial submission and the approved version?

Thanks! I made a few changes since I last posted on here. I did a re-rip of the file for better quality and put the audio in 5.1. Also added subtitles. I had a lot of complaints about Jon's VO at the end so I removed most of it and made that scene work better. The final scenes were reworked and don't feel quite as rushed as I originally had it. Updated a couple VFX spots. And then I fixed some transitions and audio/dialogue problems that Heavisyde pointed out while he was reviewing it. Most of the other changes were very minor fixes not worth mentioning.

Now I'll have to acquire all the BDs myself. I have season 1 & 2 already, and was loaned the rest before gaining streaming access. Fixing the S7 & 8 trainwreck might push me to actually get the sources.

Was a bit under the weather recently and had time to just bingewatch this. It's a really ambitious edit and I think it mostly works. The real test would be showing it to someone who's never seen the show but who is a keen cinephile, and seeing if there are things that don't add up for them. For my part, I didn't rewatch any of GOT, and instead just watched this directly to see if there's anything that stood out. Personally, I think there are just a couple of issues that prevent it from being one of the great fanedits, and then there are several more that are just personal suggestions. I post them here rather than in my general review of the fanedit, in case anybody else wants to weigh in.

Episode 1- The audio levels jump once in each of first 2 eps (much quieter for about 2 mins, then back to loud again)

E2- Theon's character is mostly redeemed here, but I want to cut him looking afraid before jumping off ship. It's enough if he just thinks he can't win against his uncle so he just runs to fight another day.

E3- Similarly, somebody needed to reign in Pilou Asbæk's performance as Euron in many of the S8 episodes. There's a fine line between being hateable and his over-the-top hamminess that doesn't fit with the rest of the tone of the show. Thankfully, most of the offending bits are cut here, but his high-pitched “oh nooo! What a twat!” line about Theon should also be cut.
Bran’s V.O. mostly worked for me, but his talk to Jon kind of comes out of nowhere in this episode. It would be better positioned right after the “I need to talk to him” conversation he has with Sansa earlier.

E5- Again, I appreciate the effort to redeem Theon, but he gets such a ridiculous beatdown here that his miraculous recovery and triumph doesn’t make much sense. If you want to cut the kneeing to the groin, I think you're going to have to trim his beatdown too because the fight is incredibly one-sided right now, and not in his favor.
There’s no explanation here for why Littlefinger gives the dagger to Bran, and everyone is skeptical about it. A scene earlier could be created where Bran gives a vision/message to Littlefinger saying basically “bring me the dagger”. This can pay off his master plan later… Additionally, Bran’s line “I don’t want it” when he gives the Valerian dagger to Arya should be cut…firstly, it sounds a little emotional (and he’s not supposed to have any now) and secondly, it's better if his only explanation is “What use is it for a cripple?” This can set it up as if he saw in the future that he wouldn’t be able to attack the Night King but he could get him through Arya. Meaning he’s giving this dagger to her knowing it’s a death sentence, but it’s necessary. That's some real GoT s***!

E6- I realized in retrospect that the ending here was supposed to be Dany getting a vision to go North, but that totally didn’t come across at the time. She’s never had visions, and there was no reaction shot from her, no voice from Bran, so this just seemed like a crosscut showing what was happening elsewhere and not something she saw.

E7- Here's where I think Bran's VO is a few sentences too long, esp with no reaction shots from Jon. Simply “Jon…Jon, be careful. This storm isn’t natural. He’s hunting you…” would be enough. Clearly, if you can insert reaction shots of Jon suddenly turning to look slightly in one direction or another, that would really help sell it. Generally speaking, all the VO from Bran could use more reaction shot inserts.

E8- Okay, this is the first major issue with the edit. With the restructuring, Dany suddenly showing up to save Jon here doesn’t really make any sense. Gendry runs back to Eastwatch, but there’s no sense that him telling these guys what happened would somehow quickly get back to Dany. Dany has already gone out of her way to help Jon despite not knowing him much at this point in this edit, so it’s not like she’d feel any responsibility to hurry and check on him as soon as she got the Iron Throne. There’s no VO from Bran sending her a message or really any reason or method at all to explain her sudden arrival. It’s also really hard to believe Jon somehow makes it out of a frozen lake and gets that whole way back by himself without running into the whitewalkers or freezing to death. Why cut out BenJen here??

E10- Jon is suddenly riding a dragon!? Okay, this is the 2nd major issue with this edit. I know you had it as a vision that Jon and Dany ride dragons at the end, but the scene where he first learns to ride a dragon really has to happen before this point. That a momentous occasion, as we've never seen anyone else in the show do anything remotely like it (besides Dany) and we can't have Jon just suddenly fighting atop a dragon in a blizzard, whether it's partially controlled by Bran or not. Really have to commend you for making it look like Bran warged into the dragon at points though! Were the black levels improved on this episode?…it looks less murky and easier to make out than I remember.

