• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Driver - A fanedit of Drive (2011) - HD update now available

Zagadka said:
I recommend you to go throughout this thread about the inactive fanedit of Drive. The idea was to rescore the movie with Radiohead music. Maybe you will find some inspiration or "borrow" some ideas:

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=16472&highlight=drive

Thank you but I have no intention in rescoring the film. The aim of my project is solely to develop the character of Driver via the inclusion of dream sequences.

Update:

At @"Last Impressions" suggestion I have amended my title 'Malthus Fanedits' card so it features the MISTRAL for consistency and I have added Damien Chazelle to the credits along with Emma stone. Doing this required me to learn how to mask footage so I decided to use this new found skill to alter the movie's title card too.

Thanks to @"TM2YC" help sourcing some footage I have also added a film burn to the end of the second dream sequence. I'm currently debating whether or not to add some projector noise in the background of the sequence. Once I've made up my mind I will encode the second draft.

Still trying to finalise the poster for this and I'm rather tempted to create box art since I've not done that before.

Malthus said:
Update:

At @"Last Impressions" suggestion I have amended my title 'Malthus Fanedits' card so it features the MISTRAL for consistency and I have added Damien Chazelle to the credits along with Emma stone. Doing this required me to learn how to mask footage so I decided to use this new found skill to alter the movie's title card too.

Thanks to @"TM2YC" help sourcing some footage I have also added a film burn to the end of the second dream sequence. I'm currently debating whether or not to add some projector noise in the background of the sequence. Once I've made up my mind I will encode the second draft.

Still trying to finalise the poster for this and I'm rather tempted to create box art since I've not done that before.

Cool - i'm going to try and give Drive a re-watch this weekend. It's been a while. Out of curiosity what did you mask out? Was it the old titles

That teal  shining through the car window just beg's for a Seb's neon sign  :)

Last Impressions said:
Out of curiosity what did you mask out? Was it the old titles

That teal  shining through the car window just beg's for a Seb's neon sign  :)

Yeah I overlayed an image to mask the old Drive titles. I've not found somewhere to place the since yet but I'll take another look.

That last Vimeo clip is looking very pixelated but Vimeo is usually very good (compression wise), so is there a problem with your settings? e.g. like the line on the left, not like the smooth line on the right:

H05FvqJ.png

TM2YC said:
That last Vimeo clip is looking very pixelated but Vimeo is usually very good (compression wise), so is there a problem with your settings?

Ah good spot. That is a technical issue with Lightworks 14.5. You are required to log back in once a week and when you do it resets some settings. For some reason it only seems to affect files that you imported manually by dragging and dropping. Annoyingly this is sometimes necessary as the programme itself can fail to locate specific files when you try to import them through the normal process. Its a simple one click solution. I'd totally forgot that I had logged in this morning so I had not reset the setting. I've attached an image for comparison. So far it is the only glitch I have identified with 14.5.

sSF9fgu.png

Now that's a nice clean looking poster.

@"Malthus" 
Very nice poster.

I listened to your intro clip posted here, with Nightcall playing, and then listened to the same part of the film from a BR rip, and I'm about 90% sure that your version is sped up/higher pitched. I also compared to Kavinsky's original song through iTunes and again, I can hear a pitch difference. I suspect your playback speed is slightly higher than x1. Or maybe vimeo has altered the audio. I also noticed this throughout the draft you sent, in particular Shannon's voice sounded higher pitched, at least early on.

Heavysyde said:
@"Malthus" 
Very nice poster.

I listened to your intro clip posted here, with Nightcall playing, and then listened to the same part of the film from a BR rip, and I'm about 90% sure that your version is sped up/higher pitched. I also compared to Kavinsky's original song through iTunes and again, I can hear a pitch difference. I suspect your playback speed is slightly higher than x1. Or maybe vimeo has altered the audio. I also noticed this throughout the draft you sent, in particular Shannon's voice sounded higher pitched, at least early on.

Thanks, I decided less is more for the poster.

Re: Sound. I have compared both the .ac3 file and the mono .wavs with the .MKV rip and the original DVD I am using, they all sound identical. I cross checked it with my partner and she agrees there is no difference in the audio. All I can suggest is that your BR might have remastered sound? I certainly didn't change any settings, all I did was rip, demux, import and encode.

Malthus said:

Re: Sound. I have compared both the .ac3 file and the mono .wavs with the .MKV rip and the original DVD I am using, they all sound identical. I cross checked it with my partner and she agrees there is no difference in the audio. All I can suggest is that your BR might have remastered sound? I certainly didn't change any settings, all I did was rip, demux, import and encode.

The remastered sound could be the reason, not sure what else it could be. Btw did you try comparing to:
?

Heavysyde said:
Malthus said:

The remastered sound could be the reason, not sure what else it could be. Btw did you try comparing to:
?

I compared it to the DVD itself which is the source I'm using.

Malthus said:

I compared it to the DVD itself which is the source I'm using.

Ahh ok, it's probably just a Blu-ray/DVD difference then. I only noticed a difference because I have Nightcall on iTunes and have been listening to it for several years, it's no real problem.

Heavysyde said:
Ahh ok, it's probably just a Blu-ray/DVD difference then. I only noticed a difference because I have Nightcall on iTunes and have been listening to it for several years, it's no real problem.

Differences like that are not uncommon. For example Pal DVDs are 25fps whereas American TV shows are shot in 23.976 fps. Sometimes when discs are mastered for the UK, the studio will simply speed up playback to match the 25fps data rate.

Ultimately I'm mixing footage from two PAL DVDs together. If I was working with just Drive I'd simply change the fps of to 23.976. However I can't mix the frame rates in the project and I don't wish to alter the La la land frame rate as I'm using 4 musical tracks so I'd be switching one pitch change with another.

As you say it isn't an issue especially since it sounds the way the film has always sounded to me.

Malthus said:
Difference like that are not uncommon. For example Pal DVDs are 25fps whereas American TV shows are shot in 23.976 fps. Sometimes when discs are mastered for the UK, the studio will simply speed up playback to match the 25fps data rate.

Ultimately I'm mixing footage from two PAL DVDs together. If I was working with just Drive I'd simply change the fps of to 23.976. However I can't mix the frame rates in the project and I don't wish to alter the La la land frame rate as I'm using 4 musical tracks so I'd be switching one pitch change with another.

As you say it isn't issue especially since it sounds the way the film has always sounded to me.

I have heard about this issue with DVDs being sped up, now I think about it it's happened to a few of my DVDs of American films/tv shows (I'm also from the UK), that must be why it sounds slightly sped up/higher pitched. Anyway, I'll stop bothering you over this, like I said, it's no real issue, and it's most likely unnoticeable by 99% of people.

I'll be encoding the second draft today.

Changes from the first draft:

1. Added Netflix style fanedit.org sequence
2. Altered Malthus fan edits card to use MISTRAL font
​​​​​3. Updated opening credits:
  • Added Damien Chazelle
  • Added Emma Stone
  • Masked and replaced title
4. Added film burn at the end of second dream sequence

Feedback would be very welcome.

Re: Art - The latest poster has proved popular so I'll be sticking with that for this project. I will now attempt to make box art using that as a base.

Would anyone be willing to give this a view before I submit this please.

I did a test screening at my friends this weekend and aside from one minor issue this is ready. I will be encoding the final version of this edit this week and submitting it to the database. Thanks to those of you who helped me with this.

Edit released, thread moved.  Congrats.

Big thank you to @"Dawnrazor" for the review, glad you enjoyed the edit. I'll to wait and see what others feel about it before I decide if I'll do a HD version.

Back
Top Bottom