• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Captain America: The Steve Rogers Cut

AEmovieguy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cap_america_front.jpg

a TRUE FANEDIT by AEmovieguy

A fun, Saturday-Matinee, Action/Adventure, tightly focused on Captain America, The Steve Rogers Cut quickens the pace, energizes the action, and re-structures the narrative in humorous and exciting ways to create a very different introduction to The First Avenger.

Original film name
Captain America: The First Avenger
Film studio name
Marvel Studios/Paramount Pictures
Film release date
July 2011
Original runtime
124 minutes
Fanedit release date
April 2012
New runtime
84 minutes
Amount of time cut/added
40 minutes cut
INTENTION:
This is my first fanedit that is not trying to fix anything because I found Captain America: The First Avenger to be quite charming and old-fashioned fun. The Steve Rogers Cut is an alternative Fanmix to the original that gave me the creative freedom to work with a movie I already enjoyed. But even for movies I like, I have nitpicks: An over-exposed yet under-developed villian, a framing device that spoils the ending, some cringe-worthy dialogue and off comedic timing, a slow middle section, and action that never fully energized me. Additionally, there are some surprises along the way.

EDIT DETAILS:
-Removed the Opening Framing Device
-Excised the Majority of Red Skull’s Scenes; Delayed his First Scene; His Face is not seen until Steve Rogers first Encounters Him
-Cut Any Sign of Trouble Before the Super Soldier Procedure
-Revamped the Film’s Action
-Excised or Modified Particular Lines of Dialogue that were Inappropriate for the Tone of Select Scenes (Example; “Someone get that kid a sandwhich!”) (This includes ‘On-the-Nose’ lines, such as “The right partner.”)
-Re-arranged/Re-worked the Middle Section of the Film in Entertaining Ways
-Removed the Dialogue from the Ending Scene; Film Ends with a Silent Realization
-Credits Now Start with “Captain America: The First Avenger”

CUTLIST:

