• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Buffy Reimagined (season 3 turned into eight movies), trailer inside...

That always happens, the last time I set a deadline for an edit, two weeks passed without it happening (and I had finished it too) because I just kept changing my mind on which version to end up uploading

It's finished and friends have seen the eight movies (they have also seen the five ones for Buffy s1 and s2 last year) and they came away very excited and now they are fans of Buffy.:)

Just an update: The 8-movie-edit for season 3 is finished, will just have to wrap it up, encode, rar and upload it. So the release should be near, maybe a week or two from now.:)

8 movies? Did you use every episode from the season? That sounds like a huge commitment just as a viewer.

addiesin said:
8 movies? Did you use every episode from the season? That sounds like a huge commitment just as a viewer.

For season 1 I used a single movie, for season 2 four movies, for season 4 it will be 5 movies , for season 3 it had to be eight.:)
I just use what is necessary to tell the story of the movies, and I think the enjoyment of every single movie will be worth it.

According to wikipedia, Season3 is 16 hours long and devide that by 8, you get 2 hours a movie? Even if your movies are 90 minutes long, that's still very little cut. Also if these are 90 minutes, why not make them 2 hours and then you've got a neater 6 movie package.

I've never seen Buffy S3 but based on every other long running TV show I have seen, I find it hard to believe that there is only 4 hours of material that can be cut. Plus probably an hour of that cut material is just credit sequences! Are there no subplots? I only say all this because I fear only the most dedicated of dedicated Buffy fans would even be remotely interested in such a project.

My 2 cents is that I would just rewatch the season if I had 13+ hours. I personally love TV-to-film adaptations which cut the fat and get to the meat of the story so I can rewatch a season in an afternoon. But I'm pretty pressed for time these days so it may just be me.

There's always a subplot that completely resolves itself within a few episodes that can be cut out completely. Especially in series like Smallville, Buffy, Angel, etc it makes most sense that you focus on the season's overarching story arc and cut out whatever else. No one said you have to preserve everything.

It's the same thing with a Star Wars 3-in-1 cut or Kill Bill 2-in-1 cut. You can't just paste everything after one another and say you made a +6 hours Star Wars film. You're bound to cut some sub plots, small character developments or twists, etc. Luke buys a droid and it breaks down immediately. Yes, it shows how they got R2, but is it necessary? Clever editing can have them choose R2 from the start. Tricks like that let you cut the fat and get straight to the point.

I can understand the sentiment, but like I already said, it all depends on the story I want to tell with the movies. For season 1 a single movie sufficed, for season 2 it had to be four movies, and for season 4 it will be four (or maybe five) movies, and for season 3 eight movies were necessary.

I'm all for cutting fat (and am willing and able to do so as can be seen in the movies for s1 and s2(and again for s4)), so you can trust that when I use eight movies for season 3, I must have very good reason for it, and when or if you watch them, you will see why.

NewSpock said:
I can understand the sentiment, but like I already said, it all depends on the story I want to tell with the movies. For season 1 a single movie sufficed, for season 2 it had to be four movies, and for season 4 it will be four (or maybe five) movies, and for season 3 eight movies were necessary.

I'm all for cutting fat (and am willing and able to do so as can be seen in the movies for s1 and s2(and again for s4)), so you can trust that when I use eight movies for season 3, I must have very good reason for it, and when or if you watch them, you will see why.

Personally I'll probably never get to the point of actually watching them. As I said before, that's a huge commitment. You yourself said when you get through season 4 there will be 17 or 18 feature-length edits. That is a scary number for a franchise. There is even a single Wikipedia page for franchises with more than 10 films (and another for franchises with more than 20 in case you go on to season 5) and I personally don't recognize many of them at all (I'm only telling you this to illustrate how strange a concept it is to have so many films to tell "a" story). Unfortunately I understand that it depends on the story you want to tell, but I don't know any details about said story. I might be more interested if I knew your intent. I don't want to discourage you from your edits, though I do think you should at least try to communicate your plans rather than just say basically "there's a reason" and "it's how it has to be". Take from that what you will.

addiesin said:
Personally I'll probably never get to the point of actually watching them. As I said before, that's a huge commitment. You yourself said when you get through season 4 there will be 17 or 18 feature-length edits. That is a scary number for a franchise. There is even a single Wikipedia page for franchises with more than 10 films (and another for franchises with more than 20 in case you go on to season 5) and I personally don't recognize many of them at all (I'm only telling you this to illustrate how strange a concept it is to have so many films to tell "a" story). Unfortunately I understand that it depends on the story you want to tell, but I don't know any details about said story. I might be more interested if I knew your intent. I don't want to discourage you from your edits, though I do think you should at least try to communicate your plans rather than just say basically "there's a reason" and "it's how it has to be". Take from that what you will.

I see the problem, people have too little time these days, there is so much else to do or watch... and weekends are quickly over especially when having many friends or family-life.

So such an edit with eight movies is a bit much, but if you've seen the show Buffy and like it, I can only suggest to give this a try and to take it slow. Watch the first movie and see if you like it, then a weekend or two later or even a month later, watch the second movie and see if it gets you interested in the style and way I created these movies and go from there without pressure, after the lust/enjoyment-principle.

If it doesn't get you interested within the first two movies, then delete the movie-series.

Finally, it's uploaded and I've submitted it to the IFdb.:)

NewSpock said:
So such an edit with eight movies is a bit much, but if you've seen the show Buffy and like it, I can only suggest to give this a try and to take it slow. Watch the first movie and see if you like it, then a weekend or two later or even a month later, watch the second movie and see if it gets you interested in the style and way I created these movies and go from there without pressure, after the lust/enjoyment-principle.

If it doesn't get you interested within the first two movies, then delete the movie-series.

I don't remember who (here), but I seem to recall one or two editors working with a big board of sorts, and putting key scenes on it (screenshots or storyboard like, if you will) and use that to rearrange the narrative, see if it works without a scene or two, etc etc. It's not the same as seeing an edit in full without a certain scene, of course, but it might be very helpful for you to get a crystal clear overview of what you can use and lose.

Seems kind of a waste of a lot of time to go through the motions of 6 or 7 edits if some people already said they won't take out the time to watch such a lengthy saga :(

Kal-El said:
I don't remember who (here), but I seem to recall one or two editors working with a big board of sorts, and putting key scenes on it (screenshots or storyboard like, if you will) and use that to rearrange the narrative, see if it works without a scene or two, etc etc. It's not the same as seeing an edit in full without a certain scene, of course, but it might be very helpful for you to get a crystal clear overview of what you can use and lose.

That's actually a very good idea. Thanks for sharing.:)

This edit is listed on IFdb. If someone is interested but is intimitaded because it is an edit of 8 movies, try the first two movies (one movie per weekend if you like), and then let your feeling of enjoyment decide. If it doesn't get you interested, delete the movie-series.

But make sure to watch "Buffy Reimagined (s1, s2)" first, it's the foundation.:)

Could someone please move this thread into the "Fanedits - Fixes, Mixes & TV"-section?

Had a stab at my own version of a Buffy poster for NewSpock.
The original:
I5y5b2h.png

Edited version:

Generally a very nice poster but it reads a bit like "Buffy Cubed the vampire slayer Keimugined" though. Maybe do a few minor tweaks to make it clearer.

Back
Top Bottom