• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Captain America: The Steve Rogers Cut

wow been downloading this since 5am this morning, various restarts.
keep getting some hoster problem errors, and server: requested range not satisfiable.
i hope to watch this 1 day.

Out of all the MCU movies I enjoyed Captain America the least (or Iron Man 2 it is a close call)

While the movie has its fair shares of good ideas and a nice retro vibe it just dragged forever to me. The Red Skull was doing evil things the whole times but nothing that had a genuine effect on the hero's journey.
The entire storyline is very simplistic: cap gets born, he frees soldiers, they invade the fortress of the overlord

With that little plot the movie just dragged for me, so when AEMovieguy annoucned a quickened version I was more than intrigued.

And what a ride this edit was!
The time flies by like nothing and similarly to his Harry Potter shortening the edits are very well chosen and a lot of time pretty creative.

I was not sure how the new opening would work and found myself laughing at it because it is a pretty cool "meta"-framing device as the people in the cinema complain that the movie should finally start, which would have been a fantastic way to open the movie in the cinema after having to endure millions of trailers before the movie you really feel like "come on just start the goddamn movie"

Further on the plus side most of the re-editing manages to energize scenes that were pretty unremarkable in the original. Moving Lee's monolog during the training montange manages to combine two sequences without losing anything and adding much more energy than "mandatory exposition" followed by "mandatory montage" now it is just one mandatory scene that goes way faster.

Pretty much all the quickening helped me enjoy the movie much more. We don't need to see Steve apply a million times as it is stated so many times thorough the movie. Also removing the bland Red-Skull/Weaving shots from the Doctor's narration helps wonders and does not remind you of matrix revolutions with dozens of Hugo Weavings.

Almost all of the Red Skull scenes where he is scheming are gone and the movie profits a lot. Pretty much all the Skull does is extract the energy from the cube - which Stark finds out later and feels redundant in the original. In this version we discover what the red skull has done alongside the heroes

The only scene I missed was the portrait of the skull which was a pretty neat foreshadowing, but hey..

Removing the framing device also works wonders and helps the cliffhanger to be at least surprising to the audience. In the original it is not really a big surprise when Cap wakes up and you spend more time wondering why shield has set up the chamber in the style of the 40s... in this version it still makes little to no sense ("we wanted to make the transition easier"-yeah for sure) but you don't have time to think about this because like Cap you are not sure what exactly is going on

The minor nitpicks:
While I liked the trimming of the Red Skull I would have preferred for the first confrontation to be a bit longer.
The idea of intercutting the Captain America war montage with the announcer of the tour is pretty fun but I still think the money-shot of the shield on the back is a pretty cool shot of the hero being fully formed and it gets downplayed a bit in this version

Overall a vast improvement and to everyone who kinda liked Captain America but felt it was a bit lackluster just go watch this version

9/10

Thank you for your review, Sunarep. :)

Sunarep said:
The idea of intercutting the Captain America war montage with the announcer of the tour is pretty fun but I still think the money-shot of the shield on the back is a pretty cool shot of the hero being fully formed and it gets downplayed a bit in this version.

It was almost missing entirely. Even after the last test screening with friends, no one had mentioned that I completely left out a shot of Steve putting the shield on his back (It was just cocking the gun and holstering the shotgun). As I was watching the movie one last time before preparing the final render, I had a pretty big :oops: moment.

Another reason for workprints in the future. ;-)

Hi AEMovieguy,

I'm anxious to view your fan edit and am curious if you can tell me about the AVCHD format versus the Blu Ray. I am a Mac user and Apple TV 2 user and will try to produce a full res (1080p if available) video for playback. I do enjoy keeping the master DVD files of these great fanedits, and have Q2's Book of Eli AVCHD that I was able to convert via Handbrake.

Do you observe a better picture quality between the two formats or a file management between the two? Is the Blu Ray version in 1080p?