- Cut the opening framing device
- Moved Schmidt finding the cube to later in the film
- Cut Steve Rogers’ enlisting attempt
- Movie now opens during the War filmreel scene
- Tightened Steve’s confrontation with the Bully to seem far more brutal, and for Steve to appear far more resilient
- Cut Bully’s line “Do ya?”
- Tightened the exchange between Steve and Bucky in the Alley and when talking about the double date in the next scene
- Kept only one of the exhibition announcer’s lines
- Howard Stark’s show starts a bit sooner
- Moved Howard Stark’s line “You’ll be able to do just that” to after he has started the hover car
- Car malfunctions while the show music is peaking
- Cut Bucky turning around to discover Steve is missing
- Trimmed the beginning of the random extra stepping on the panel, activating the portrait; scene starts with him already looking at himself in the portrait
- Cut Bucky’s line, “This isn’t a back alley, Steve. It’s war.”
- Re-arranged Steve and Bucky’s farewell to eliminate Steve’s line “How can I? You’re taking all the stupid with you.”
- Trimmed some of Steve sitting in the examination room for pacing
- Added jump cut from Steve reading “It is illegal to falsify…” sign to Steve hurrying across the room to get dressed.
- Cut the section of the scene where Dr. Erskine walks to the exam bed and asks where Steve is from and tells Steve he’s from Germany. Steve now immediately asks if “this is a test?”
- Cut whole scene of Red Skull harnessing the cube’s energy
- Adjusted the comedic timing of Agent Carter knocking out the bully recruit
- Re-arranged the training montage to start with more excitement and establish the flag pole earlier
- Re-arranged the scene so that Steve has already unhinged the flag pole before being yelled at to, “Fall in!!!”
- “He is the clear choice” is said during a shot of Steve struggling to do push-ups
- “He’s making me cry” is said during a shot of Steve struggling to do jumping jacks
- Steve yells “Get back!” sooner during the grenade test to add urgency
- “He’s still skinny” is said off to the left of the screen after Phillips has walked away
- Cut the scene of Red Skull talking to and then killing Hitler’s check-up committee
- Removed footage of Red Skull when Dr. Erskine is telling Steve about the origins of Schmidt and his formula.
- Cut Steve’s line, “To the little guys.”
- Cut Red Skull getting his portrait made and revealing that he’s dispatched an assassin to the procedure.
- “And that diner” is said over a shot of Agent Carter looking baffled.
- Cut Steve’s line “The right partner.” Scene ends with Steve silently nodding after Carter asks “What were you waiting for?”
- Cut all shots of suspicious characters outside the antique shop
- Old woman enters from the back a bit sooner, and they enter the hidden chamber a bit sooner.
- Cut Dr. Erskine’s line “Comfortable?”
- Added shots of Steve becoming VERY nervous when he finds out Howard Stark created the machine and is in charge of the procedure
- Cut the Senator’s line, “Somebody get that kid a sandwhich!”
- Trimmed some of Erskine fiddling with the microphone
- Cut Dr. Erskine’s line, “That was penicillin.” Erskine now sighs in response to Steve’s line, “That wasn’t so bad,” and then says, “Serum infusion… beginning in…” Steve looks at him baffled.
- Cut Erskine checking on Steve, and Steve asking, “Is it too late to go to the bathroom?”
- Altered the pacing of the transformation
- Added the reaction shot of Howard Stark removing his glasses to after Steve’s new body is revealed, matching the way it was done in the trailers
- Cut the shot of the Assassin leaving something in the booth, and his dramatic stare-down with Erskine. Explosion occurs just after Steve’s line, “Taller,” to take the audience by surprise.
- Re-arranged the Assassin’s escape to give more time between Steve and Erskine.
- Cut Steve’s two “Sorry” lines during the chase to maintain the gravity of the situation.
- Schmidt finding the cube has been moved to right after the Assassin reveals he’s from Hydra and kills himself.
- The entire sequence of Schmidt finding the cube has been trimmed down to a little over a minute long and to not show Schmidt’s face (I thought it more menacing and fun this way). Scene ends when Schmidt opens the box with cube inside
- Cut scene of Steve behind stage saying, “I don’t know if I can do this.” Musical montge now begins with Steve being abruptly shoved on stage
- A full minute and twenty seconds has been cut out of the Musical Montage (was 3 minutes, 50 seconds; now 1 minute, 30 seconds)
- Sped up the soldiers turning on Steve’s theatrics; cut the mooning soldier
- Cut Steve walking back stage
- Simplified Steve’s conversation with Agent Carter backstage
- Tightened Steve’s conversation about the POW’s. Scene now ends with Steve saying, “Yes, sir”
- Cut chorus girl looking for her helmet
- Cut “So… do you two… Fondue?” Steve now gives an awkward nod after asking, “So… do you two…?”
- Cut Steve’s line, “The hell I can’t! I’m a Captain!” Instead Steve just grins when Carter says, “You can’t give me orders!”
- Cut the scene of Schmidt in the factory.
- Cut scene of POW’s being put in their cells
- Cut Steve’s line to the two guards when he jumps in the truck
- Cut the guard staring at the shield for 3 seconds. Guard removes the tarp and is instantly knocked out when seeing the shield.
- Cut Steve running around the outside of the base.
- Steve takes out the guard in a single punch. No door slam.
- Cut Steve’s line to the prisoners, “I’m…uh… Captain America.”
- Cut “We taking everyone?”/ “I’m from Fresno, Ace.”
- Trimmed Schmidt starting the timers so you don’t see his face
- Re-paced the action of the escape a tad
- Cut the line before Bucky’s, “Is it perminent?”
- Cut Steve punching Schmidt, and Schmidt punching the sheild and getting kicked. Dr. Zola now pulls the lever to separate the bridge before Steve and Schmidt can meet in the center, depriving Steve of a revenge lick.
- Trimmed the scene to show as little of the Red Skull make-up as possible after Schmidt removes the Elron mask
- Cut Red Skull and Zola in the elevator, Red Skull’s chopper escape, and Zola taking the car.
- Scene between Carter and Phillips begins with Phillips’ line, “Go get a cup of coffee, Corporal.”
- Carter now responds, “I had faith,” to Phillips’ line, “Because you had a crush.”
- Cut Phillips walking through the crowd.
- Shortened the shot of the Bully coming out of the tent
- Moved the Medal of Valor ceremony to later in the film.
- Cut Steve pointing out the bases/ Carter’s, “Well, no one’s PERfect.”
- Simplified Steve’s conversation with Phillips and the subsequent bar scene for pacing
- Cut Steve’s line, “I don’t know. It’s starting to grow on me.”
- Cut Carter’s line, “the right partner.”
- Intercut Howard Stark testing the cube energy with Steve being hit on the blonde secretary to improve pacing, create a metaphor, and for entertainment.
- Cut Carter’s line, “You still don’t know a bloody thing about women.”
- Carter grabs the gun quicker for added comedic effect
- The Medal for Valor Ceremony now opens the war montage in a fun way
- Cut Red Skull angry behind the wheel of a car.
- Simplified Red Skull’s “Apparently not” scene at the end of the montage
- Re-paced the action in the train sequence
- Cut all instances of Dr. Zola over the intercom during the train trap.
- Re-placed the greenscreen shot of Bucky falling with a shot of the empty cavern below
- Cut the whole scene of Phillips interrogating Zola
- Cut the motocycle chase
- Re-paced the climax
- Cut Steve’s line, “You’re late.”
- Cut Steve’s speed-ramped tarzan swing
- Cut Steve murdering two men in the aircraft (the knife in the back and throwing another out the plane)
- Added reaction shot of pilot when other guard is shredded in the propeller blades
- Cut Red Skull’s line, “You don’t give up, do you?” (Too ‘On-the-nose’ in relation to the opening bully scene)
- Cut as many shots of the exterior of the aircraft as possible to keep the action inside the plane
- Steve’s line, “Not MY future!” is now said as he’s throwing the shield at Red Skull
- Cut Steve’s line, “This is my choice.”
- Cut Carter’s line, “at the _____ club.”
- “To the Captain” line has been muted during the toast.
- Added reaction shot of Carter after seeing Steve’s picture.
- Cut all dialogue between Nick Fury and Steve. Film ends with a silent, emotional realization of what’s happened.
- Credits start with “Captain America: The First Avenger”

