• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fanedit or fan edit? (ALSO: Gif or Jif)

Which styling do you prefer?

• Total voters
iv'e noticed that if you type fanedit into any search you get mostly movie related edits but if you type fan edit  you get mostly music related edited videos

gazza said:
iv'e noticed that if you type fanedit into any search you get mostly movie related edits but if you type fan edit  you get mostly music related edited videos

This is enough reason to change my opinion.

The pronunciation "Giff" instead of "Jiff" sounds like half a word to me. However the actual word jif is the comparison that comes to mind, as gif files are small and as a result can be downloaded and viewed quickly, in a jif. For me, the "Jiff" pronunciation is the logical choice. If it takes less brain power to remember, it's gonna win every time. Extra validation that doesn't matter and nobody cares about: the creator of gifs pronounced it my way too. 

Is my reasoning dumb? Maybe. But am I trying to change anyone's mind? Hell no. Say what you want, how you want. Due to the nature of our relationship, I'm literally never going to hear anyone here say it out loud.

addie, I just sent you a PM of me saying "GIF" aloud.

3c362dba0e3583ca062da6c5462cdee8.jpg

I say gif, with a hard "G". 

Kinda like this: "GIF". It's got a "Ga" sort of sound, as in how you might pronounce @"Gaith" , unless that's pronounced "Jaith", in which case I don't know what's what anymore.

Anyway, I don't care what's correct. I say GIF, and will always say "GIF", even if it can be downloaded in a "Jiff", to me it's a GIF and as @"addiesin" so rightly pointed out, no one here is gonna hear you say it out loud (unless we all follow @"ssj" 's example and start PMing audio clips to each other).

Anyway, here's a GIF:

ujsCvXm.gif

Edit: Also, just gonna throw this out there... Maybe it's a silent "G"?

The Scribbling Man said:
Edit: Also, just gonna throw this out there... Maybe it's a silent "G"?

So is it an if?
If an if it is, I don't know how to feel of it.

A compelling argument for (j)if!

Sinbad said:

A compelling argument for (j)if!

I guess his schtick is that he's an asshole? Innovative! The first time I saw a .gif file, I pronounced it like "GIFT" but without the "T". And until about a year ago I had never heard anyone say it differently. I work in web development, so I do hear the word a lot. Maybe it's just us kooky Canadians.

The creator pronounces it "JIF", which is a legitimate argument.

It's an acronym in which the first word is "Graphical", I.E. a hard "G", which is a legitimate argument. 

Conclusion? Both are legitimate pronunciations and it's purely preferential which one you use.

Edit: Also, in defense of the hard "G" argument, if you Google "GIF definition" then it immediately comes up with this:

Screenshot_2018_01_18_16_57_31_187.jpg

The pronunciation shown there is for a hard "G" and if you click the audio, then you will hear a voice pronounce it that way very clearly.

LESS GIF JIF MORE FANEDIT FAN EDIT

Just kidding I don't actually care.

Thread title and poll updated. :p

Of all the things to be passionate about.

The Scribbling Man said:
The creator pronounces it "JIF", which is a legitimate argument.

It's an acronym in which the first word is "Graphical", I.E. a hard "G", which is a legitimate argument. 

Conclusion? Both are legitimate pronunciations and it's purely preferential which one you use.

Edit: Also, in defense of the hard "G" argument, if you Google "GIF definition" then it immediately comes up with this:

Screenshot_2018_01_18_16_57_31_187.jpg

The pronunciation shown there is for a hard "G" and if you click the audio, then you will hear a voice pronounce it that way very clearly.

I hate to disagree, but your image there shows two pronunciations: one with hard 'g,' one with the 'j' sound. Even Google supports both pronunciations, I'm afraid.

I would like anyone to show me *any* word in the English language that starts with "GIF" and is pronounced with a soft G.

Gif's inventor says ignore dictionaries and say 'Jif'

The creator of the Gif graphics format has said that his invention should be pronounced so it starts with a "j" rather than with a hard "g".
quotes taken from [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22620473 [/font](full post in link)
[font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22620473[/font]

Proven
Prooven as in Groove or Proven as in Grove.  Prooven surely!!

gazza said:
Gif's inventor says ignore dictionaries and say 'Jif'

The creator of the Gif graphics format has said that his invention should be pronounced so it starts with a "j" rather than with a hard "g".
quotes taken from [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22620473 [/font](full post in link)
[font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22620473[/font]

George Lucas created Star Wars... he's still wrong about Jar-Jar.

Back
Top Bottom