• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Can I use FDK AAC without getting into legal trouble?

korach1921

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been meaning to do a custom build of ffmpeg that will enable FDK AAC, but I'm not entirely sure how the codec works. It's licensed. Does that mean I need permission to put it in a fanedit that I'm not making money from? Should it only be for personal use?

I'll categorize that question under rhetorical.

I think what krausfadr is meaning is that fanediting itself is in a grey space, and possibly larger than that of fdk aac. Editors release content that is licensed and copyrighted with every release. I think the question to ask is if you are ok with using fdk aac.

Oh yeah, for some reason I didn't make that connection in my head. I'm just thinking like, how much is stretching the bounds of fair use

That would be entering the OTS rule discussion, which we would need to continue in a PM.

a cursory search tells me fdk aac is open source library and ffmpeg is open source.
When you say 'it's licensed', what are you referring to?
as far as I can tell, there are no restrictions for your use of a codec, aside from potential issues of other people being able to decode if they don't have the required decoder.

Back
Top Bottom