• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

fanediting my house. . .

At the risk of alarming CDC employees,
my best growing plants are the Castors.
The tallest are already 7 feet (from seed in April).
They should hit 15 - 20 by frost.
Don't really recommend these particularly deadly plants, though.

my prime ark freedom blackberry plant. hoping for a few delicious berries this fall.

also in the planter: bark mulch and glow-in-the-dark stones, for that "sorcerous garden" vibe.

36d7cAXb7aciR-RuhrK4Cm_4fiAfEv3wWrj4tUC6ujHpQLpVt2hoiagC1nMevdOt5CRk7u663Jtn5wG-yutr7KS0TzlCTiMK4wZSRNAJ7VsNWEOWPAf_TpcYMijeUWkXAbODiC-zKuHfncduGLXk_Vtaau_9ut-PQh7C59MpmOilJVNLvToNYZnCKAz-IEH1xI2i3_U2jIdNWqr34qUDoQ-36T2yR-TIY2YC3x0_zU60Y21c8ilgzDQW86l9llsupIizx4gdBOhG_4WXPOjGc0cVlByRdYooNC_0J-Ulv75L67-ohFEqtp_cvJtsnzCQhSI6GyZDe0b8EpwdGjWF3jKsDtzInNTmCgjT7ypPlymzY_gBe_tMQB6PJlZF9FjXA_AMV_jEkKCowGpQYeK1DqrZBydIvoNqevn8u4a5U4-hvtLaFWzaBR8P7Ph9RJvDCxsMpxabfzLpP2fUKqaS5mhpg1y7MmsvhDgnh9vkMrbFKl45PWJizsEu7ZB9qIi_X1XwFkjAiExIAMUA109vhYAn6yaPXo4ezkadZ-MyR0wX-6ZmkwjLPQaivGynod2F7SwPObUhgHfyNKIIGV4bAEczsutctCwZlv7hvaV8Sr-UVsFIU_FZNR7r=w1602-h2498-no

^ Stop watering it with Claude Raines' potion! ;)

a google photos issue. anybody else able to see it?

will revisit that image hosting thread for ideas re: a better platform.

ssj said:
a google photos issue. anybody else able to see it?

No luck here, either.
Windows - Linux, both failed.

let's give the forum's image hoover a try.

9Mc45vJm.jpg

I was out "fanediting" our home the other day and looked over through our neighbors broken fence to see that they have a rather large potted plant.

haha, dudes.

what's neat about the blackberry plants is that i can see day-to-day changes. the little leaves unfurling, some light green, some darker green, some kind of purplish. it's astonishing how quickly they're making progress.

man_eating_plant_by_d_mac.jpg

for the blackberry cuttings i received by mail, i transplanted them temporarily to cups, two of them plastic and two of them dixie cups, all with holes in the bottom for drainage. all the plants are growing, but the dixie cups developed mold at the drainage areas, probably due to the exposed paper. FTC — fuck those cups.

My Rubus patch was neglected this year. Between my inattention, the birds (I didn't get a net on it this year), and my foraging nieces, I didn't get to enjoy too many berries. I need to do some heavy pruning in areas too

dzC9Ku5m.jpg

whoa. that's some impressive growth, thr. . . thgrow.

when's the ideal time to throw a net over the bramble? when the blackberries are green? red? black and ripe? in other words, do the birds ignore unripened fruit?

lastly, i know birds like this fruit, but as far as we can tell, can they taste sweetness the way humans can?

You don't need to put the net over the bramble until the berries form and you can even wait until they start to color. The birds won't eat them until they are ripe. They're excellent judges of ripeness, and usually wait until they are ready. Most birds (definitely those that eat berries) have extremely poor senses of taste and smell. They use visual cues to determine when fruit is ready. Waiting until it is ripe maximizes nutrient and energy intake.

The netting is fairly rigid plastic stuff. That helps to avoid birds getting stuck in it. When my patch was a little younger, I tried to elevate the netting off of the top of the patch by using the conduit poles (pictured above). That's kind of a lost cause now... Too much growth!

coolio, growin' thopper. thanks for the advice as well as the ornithology lesson. :)

in udder news, I've harvested 46 peppers from my serrano plant. quite a few more are growing.

and the thai plant is showing hints of ripening — most of the peppers are still green, but a few peppers have hints of orange coloration. I anticipate later this month, they'll be bright christmas red and capable of transforming me into a fire-breathing Samuel L. Dragon.

oh wow, a gardening thread.  i wouldn't have guessed that from the thread title.
i was expecting talk about home improvement / remodeling projects.
but anyway . . . i love gardening; pretty much just vegetables.  (this will be a long post because i'm playing catch-up.)
i got into it from living with my aunt & uncle for three summers a long while back.  my uncle loved it and said to me, i like the idea that i can get so much from so little.  it kinda stuck with me.