E11- This episode otoh, is dark as hell and impossible to see in the opening castle scenes. Could levels be adjusted?
I do miss the rise-up in the crypt…it was a clever surprise and gave some of our less-used characters a way to contribute to the fight.
Between the death of the Night King and Jon and Dany back in King’s Landing, I thinking a long, slow fade-to-black and gradual fade-up would communicate a passage of much time (for travel and recovery).
I'd slightly trim how hyped-up Drogon is before melting the throne…a 10 second scream seems a bit much without any triggering emotional event in this edit; 1 or 2 seconds would be fine.
The last major issue is the ending, I think. The flying scene here is obviously Jon’s first time on a dragon due to his reactions and flopping about…it’s really strange given that he was just capably flying one in a blizzard in combat! The long scene really needs to be used earlier, and just a few shots from it can be flipped/clipped and used here. The musical montage endings for everyone are done pretty well, though I think the very final shots don’t really communicate very clearly what’s happening. I know you want it to seem that Jon and Dany are going to go live in the North now, but the Dany footage just doesn’t really register that way to me. I honestly think with the sort of clip show of the characters you use, that an on-screen text plate next to each one describing what they did after would be the way to go. You know, like in American Graffiti, Three Kings, The Commitments, and so on. This would be the perfect workaround to more clearly communicate what happened after, maybe even get a bit creative. It’s also a way to follow up on characters you don’t have the appropriate footage for, like Bronn, Bran, Yara, Podrick, etc.

Overall, none of these issue break the edit, but I do think that it could be tightened up and truly end up fixing the series. It's not hard to make something better than what we got by just cutting out the offending bits. But this one actually forms a nearly-viable alternative structure and focus. The effects-work and vision is commendable, and I think it's very close to being a great wrap-up to the series.

@mnkykungfu Wow thank you so much for the feedback here. It's a lot to go through, I'll try to respond-

Episode 1- The audio levels jump once in each of first 2 eps (much quieter for about 2 mins, then back to loud again)
-
I'll check the audio and get this fixed. Haven't heard anyone mention this one yet.

E2- Theon's character is mostly redeemed here, but I want to cut him looking afraid before jumping off ship. It's enough if he just thinks he can't win against his uncle so he just runs to fight another day.

- I'll look into this. I'm not sure how much changing this would help because his demeanor afterwards is defeated up until he talks to Jon and decides to go back. If he had just regathered himself and then figured out a way to get her back it would have been better.

E3- Similarly, somebody needed to reign in Pilou Asbæk's performance as Euron in many of the S8 episodes. There's a fine line between being hateable and his over-the-top hamminess that doesn't fit with the rest of the tone of the show. Thankfully, most of the offending bits are cut here, but his high-pitched “oh nooo! What a twat!” line about Theon should also be cut.
Bran’s V.O. mostly worked for me, but his talk to Jon kind of comes out of nowhere in this episode. It would be better positioned right after the “I need to talk to him” conversation he has with Sansa earlier.
-
I definitely did a ton of work on cutting the worst of Euron. I'll check out those lines here.
- I placed Brans VO section with Jon at the end because it leads right into the next episode. I think it would be a good idea to look at moving Sansa and Bran's conversation to right before this rather than at the beginning of the episode. I'm not sure if there is a reason I needed it to be there or not.

E5- Again, I appreciate the effort to redeem Theon, but he gets such a ridiculous beatdown here that his miraculous recovery and triumph doesn’t make much sense. If you want to cut the kneeing to the groin, I think you're going to have to trim his beatdown too because the fight is incredibly one-sided right now, and not in his favor.
There’s no explanation here for why Littlefinger gives the dagger to Bran, and everyone is skeptical about it. A scene earlier could be created where Bran gives a vision/message to Littlefinger saying basically “bring me the dagger”. This can pay off his master plan later… Additionally, Bran’s line “I don’t want it” when he gives the Valerian dagger to Arya should be cut…firstly, it sounds a little emotional (and he’s not supposed to have any now) and secondly, it's better if his only explanation is “What use is it for a cripple?” This can set it up as if he saw in the future that he wouldn’t be able to attack the Night King but he could get him through Arya. Meaning he’s giving this dagger to her knowing it’s a death sentence, but it’s necessary. That's some real GoT s***!
-
I actually wanted to cut this whole section with Theon but it didn't quite work. I'll look into reducing the amount he get's beaten up.
- I'm not sure I can pull off portraying all the dagger stuff you mentioned there, but I can definitely remove that one line. I'll have some thinking about this section.

E6- I realized in retrospect that the ending here was supposed to be Dany getting a vision to go North, but that totally didn’t come across at the time. She’s never had visions, and there was no reaction shot from her, no voice from Bran, so this just seemed like a crosscut showing what was happening elsewhere and not something she saw.
-
So this was supposed to be the Night King sending a vision to Dany to lure her up North. This is also why Dany shows up in E8. If the NK is luring her up to get her dragon it shows that he actually had a plan to make it over the Wall. Any advice on making this more clear would be great!

