• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) Nominations for 2020 are now open! Submit your entries here.

DaVinci Resolve free edition.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone here tried the free edition of DaVinci Resolve? Resolve used to be mostly just a color grading program (and is allegedly the best color grading program available), but it has become an all-in-one non-linear video editor, color grading program, and audio editor. I have it installed, but haven't had a chance to really check it out. It seems very powerful, though.

The free edition has a few limitations (no support for 3D or resolutions over 4K, no noise reduction, no built-in film grain, lens flare, or blur plugins, and a few others) compared to the paid version, but they are not so severe as to make it a bad option. Some of those limitations can be remedied anyway (such as film grain, which can be manually applied using film stock scans and the overlay function). Overall, it seems like possibly the best free video editor, and maybe even as good as some paid options.

Does anyone here have any experience with or opinions about it?

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

dustymetal01

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the beginning it's a bit confusing, especially when exporting a video. Then again, it's great at the same time, but exporting is the biggest problem. Color grading is great. I used the color grading system to color grade Jurassic World. Sometime's it is like the planets have to align in order to export something, but when it does it's great. Whenever a bug pops up, there's youtube for that. DaVinci is definitely the best free program out there definitely. PM me with any questions

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Does anyone here have any experience with or opinions about it?

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

I found this video very interesting, as I too have been searching for a new editing software as I prepare to switch from MAC to PC in the new year.   The price is right.   And everything is built-in like the old Final Cut Suite unlike Adobe.   Plus FREE trial version.  And no subscription fee!!!!!  

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t54ZX7_Ygd8[/video]

DigModiFicaTion

MoDeraTificaTor
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good video that demystifies DaVinci Resolve. The new features in 16 look nice. I installed this last year, but just couldn't figure out the interface. If the audio editing capabilities are good for 5.1 mixes I may just see if DaVinci can replace Vegas Pro for me. Anyway, the video is a good straightforward guide to basic functions.

DaVinci Resolve 16 Beta is now available. Looks like some of the new features make navigating the editing process a little easier.

Top Bottom