• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Fanedit or fan edit? (ALSO: Gif or Jif)

Which styling do you prefer?

• Total voters

Problem Eliminator

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's your take on the term? Should it be written fanedit or fan edit? faneditor or fan editor? etc.

I've seen both used on this site. Personally, I've always used fanedit in the disclaimers and credits I include in my edits. I'm undecided which one I like better, but for the sake of consistency I will probably just keep using the compound word version.

It doesn't matter. One is our branding, the other is adjective+noun/verb.

one is easier to google.

I say jiff and I don't care who knows.

farmedit.org
24878004338_b60a34dc10.jpg

and pharmedit.org

Fan-edit...?

F'nedit? 

FANEDIT? 

Edit-of-the-fan-variety? 

Or, in the case of Star Wars:

Jedit?

I vote "fan edit". We don't call airplane cuts "planedits" or TV cuts "tvedits", so why say/write "fanedit"?

addiesin said:
I say jiff and I don't care who knows.

8tpMrfz.gif

Plissken1138 said:
NegaScott128 said:
I believe it's pronounced "Jif."

sometimes I feel so sorry for all those jraphics designers...  :p

Theodore J. Girrafics was the most famousest of all the jraphic designers. Although he seemed to be stuck in his brown and tan period for a long time.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Theodore J. Girrafics was the most famousest of all the jraphic designers. Although he seemed to be stuck in his brown and tan period for a long time.

Isn't it pronounced "Jurassic"? 

I love me some good Jurassic Design:

jurassic_park.png

Gaith said:
I vote "fan edit". We don't call airplane cuts "planedits" or TV cuts "tvedits", so why say/write "fanedit"?

Because @"reave" has to pay per word.

TMBTM said:
So maybe it's a hard G... because there's a F after the i..., like in "gift" English is strange.

The primary reason it should have a hard "G" is because it is actually an acronym. Graphic Interchange Format. And the "G" in the word that is represented is a hard "G".

As far as Fan Editing goes... I think I've made my point.

Conrad MacIntyre said:
As far as Fan Editing goes... I think I've made my point.

Fan Edit would be the least logical. The capitalization would suggest branding. We've used "Fanedit" as the brand here, for many of the reasons posed so far, especially when running a google search. FanEdit would be an acceptable stylization, but there should be no space.

That said, I think both "fan edit" and "Fanedit" are acceptable. One is a thing or the act of creating a thing, while the other is this community. Honestly, I use them both, specifically for that reason. 

example usage in a sentence:

Visit the Fanedit community to learn about various types of fan edits.

Bro, do you Even iOS? Random capitalization is All the rage! Machine learning For the Win!

This is an important question, but not nearly as important as "Colonel or Colonial?"

Conrad MacIntyre said:
Bro, do you Even iOS? Random capitalization is All the rage! Machine learning For the Win!

Android is just as bad.

Back
Top Bottom