• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DaVinci Resolve free edition.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone here tried the free edition of DaVinci Resolve? Resolve used to be mostly just a color grading program (and is allegedly the best color grading program available), but it has become an all-in-one non-linear video editor, color grading program, and audio editor. I have it installed, but haven't had a chance to really check it out. It seems very powerful, though.

The free edition has a few limitations (no support for 3D or resolutions over 4K, no noise reduction, no built-in film grain, lens flare, or blur plugins, and a few others) compared to the paid version, but they are not so severe as to make it a bad option. Some of those limitations can be remedied anyway (such as film grain, which can be manually applied using film stock scans and the overlay function). Overall, it seems like possibly the best free video editor, and maybe even as good as some paid options.

Does anyone here have any experience with or opinions about it?

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

dustymetal01

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the beginning it's a bit confusing, especially when exporting a video. Then again, it's great at the same time, but exporting is the biggest problem. Color grading is great. I used the color grading system to color grade Jurassic World. Sometime's it is like the planets have to align in order to export something, but when it does it's great. Whenever a bug pops up, there's youtube for that. DaVinci is definitely the best free program out there definitely. PM me with any questions

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Does anyone here have any experience with or opinions about it?

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 14

I found this video very interesting, as I too have been searching for a new editing software as I prepare to switch from MAC to PC in the new year.   The price is right.   And everything is built-in like the old Final Cut Suite unlike Adobe.   Plus FREE trial version.  And no subscription fee!!!!!  

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t54ZX7_Ygd8[/video]

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good video that demystifies DaVinci Resolve. The new features in 16 look nice. I installed this last year, but just couldn't figure out the interface. If the audio editing capabilities are good for 5.1 mixes I may just see if DaVinci can replace Vegas Pro for me. Anyway, the video is a good straightforward guide to basic functions.

DaVinci Resolve 16 Beta is now available. Looks like some of the new features make navigating the editing process a little easier.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know if it's the weather or that last random crash in Vegas Pro, but I'm currently downloading Davnici Resolve 17. We'll see if I can figure it out and replace the great and buggy Vegas Pro...

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been using Davinci Resolve 16 for almost a year now. I'm a caveman that practically needs a road map to find the power button on my PC yet somehow, I managed to make a bunch of edits with Davinci. The issue I have is it crashes too much. I probably should have started with an easier program but once I started making my edits I couldn't stop (LOL, it's addicting).

I'd be really curious to see what more experienced editors think of Davinci Resolve. Seems like hardly anyone in the fan edit community uses it. I've still got a ton to learn about Davinci. Almost all of my time over the past year has been devoted to getting seamless transitions so I really haven't had a chance to dig into the more advanced parts of the program, so I'd love to hear what other people think.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried it out but found it didn't work well on my system. Super slow and laggy. I probably need to upgrade though.

robulon

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you end up losing work from these crashes @PanteraSteel make sure you've got Live Save enabled.

Preferences > User > Project Save and Load > Save Settings

With this turned on, Resolve will constantly update the Project save file in the background after every action you take. So if there is a unexpected crash hopefully you'll have all your progress saved for when you reopen the project.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Resolve is probably the most innovative NLE and somewhat buggy. Even more so on ver 17. I thought Premiere was buggy until I used Resolve. Premiere is stable by comparison…a stable limited solid program that does what it’s supposed to. Still I use Resolve. The ability to quickly shape crossfades alone makes it perfect for fanedits.

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you end up losing work from these crashes @PanteraSteel make sure you've got Live Save enabled.

Preferences > User > Project Save and Load > Save Settings

With this turned on, Resolve will constantly update the Project save file in the background after every action you take. So if there is a unexpected crash hopefully you'll have all your progress saved for when you reopen the project.
thank you for the tip.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The learning curve is high on Resolve. When I used it for the first time I found it a little more difficult than Premiere. The easiest was iMovie followed by FCP. Nothing wrong with using iMovie but it is limited to stereo, which limits the creativity of the edit.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The learning curve is high on Resolve. When I used it for the first time I found it a little more difficult than Premiere. The easiest was iMovie followed by FCP. Nothing wrong with using iMovie but it is limited to stereo, which limits the creativity of the edit.
I have a Windows computer, lol.

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I heard it's a steep learning curve. But a free NLE is a free NLE.
thats true. I'm still a total rookie. I've spent 99% of my time doing very simple things (adding deleted scenes) on Resolve. I figure in the long haul when I'm ready to learn more at least I already have a basic understanding of Resolve.

Unseen61

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm never heard of this DaVinci , used a lot of avidemux and Losslesscut for simple-quick cuts .

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just tried it today for a first time but I feel like it is quite inaccessible / unintuitive.

I am probably too accustomed to Vegas, but on the other hand I remember that when I first tried Vegas after using Womble for several years there was no problem at all.

Top Bottom