• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

fanediting my house. . .

DMF, i'z gonna add a john williams soundtrack to that japanese mubi. it'll be fucking epic. :D

thoughts about coco coir versus soil:
i like coir as an initial rooting medium, but it makes sense that soil would be better for growth, as it has more nutrients. coir contains pretty much zero nutrients.

my blackberries have yet to produce any fruit. that's OK — i started growing them relatively late in the year.

topped my first pepper plant. i didn't feel any anxiety over the surgery, as all those youtube videos gave me nerves of steel. :cool:
plus, the plant cooperated without any kicking or screaming.

ordered a cascade gold raspberry plant. this cultivar is considered to be supertasty and relatively hardy.

38433.jpg

here's my first successful rooting of a thai pepper stem cutting, taken from a plant that had germinated about five weeks before topping. i situated the topped portion in coco coir and used no rooting hormones. the cutting and the coir were placed in a plastic cup with the lid on to maintain humidity, though i removed the lid almost daily to let in fresh air.

home-design.jpg

after roots poked through the coir, i placed the cutting in miracle gro potting mix. within weeks, the clone's stem already appeared thick and sturdy.

home-design.jpg

i'm going to experiment further by trying to make a clone of this clone, and next year, i'll compare the pepper production of the parent, the clone, and the clone of the clone.

This is a much more interesting story about the Clone Wars than Lucas came up with.

I remember taking horticulture in community college years ago. I did some cactus cloning and then left the class without checking on the plant. I came back years later and apparently one of the teachers had it in their class and it was pretty big.

^^ the clone wars were probably started due to clone dating frustration. all that misdirected testosterone. . . .

^ CactModiFicaTion

my ultimate goal: the seventh clone of a seventh clone.

maiden1.jpg

from the blackberry chronicles: successful propagation from a stem cutting. used coco coir; didn't use rooting hormones. after a root poked through the coir, i transplanted the cutting into E. B. Stone acidic soil. go, baby leaves, go.

home-design.jpg

see whether you can identify the original set of leaves through the series.

home-design.jpg

cascade gold raspberry. the flavor is supposed to be incredible, but i probably won't find out until 2019, as fruit grows only on second-year canes.

home-design.jpg

"Arrived in the mail"

YOU CAN GET LIVING POTTED PLANTS POSTED? :O

yerp—it's a thing. gotten quite a few this way, and they were all viable.

ssj said:

follow-up raz pikchaz. this thing grows like a beast.
in udder news, a mourning dove has taken up residence in a tree right next to my deck. (thanks to @"ThrowgnCpr" for helping me to identify these creatures.) it's gotten so used to me that i can come within two or three feet of it, and it won't fly away. lol, i'm fucking one with nature.

home-design.jpg

home-design.jpg

ThrowgnCpr said:
LOL'd at The Suckering

was channeling my inner parks & recreation, throw.
btw, those mourning doves are cute but pretty dumb, as you described. they sometimes lay their eggs in suboptimal spots.

Rogue-theX said:

why, shenkyu, señor! i'm inspired by your DIY spirit.

i've had four serrano failures this year. all four seeds germinated. one died of helmet head complications (lesson learned re: planting the seed deep enough for soil-seed friction). another was planted a bit too deeply and its stem never gained height; for almost two months, the true leaves are stunted and sitting atop the soil.

two others grew to four inches and then got dry-looking; even the baby leaves at the nodes dried up, and i don't think it was due to insufficient watering. was the failure due to worm castings that upped the nitrogen level beyond healthy levels? next time i try to start serranos from seed, i'll follow some sage advice: use low-nutrient potting mix; fertilizer should be used at a later stage.

in the meantime, i'm growing another serrano obtained from a large garden retailer. no shame in getting professional help.

home-design.jpg

here are three of my serrano failures. (the fourth suffered helmet head and was inadvertently decapitated during the attempted remedy; its picture will not be shown here, due to the graphic nature of the outcome.)

they're all about the same age, yet the one in the middle has lived a stunted life. the internodal distance on its stem is about. . . zero.

the flanking seedlings looked great until they didn't. now they're hunched over. the baby leaves at the nodes should be green and tender, but they're dark, small, and brittle.

i'm still going to try raising serranos from seed this year, just to prove to myself that i can. when done, i'll have plants i can give away to family and friends.

my monster raspberry. the container keeps it from overtaking the planet.

home-design.jpg

Picked up a few herbs today:
French Tarragon
Thyme
something called Hot & Spicy Oregano
I plan on making a protective wood frame with a screen to attach to the herb planters to keep the squirrels away.

I didn't think the mini yellow rose plant in the garden would come up because I forgot to cover it for the winter, but its growing leaves, there is also a fern and a couple bulbs and some other stuff in the garden too.

prime ark freedom—this is one chubby-assed berry. it tastes sweeter than store-bought blackberries, probably because the commercially distributed berries are picked early to prevent spoilage, which means they also have higher acidity and tartness; those last few days of ripening are supposed to add quite a bit of sugar and antioxidants.

b1iNORSl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom