• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

I'd be fine with that as well, but I like the idea of creating a new shot that fits the aesthetic of the era in which the film was made a little better than the FC shot.

^ Exactly.

Plissken1138 said:
I'd just use untealed FC.

I'm not discounting that option. When I get it matched to the rest of the DC footage, if it suddenly looks good then I might go with it.

You see several options for that shot in the 'Dangerous Days' documentary, or some other bonus feature. So I'll have to go back and check out that at some point. IIRC you see Ridley looking them over and then picking the worst looking one :D (IMHO).

Like Plissken, I think the CC final cut shot would be best. The pipes in the original shot feel really out of place.

Great job on the grading of Deckard's entry into Bradbury's apartment also! Looks wonderful.

RIP Rutger Hauer :cry: . I had to have a go at grading his speech today. It's still a work in progress but here it is:

I uploaded the uncompressed AVI in 4K just to see how it looked but with the youtube compression it doesn't look much different.

I never noticed the little blue arrow tattoos on Roy's left shoulder before.

EDIT - I also uploaded it on Vimeo in 4K (a minimally compressed mp4 render) as the streaming compression is less pronounced:

(Password: fanedit.org)

My internet connection is unable to actually stream that ^ but I assume it works, if you've got the juice :D .

Here is the first half of Deckard vs Pris:

The final cut was handy to fix the blown out highlights on the DC blu-ray in this one shot of Deckard:

48384110262_8768c9a513_o.jpg

I just used the right side of Harrison's face masked, resized and sharpened as the final cut is particularly soft in this shot.

Here is the 2nd part of Deckard's tussle with Pris (Just Batty left now):

Also a timeline progress screenshot for the people that like seeing those (including me):

48386370316_eda38afe21_o.jpg

The first part of Roy and Rick's showdown is done:

I got out my Blade Runner blu-ray boxset and had a look at the "All our variant Futures" documentary. Such a shame it's still in standard definition as it features the concept art for the replaced dove shot. I screen grabbed them and put them into a short video to see the differences:

As I remembered, the first one they came up with looked the best to me, as it's close in form to the original shot... but Ridley had other ideas:

48397914387_eb3cd57c40_o.png

This is the final shot they went with:

48397914342_37164d1a85_o.png

and the same shot badly cropped with the horrible final cut grade applied to it:

48397914442_eabe67b9b8_o.png

The final shot looks much better without the harsh teal tint but I still think something better could be achieved. Maybe I could try doing my own traditional matte painting but my painting skills are pretty rusty.

Another minute of the showdown is done:

I forgot to mention that I noticed a couple of shots from the "All our variant Futures" doc showing them re-grading areas of an FX shot:

48408726857_9c956e8e71_b.jpg

The same areas I mentioned fixing in this post :D .

Not sure what it is about the audio of this scene, but it's driving my dog crazy.

asterixsmeagol said:
Not sure what it is about the audio of this scene, but it's driving my dog crazy.

Probably a replicant.

The wince inducing finger breaking scene is done:

About 15 minutes left to grade now. I don't want to jinx it but if I keep going at this rate (a minute a day), I'll be at the end of the movie by the 15th of August, or thereabouts. The project will still be a long way off because I need to revisit the grade for the first 30 mins or so but it'll be a milestone for me.

Awesome news! This is hands down my most anticipated fan project on this site. Your work is stunning so far!

TM2YC said:
About 15 minutes left to grade now. I don't want to jinx it but if I keep going at this rate (a minute a day), I'll be at the end of the movie by the 15th of August, or thereabouts. The project will still be a long way off because I need to revisit the grade for the first 30 mins or so but it'll be a milestone for me.

Hyped!

Talking about jinxing it, make sure to backup your work thus far in any way you can. I know this is common knowledge, but an extra reminder can't hurt.

jrWHAG42 said:
Talking about jinxing it, make sure to backup your work thus far in any way you can. I know this is common knowledge, but an extra reminder can't hurt.

Stupidly, it's not backed up at all, now you mention it. I just checked and the project folder is currently 434GB. I'll need to buy a new drive to have room to back it up.

Another minute or so of Roy mourning Pris:

The sound design, music, lighting and Rutger's unusual performance is so good in this section.

TM2YC said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Stupidly, it's not backed up at all, now you mention it. I just checked and the project folder is currently 434GB. I'll need to buy a new drive to have room to back it up.

Can you at least back up the project file itself right now, or is a lot of the grading baked into rendered clips already?

ChainsawAsh said:
TM2YC said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Can you at least back up the project file itself right now, or is a lot of the grading baked into rendered clips already?

I've got a backup of the project file now. No nothing pre-rendered. There are only four source files to the actual project timeline:

- Director's Cut Blu-Ray LagAVI
- Director's Cut DVD LagAVI (converted to 23.97fps)
- Final Cut Blu-Ray LagAVI
- A 1920x1080 black jpeg (which I use as a 2.35:1 matte box)

A new hard-drive is being delivered tomorrow. Storage has been getting maxed out on my system, so it's as good a time as any.

Back
Top Bottom