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Fanedit Logo with new 5.1 Sound
Teaser Trailer for AEmovieguy's next Fanedit
Avengers Theatrical Trailer #2 (re-framed in Scope)
Easter Egg

RELEASE:
Blu-ray
AVCHD
Single-Layer DVD

SPECIAL THANKS:
Raymonster88 for feedback and advice during the editing process.
The Avengers Initiative by Sunarep

Sounds good, I really liked the original and am interested on an alternate take. I agree w/ many of your changes mentioned as well.

I wonder if you kept in Dr. Phinneas Horton's "The Synthetic Man" (the original 'Human' Torch) cameo in the expo.

Had a chance to watch this last night. I loved the theatrical version when it came out. Thought it was great story. Sure, some things could've been tightened up. But for the most part, it works really well. Sure, there r the cheesy jokes. And some things were right on the nose (finding the "right partner"). But it was okay.

This, however, adds to it. By removing some of these elements. It helps strengthen the story. Yeah, couple of parts I did like aren't in it. (Steve telling Bucky he's taking all the stupid with him when Bucky leaves, Steve telling Peggy that he can give her orders cause he's a captain, even the "right partner" stuff) But now it feels more in line with the original Iron Man.

I did miss seeing the little tussle with Cap and Red Skull in their first meeting (where he dents the shield). But this is definitely a great alternative. It has a bit of the old serials feel to it, like the Rocketeer did. great job.

10/10.

addiesin said:
I wonder if you kept in Dr. Phinneas Horton's "The Synthetic Man" (the original 'Human' Torch) cameo in the expo.

*nods "yes"*

steelio2006 said:
Had a chance to watch this last night.
I loved the theatrical version when it came out. Thought it was great story. Sure, some things could've been tightened up. But for the most part, it works really well. Sure, there r the cheesy jokes. And some things were right on the nose (finding the "right partner"). But it was okay.