E7- Here's where I think Bran's VO is a few sentences too long, esp with no reaction shots from Jon. Simply “Jon…Jon, be careful. This storm isn’t natural. He’s hunting you…” would be enough. Clearly, if you can insert reaction shots of Jon suddenly turning to look slightly in one direction or another, that would really help sell it. Generally speaking, all the VO from Bran could use more reaction shot inserts.
-
Definitely had feedback saying to cut back some of his lines here. Lots of people have said they like it as is and lots have said to tone it down. Not sure what the best option is. I'll look into some reaction shots but I think I remember trying to have them in when I first made it and I couldn't make it work without cutting out scenes to reuse for the reaction shots.

E8- Okay, this is the first major issue with the edit. With the restructuring, Dany suddenly showing up to save Jon here doesn’t really make any sense. Gendry runs back to Eastwatch, but there’s no sense that him telling these guys what happened would somehow quickly get back to Dany. Dany has already gone out of her way to help Jon despite not knowing him much at this point in this edit, so it’s not like she’d feel any responsibility to hurry and check on him as soon as she got the Iron Throne. There’s no VO from Bran sending her a message or really any reason or method at all to explain her sudden arrival. It’s also really hard to believe Jon somehow makes it out of a frozen lake and gets that whole way back by himself without running into the whitewalkers or freezing to death. Why cut out BenJen here??

- Touched on the Dany reasoning already. Again, not sure how to make things more clear for this.
- I really hated the deus ex machina moment with Benjen. I know it's a stretch to think he made it all the way back without freezing, but I preferred it over Benjen popping out of nowhere to save him in the last second.

E10- Jon is suddenly riding a dragon!? Okay, this is the 2nd major issue with this edit. I know you had it as a vision that Jon and Dany ride dragons at the end, but the scene where he first learns to ride a dragon really has to happen before this point. That a momentous occasion, as we've never seen anyone else in the show do anything remotely like it (besides Dany) and we can't have Jon just suddenly fighting atop a dragon in a blizzard, whether it's partially controlled by Bran or not. Really have to commend you for making it look like Bran warged into the dragon at points though! Were the black levels improved on this episode?…it looks less murky and easier to make out than I remember.
-
This was a big issue for me as well. I reused the dragon flight for the ending montage. This was one of those plotholes created in my edit I chose to leave in. First, because I wanted to have an episode that was tension before the final battle. This flight and their scene at the waterfall was too casual and lightened the tone and just didn't fit with the rest of the episode. I also wanted to make it feel like they were spending what little time they had preparing for the battle. This romantic flight didn't fit in. Second, my original ending was a lot shorter and I wanted to have more of a breather at the end. I took the restructuring of this part from another editor I worked with and it helped the ending feel less rushed.
All that to say I completely agree that it's a big plothole but I personally think it is better this way.

E11- This episode otoh, is dark as hell and impossible to see in the opening castle scenes. Could levels be adjusted?
I do miss the rise-up in the crypt…it was a clever surprise and gave some of our less-used characters a way to contribute to the fight.
Between the death of the Night King and Jon and Dany back in King’s Landing, I thinking a long, slow fade-to-black and gradual fade-up would communicate a passage of much time (for travel and recovery).
I'd slightly trim how hyped-up Drogon is before melting the throne…a 10 second scream seems a bit much without any triggering emotional event in this edit; 1 or 2 seconds would be fine.
The last major issue is the ending, I think. The flying scene here is obviously Jon’s first time on a dragon due to his reactions and flopping about…it’s really strange given that he was just capably flying one in a blizzard in combat! The long scene really needs to be used earlier, and just a few shots from it can be flipped/clipped and used here. The musical montage endings for everyone are done pretty well, though I think the very final shots don’t really communicate very clearly what’s happening. I know you want it to seem that Jon and Dany are going to go live in the North now, but the Dany footage just doesn’t really register that way to me. I honestly think with the sort of clip show of the characters you use, that an on-screen text plate next to each one describing what they did after would be the way to go. You know, like in American Graffiti, Three Kings, The Commitments, and so on. This would be the perfect workaround to more clearly communicate what happened after, maybe even get a bit creative. It’s also a way to follow up on characters you don’t have the appropriate footage for, like Bronn, Bran, Yara, Podrick, etc.
-
Very weird that this episode is dark for you. I did some adjustments to both E10 and E11, but they were the same adjustments across the whole thing.
- I personally disliked that they went to the crypts and then the dead broke out of the stone coffins. They already knew the NK could raise the dead. I feel like they only would have sent them down to the crypts if they knew the dead couldn't break out.
- I'll look into the transition and trimming the Drogon blast. I think those will work nicely.
- I've thought about doing text on screen for wrapping up the show but I felt it was getting too far into "fan fiction" territory. I had seen another edit a few years ago try that and I didn't think it worked very well. That's just my opinion though. Not sure what others might think.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm not going to be getting to this stuff right away, I'm trying to take a break from GOT for a bit and get a clear head. I really appreciate all of this and will post on here again when I start working on it again!

Thanks,
AC

Back
Top Bottom