• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Converting Itunes Video to [fill in the blank]

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't downloaded it yet, because I'm not sure it will work...but there is an itunes video I'd like to buy and convert to lagarith avi and wav audio to insert into vegas. Does anyone know how to do this?

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Can't believe I just spent $1.99 on this awful music video just for a 10-second joke in my edit. :oops:

Anyway, I'm a little confused on where to go from here. I used that DRMBuster program to convert to avi, but it's an avi that has both a video and audio component...there doesn't seem to be a way to use the program to get separate audio and video files. I also thought about following Boon's Vegas guide

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?2493-Boon-s-guide-to-fanediting-with-Sony-Vegas

But that is for m2v and the video from Itunes is m4v....

Help?

Try opening the video in Audacity if you have that. If you can you should be able to save the audio as a WAV. Another option is Quicktime Player. You can save as a Quicktime Movie, but then choose audio only.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

thunderclap said:
Try opening the video in Audacity if you have that. If you can you should be able to save the audio as a WAV. Another option is Quicktime Player. You can save as a Quicktime Movie, but then choose audio only.
Bust :(

Audacity crashes every time I try to open the m2v, and Quicktime wants me to buy PRO in order to save as.

If that program turns it into an avi, you should be golden. Just drag it into virtual dub. Save as lagarith avi. You can just pass the audio through into the new avi or not. Up to you. If you want to demux the audio, use a demuxer like TSmuxer.

i always just copy the video to ipod, hooke it up to my tv and record it to dvd, then rip to HD and convert to whatever format

is there any way to get a rental video or purchased ituners video onto dvd, or at least where you can use iit
without DRM

Threads merged. Please read this thread first. Also, you must use purchased sources only. No rentals.

jswert123456 said:
i always just copy the video to ipod, hooke it up to my tv and record it to dvd, then rip to HD and convert to whatever format

So this quote from you didn't answer your own question?

Q2 said:
So this quote from you didn't answer your own question?

thunderclapped.jpg

Joking aside... jswert, read through the previous entries on this thread. Starting here, GeminiGod gives good advice to Frink when he had problems earler.

If you're still having problems try AVIDemux which will allow you to save the audio.

well i no longer have a ipod , so i cant do that method anymore

While I much prefer to be the one getting in trouble rather than policing others, I'm not so sure these forums are the appropriate place to be discussing DRM removal. In practice it is no different than breaking disc copyright protections that we discuss constantly, but I'm not so sure Hollywood sees it that way right now. They are presently going through the "tantrum phase" that the music industry went through a decade ago.

Here is a followup (and in my opinion more relevant) question not directed at anyone in particular. Why would anybody ever, ever buy any media of any kind that contains DRM?

My advice: Either own it or rent it. DRM is an inevitable fuck-the-consumer-in-the-ass in between option that is utterly ridiculous. This is the product the studios present to us and then they wonder why sales are down and piracy is up.

Case in point: I regret to say that I do have some old DRM itunes songs that I bought way back when itunes music store first started. Over the years between then and now, I have had numerous issues I had to coordinate with tech support because of rights management due to multiple devices, new computers, etc. Now I want to put my music online with google music, but of course I can't with those songs. I also want to switch from itunes to a different media library manager, but... well, you know how the story ends. Badly.

Care to speculate what the world and technology will look like in another 20 years and how that DRM stuff you bought now will be working out for ya?

Back
Top Bottom