This, however, adds to it. By removing some of these elements. It helps strengthen the story. Yeah, couple of parts I did like aren't in it. (Steve telling Bucky he's taking all the stupid with him when Bucky leaves, Steve telling Peggy that he can give her orders cause he's a captain, even the "right partner" stuff) But now it feels more in line with the original Iron Man.

I did miss seeing the little tussle with Cap and Red Skull in their first meeting (where he dents the shield). But this is definitely a great alternative. It has a bit of the old serials feel to it, like the Rocketeer did. great job.

10/10.

Thank you very much, Steelio2006. Glad you enjoyed it so much given your fondness for the theatrical cut. :)

it begs to be screened in a double feature with The Rocketeer.

steelio2006 said:
it begs to be screened in a double feature with The Rocketeer.

I confess, I haven't seen The Rocketeer. :oops:

I'll rent it soon based on your recommendation and the Half in the Bag episode #12.

if u liked Cap, I can almost say that u'll like The Rocketeer. in the same vein. love old serial type of movies now. like Indiana Jones qualifies as well.

***WARNING THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS***

So I was pleasantly surprised by this edit. I watched the theatrical cut the night before in preparation for watching the edit. I haven't read the detailed cutlist nor have I read any of the other reviews. But I did go into the viewing experience knowing that you had wanted to cut out a lot of the corny dialogue and some unnecessary comedic lines.

Good choice to rearrange where/when Schmidt is introduced in your cut. I think it works a lot better from a pacing stand point that way. You've established Rogers and now he's undergone this change. Now we need a villain!

The way you started the movie was cool and a great way to get right into the introduction of the Steve Rogers character. You did some excellent editing in the scene where Dr. Erskine has the drink with Rogers in the barracks and discusses Schmidt and the Nazis.

I was impressed with pretty much all the line/scene removal work you did here. When cutting out a corny line here and there etc. in an edit it can be easy to get lazy, but its clear to me you took the time to make everything seamless. So job well done! Although I gotta say I was sad to see the fondue line cut from the scene where they're in the plane with Stark :D!

I watched the DVD version.

Video editing: was pretty much flawless, no flash frames etc.
Audio editing: as mentioned above, excellent audio editing!

Simple Nice Looking Menus.

I somewhat enjoyed the theatrical cut, but it felt bloated and i didn't like how quickly the villain was introduced into the story. Luckily this edit remedies both of those problems.

I rate this a 9/10. Excellent job AEmovieguy! This is the first fanedit of yours that I've seen so I'll definitely be checking out your other work.

Nice Easter Egg! At first I said to myself "WTF is this?!" But it all became clear.

Gatos said:
My only real complaint, and this is just of the nitpicking variety is that the black screen between the kids playing with captain america shields in the straight -> black screen -> Steve waking up. The black section felt like it went on for quite a long time, I think it could have been shortened. I'll have to double check with my DVD and see if thats how it was in the theatrical cut. But again that is a very tiny complaint in an otherwise IMO flawless edit.

I rate this a 9/10. Excellent job AEmovieguy! This is the first fanedit of yours that I've seen so I'll definitely be checking out your other work.

Thank you, Gatos. :)

I'll be re-uploading my first two fanedits starting this weekend. My fourth fanedit will have version two of my second fanedit inside it.

The black screen is exactly the same length as the theatrical cut. :p

AEmovieguy said:
Thank you, Gatos. :)

I'll be re-uploading my first two fanedits starting this weekend. My fourth fanedit will have version two of my second fanedit inside it.

The black screen is exactly the same length as the theatrical cut. :p

Ok I kinda figured that was the case, I apologize for that then. I'll take that part out of my review since that was in the original!