Thanks in advance,

Zackalope
Austin, TX

Zackalope said:
Hi AEMovieguy,

I'm anxious to view your fan edit and am curious if you can tell me about the AVCHD format versus the Blu Ray. I am a Mac user and Apple TV 2 user and will try to produce a full res (1080p if available) video for playback. I do enjoy keeping the master DVD files of these great fanedits, and have Q2's Book of Eli AVCHD that I was able to convert via Handbrake.

Do you observe a better picture quality between the two formats or a file management between the two? Is the Blu Ray version in 1080p?

Thanks in advance,

Zackalope
Austin, TX

You are correct that the difference is resolution and video bitrate:

AVCHD (1280x720p H.264/AVC at 10.3 Mbps)
Blu-ray (1920x1080p H.264/AVC at 34 Mbps)

Both of these Disc formats require a Blu-ray player for playback. Therefore, the main advantages of AVCHD are smaller file sizes and the ability to burn them to DVD discs with a regular DVD burner, since many do not own a Blu-ray burner but do own Blu-ray players.

If you prefer converting your discs to 1080p with Handbrake to play through your Apple TV, the Blu-ray version, while a much larger file size, would be the best video quality source to start with for this Fanedit.

Hope this is what you needed to know. Enjoy the edit, Zackalope. :)

could you make a file available on torrent? I'm trying to use jdownloader and it's giving me all kinds of trouble, it says plugin error (out of date) and doesn't download nothing.

i've doing some digging around and it seems this is an old problem between jdownloader and mediafire...

so if you could make a torrent available it would be great. thanks AEmovieguy ;-)

degenerationx said:
could you make a file available on torrent? I'm trying to use jdownloader and it's giving me all kinds of trouble, it says plugin error (out of date) and doesn't download nothing.

i've doing some digging around and it seems this is an old problem between jdownloader and mediafire...

so if you could make a torrent available it would be great. thanks AEmovieguy ;-)

gotta it thanks to http://dcrypt.it/ ;-)

i just watched this edit and it was awesome.

I must say that i hated the original cut, i thought captain america was the worst movie that came from marvel in the recent years, in one word, it was plained boring. But this edit fixes that, the movie is no longer boring, it's entertainning and full of action, quitte an amazing feat in my book.

So congrats on a job well done, quitte frankly you saved a marvel movie that i didn't thought it had any salvation.;-)

degenerationx said:
i just watched this edit and it was awesome.

I must say that i hated the original cut, i thought captain america was the worst movie that came from marvel in the recent years, in one word, it was plained boring. But this edit fixes that, the movie is no longer boring, it's entertainning and full of action, quitte an amazing feat in my book.

So congrats on a job well done, quitte frankly you saved a marvel movie that i didn't thought it had any salvation.;-)

Thanks, Degenerationx. Very happy to hear you enjoyed it that much and that you were able to find a download solution while I was offline. :)

I can't seem to download file part044 for some reason either through JDownloader or manually. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks!

jinfoo said:
I can't seem to download file part044 for some reason either through JDownloader or manually. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks!

I just checked my mediafire account, and Part 044 appears to have been deleted/missing (hopefully deleted, or else others have had this problem too). I backed up the original rar files for the edit, and I'll re-upload Part 044 of the Blu-ray today. When it's re-upload, I'll send you a direct link via PM, jinfoo. I'll create a new .dlc for the edit tonight and submit it to an administrator.

If anyone is downloading the Blu-ray with the current .dlc, please PM me for Part 044. Thanks for the heads up, jinfoo.

Edit: Pt. 044 re-uploaded now. PM sent. New .dlc submitted.

This edit is available again on Rapidshare. DLCs for the SL DVD and AVCHD versions have been submitted to info and should be there soon.

AEmovieguy said:
This edit is available again on Rapidshare. DLCs for the SL DVD and AVCHD versions have been submitted to info and should be there soon.

Greetings AE
The files for both versions are no longer available on RS.
Any chance of uploading again to Mega or Usenet.
Thanks

TV's Frink said:
Please read the rules.
That post would have worked just fine as a PM.

Sorry, My mistake.:oops:
Won't happen again

Back
Top Bottom