for the last few years i've had a variety of peppers and tomatoes and each year play with something else; beans, cucumbers, onions, cilantro, watermelon, eggplant, zucchini, strawberries, and grapes.  each with their own successes and failures.
last couple years i haven't been able to work one though.  last year we were selling our house and didn't have the time to put into it nor did we need the yard clutter.  and this year, moving into a different house, getting settled in we don't have the time again.

i loved experimenting with different ways to water them.  we watered it by hand at first, standing there spraying with a hose got old quickly.
so the next year we bought a couple sprinklers, which was well and good, but you have to remember to turn on the water.
the solution the next year was buying a timer to hook to the outside faucet.  it worked incredibly well.  but i ended up unhappy with how much i was also watering my lawn with the sprinkler.
the next year i put together my own irrigation pipes.  no more spraying water all over the place and each plant got it's own drinking fountain.
i was getting ready to set up a rain barrel when we decided to move.

years ago, a house my wife and i rented for a couple years we had a small garden with just tomatoes and peppers and i decided to experiment with vermiculture for fertile soil and worm-tea.  i even got my own little setup with three totes and a prolific worm community going until we decided to buy our own place.

as far as insect and rodent control, we didn't really have an issue with it.  we lived in the middle of town and didn't see much in the way of rodents.  i noticed some half eaten cherry tomatoes once in a while but it wasn't ever enough for me to put a stop to it.  once in a while i'd catch a moment of the little ground-squirrel eating a tomato, it was cute.  plus, we have three small dogs.  maybe there was enough dog pee & poop in the yard to steer rodents away.  not a big problem with bugs either.

@"DigModiFicaTion" , next time you're in iowa, look me up.  we can swap fanedit and gardening stories.

pruning canes that have yet to fruit is still mysterious to me—not the concept, which is to encourage lateral growth and thus increase fruit yield—but the optimal height for topping an erect blackberry. some say you remove the top growth to leave a cane about 20" high. others say to cut the cane back to 36", or 40", or 46". this video recommends not letting canes exceed 5', or 60".

but this is one of the few vids that demonstrate lateral pruning, so I'll park it here.

gotta eventually protect my blackberry crop. evolution of my thinking on pest control:

at first, i thought i'd need to go full-on medieval toward squirrels via a tube trap. but this idea scared my kids; plus, it doesn't do much about the bird problem.
wcstt.jpg

then i thought animal decoys would inspire fear and terror in prospective filthy thieves, both avian and rodent. anecdotally useful, but apparently overall not super-effective in protecting the preciousss.
5127MsqVKqL._SY355_.jpg

71oBaamR4jL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

i thought i might purchase a fruit cage, but the products out there had dimensions that didn't work for my garden.
61RhYOXJYGL._SX355_.jpg

my attention then turned toward building an unsightly PVC cage with netting. the adult legos aspect kind of inspired me, but the practicality of creating some kind of doorway in the netting seemed like a major hassle. plus, i didn't want to invest a whole lot of time building this.
hqdefault.jpg

and now, i'm thinking of putting a net around each planter. these babies have a vertical zipper for access and a rope at the base to secure the netting. in terms of efficacy, cost, aesthetics, and time needed for set-up, it seems to be the best solution i've encountered so far. 
s-l225.jpg

ThrowgnCpr said:
The birds. . . . They're excellent judges of ripeness

49b2e33f3872d896038687e4912b8b2c.jpg

sharing some pepper pruning/editing videos here. the follow-up section on the first video is amazing.

some lessons learned from a half-year of serious gardening:

blackberries can root reasonably well in coco coir, which retains moisture like a goddamned rain forest but also allows air to reach the stem and new roots. i placed the cutting + coir in a plastic cup sealed to maintain humidity, though i opened it daily to let in fresh CO2. it took about a month for roots to start poking through the coir's cloth sac.

peppers
• heat is the magic ingredient for successful germination. it’s possible for a seed to pop in cool temperatures, but then a lone seedling it’ll be.
• i don't need no stinkin' heat mat. the DVR is going to put out heat anyway; might as well harness it.
• use mature pods and seeds for germination efforts. in my eagerness to get my germination on, i found the younger seeds less likely to pop.
• the moist-paper-towel-in-a-plastic-bag-atop-DVR method seems to be superior to coir for germination. the paper towel method leads to faster root emergence and uses less space, fewer resources.
• seedlings growing in soil (well, Miracle Gro Potting Mix, which is close enough) immediately seem to do better than seedlings in coir: considerably faster growth, greener coloration, relatively expedited shedding of the seed casing.

last year i couldn't keep even one pepper seedling alive; it died at about an inch of height. this year i've got 16 baby plants, all of which show promise and most of which i'll give away as gifts to friends and family.
IEx2AQVl.jpg

I'm still waiting to see the cut list for your My House edit.

MV5BYmExNWFkNTctMjAzYy00ZTA0LWE3YTItOGU3OTIyNjA0MzFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY2MDk0MTk@._V1_.jpg

It's soooo off topic in here  :p

Back
Top Bottom