Very cool, mostly totally invisible editing. I agree that a few too many little beats were trimmed here and there, but overall, the pic moves a whole lot better, and shows all the Schmidt/Zola scenes for being the filler that they were. This does have the slight downside of making the movie a bit too fast-paced at times, but that's a tradeoff I'm okay with. The result is a B+ movie raised to... well, still just B+, frankly, but a leaner and meaner one, and thus a clear improvement over the original. 8/10 for editing, minus one whole point for in any way abridging the "Star-Spangled Man" number, so 7/10 from the Gaithster. Overall, great job! :)

di-2PRA.jpg

Useless final nitpicks: would have liked to see the post-credits workout scene reframed to full 2.35:1, and now that The Avengers is upon us, I would also have cut the trailer... making it a separate bonus feature, if anything. :wink:

Gaith said:
Very cool, mostly totally invisible editing. I agree that a few too many little beats were trimmed here and there, but overall, the pic moves a whole lot better, and shows all the Schmidt/Zola scenes for being the filler that they were. This does have the slight downside of making the movie a bit too fast-paced at times, but that's a tradeoff I'm okay with. The result is a B+ movie raised to... well, still just B+, frankly, but a leaner and meaner one, and thus a clear improvement over the original. 8/10 for editing, minus one whole point for in any way abridging the "Star-Spangled Man" number, so 7/10 from the Gaithster. Overall, great job! :)

di-2PRA.jpg

Useless final nitpicks: would have liked to see the post-credits workout scene reframed to full 2.35:1, and now that The Avengers is upon us, I would also have cut the trailer... making it a separate bonus feature, if anything. :wink:

Thanks, Gaith. I was worried about it being too fast-paced, mostly the second act. I kinda have an overactive editing style that keeps me from seeing the forest for the trees sometimes. :)

I had decided not to reframe the post-credits Avengers Teaser because it was window-boxed instead of 1.85:1, but there's a reframed Theatrical Trailer #2 in the scene selection menu.

You tried to warn me about "Star-Spangled Man." Ouch. ;)

Glad you mostly enjoyed it.

Here is the review I posted on the main page. :)

You really managed to insert some energy into this – it’s much more exciting and entertaining than the original.

Technical quality – 9/10 – video quality was sufficient. The audio levels fluctuated a bit, but were crisp.

Editing – 8/10 – most of the time, the video and audio editing was great. However, there were a few places where things could have been changed – the audio from the theater should have started a little earlier over a black screen before the Paramount logo showed up – as it is, it’s a bit sudden. It also would have been nice if the opening shot of Steve was longer. The removal of the “right partner” line was a bit awkward. I was kind of hoping you would keep “That was Penicillin,” but that’s only my opinion. I wish you had cut Peggy touching Steve after he gets out of the machine (kind of looked like you tried to cut it, but it’s ok). The audio crossfade to the Captain America show montage should have started a bit later, seems like it began in the middle of a line. I noticed a couple iffy audio transitions in the scene where the blonde kisses Steve (which I still wish you had cut, but I realize now how hard it would be). I found the new cutting of the war montage clever, but the line “That’s your cue” was cut off rather abruptly. You also should have added “The Steve Rogers Cut” to the credits. Sorry for all the complaining. Overall, the editing was professional.

Presentation – 9/10 – the menu was nice – I especially liked the shields on the scene selection. The Harry Potter trailer was cool too (made me want to watch the edit!). Cover art was simple, but it gets the job done.

Entertainment – 8/10 – I love the new pacing, it’s very fast and energetic. Introducing the Red Skull later works well for a while, especially with the foreboding discussion about the Nazis between Steve and the doctor. The first Red Skull scene is nicely cut to avoid showing him. I appreciated that you shortened that dancing montage. In fact, I pretty much love all the cuts in the whole edit. You have a good feel for what to cut – the dialogue scenes were more effective and the action sequences were more intense. Here’s my main problem with the edit: you toned down the plot way too much. The Red Skull only has a couple scenes, and we don’t have time to accept him as the villain. Then suddenly we’re already at the finale, without sufficient build-up, and we don’t have a good idea of what’s at stake or what the odds are. The film whizzes by well-paced, but the plot is severely under-developed. I enjoyed this edit, and in fact I might prefer it over the original, but I’m going to take off one point for the editing problems and another for toning down the plot too much. Fantastic job overall though, I think I’ll check out some of your other work.

Overall – 8/10

AEmovieguy said:
I'll be re-uploading my first two fanedits starting this weekend.

Good to hear. I'd been wanting to see your edit of DH7, and I wouldn't mind checking out your Ep. III one either.

QuickCut said:
Here is the review I posted on the main page. :)

You really managed to insert some energy into this – it’s much more exciting and entertaining than the original.

Technical quality – 9/10 – video quality was sufficient. The audio levels fluctuated a bit, but were crisp.

Editing – 8/10 – most of the time, the video and audio editing was great. However, there were a few places where things could have been changed – the audio from the theater should have started a little earlier over a black screen before the Paramount logo showed up – as it is, it’s a bit sudden. It also would have been nice if the opening shot of Steve was longer. The removal of the “right partner” line was a bit awkward. I was kind of hoping you would keep “That was Penicillin,” but that’s only my opinion. I wish you had cut Peggy touching Steve after he gets out of the machine (kind of looked like you tried to cut it, but it’s ok). The audio crossfade to the Captain America show montage should have started a bit later, seems like it began in the middle of a line. I noticed a couple iffy audio transitions in the scene where the blonde kisses Steve (which I still wish you had cut, but I realize now how hard it would be). I found the new cutting of the war montage clever, but the line “That’s your cue” was cut off rather abruptly. You also should have added “The Steve Rogers Cut” to the credits. Sorry for all the complaining. Overall, the editing was professional.

Presentation – 9/10 – the menu was nice – I especially liked the shields on the scene selection. The Harry Potter trailer was cool too (made me want to watch the edit!). Cover art was simple, but it gets the job done.

Entertainment – 8/10 – I love the new pacing, it’s very fast and energetic. Introducing the Red Skull later works well for a while, especially with the foreboding discussion about the Nazis between Steve and the doctor. The first Red Skull scene is nicely cut to avoid showing him. I appreciated that you shortened that dancing montage. In fact, I pretty much love all the cuts in the whole edit. You have a good feel for what to cut – the dialogue scenes were more effective and the action sequences were more intense. Here’s my main problem with the edit: you toned down the plot way too much. The Red Skull only has a couple scenes, and we don’t have time to accept him as the villain. Then suddenly we’re already at the finale, without sufficient build-up, and we don’t have a good idea of what’s at stake or what the odds are. The film whizzes by well-paced, but the plot is severely under-developed. I enjoyed this edit, and in fact I might prefer it over the original, but I’m going to take off one point for the editing problems and another for toning down the plot too much. Fantastic job overall though, I think I’ll check out some of your other work.

Overall – 8/10

Thank you very much, QuickCut. :)

You expressed my concerns about plotting when taking out many Red Skull scenes. The plot still makes full sense, but it happens without dramatic irony. I think the scene with Zola being interrogated and/or the scene with Red Skull giving a speech to his army are needed in some sense to transition the audience into finale mode. Additionally, I could have added in two more scenes of Red Skull with the mask on, perhaps on either side of the war bonds montage and re-extended his conversation with doctor Zola after the war montage. On the other hand, the more I see of Red Skull, the less imposing I find him for some reason. I enjoy his scenes, but he's a very lighthearted, pleasant guy for a villian.

I'll let you and Gaith duel it out over the abbreviated War Bonds Musical Number. :p

I definitely do cover art out of neccessity, not propensity. :oops:

Thank you for mentioning the "exclusive" Whole Wicked Edition teaser. Based on the feedback Captain has received, I'd definitely like fanedit.org members to be fully involved in my Deathly Hallows combo edit. It has a very fine cut, and I'll start an "In-the-Works" thread for it soon. A workprint will be in early or mid-May.

I really appreciate your kind words about my editing style (energy/intensity). I'm still learning about overall pacing and narrative when it comes to feature length editing.

My Episode III edit has been re-uploaded and The 90 Minute Wicked Edition will be this weekend.

Thanks again.

I didn't think there was too little Red Skull, myself. They're always talking about him, even when we don't keep cutting back to him. :)

Back
Top Bottom