• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Are Marvel Cinematic Universe films actually good films?

@reave makes Wade Wilson look like Mother Teresa.

Side-note: Wade Wilson was a quarterback, not an anti-hero, dammit.

ThrowgnCpr said:
TVs Frink said:
Oh yeah I forgot about how bad Iron Man ended.  It was a 9/10 most of the way through and a 2/10 at the end.

giphy.gif

Are you two referring to IM1 or IM3? I think I fast forwarded through most of IM3 and eventually just turned it off. In IM1, the ending scenes with Jeff Bridges are ridiculous,  but I liked the abrupt ending.

I don't think I own a single current MCU film nor do I desire to do so.

Mark Harris, a film critic, wrote on Twitter about "movies as TV" - kinda sums up my feelings about the MCU films:

Star Trek Beyond didn't make me think "Are movies dead?" But it did make me think "Are movies movies?" Sometimes the answer is no. Just as some things on TV are movies, some things in theaters are TV. This exists purely in relation to other episodes of itself. That doesn't make it bad. But TV that makes a new episode only every 3 years & so has to be high-stakes each time isn't skilled TV. Star Trek movies can't offer the pleasures of a series: One-offs, episodes that change tone or spotlight a minor character, experiments. They end up feeling like 2-hour premieres (or finales). And on the other hand they don't try for the containment, discipline, or discovery of movies.

Each Marvel movie is so high-stakes that they only have time for the Cliff's Notes version of character development. Everything is conveyed in broad strokes. Especially when you're juggling 10 or so protagonists. (Not to mention the lack of lasting consequences - they couldn't even keep Coulson dead!)

I much prefer comic books to be adapted into television series, where there is time for character development - The Spectacular Spider-ManAgent Carter, Jessica Jones,  etc. TV is the best place for comic book style storytelling.

Spectacular Spider-Man was... Well, spectacular. I wish season 3 wasn't cancelled .

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

TVs Frink said:
Well we disagree because I think TFA had a great story (if you consider it Rey's and Kylo's story, which I do) but Disney also needed to make money.  All studios have to make money or they don't make movies.

Well then, let's just agree to disagree :)

Anyway, I am surprised to see this much people that don't like the MCU as much. Not that it's abnormal, I was just expecting more people here to praise it. No matter.

DigModiFicaTion said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
TVs Frink said:
Oh yeah I forgot about how bad Iron Man ended.  It was a 9/10 most of the way through and a 2/10 at the end.

giphy.gif

Are you two referring to IM1 or IM3? I think I fast forwarded through most of IM3 and eventually just turned it off. In IM1, the ending scenes with Jeff Bridges are ridiculous,  but I liked the abrupt ending.

I was talking about IM1.  I don't remember the abrupt ending you're talking about, all I remember was ridiculous (and boring) action.

DigModiFicaTion said:

I was referring to IM1, and specifically the Jeff Bridges fight. I didn't watch the sequels. Not really of interest to me, and the end of IM1 was enough to abort.

Masirimso17 said:
TVs Frink said:
Well we disagree because I think TFA had a great story (if you consider it Rey's and Kylo's story, which I do) but Disney also needed to make money.  All studios have to make money or they don't make movies.

Well then, let's just agree to disagree :)

Anyway, I am surprised to see this much people that don't like the MCU as much. Not that it's abnormal, I was just expecting more people here to praise it. No matter.

No praise, just the same discussion that comes up any time someone asks peoples' opinions on a given company's films. 
1 "I like them" 
2 "I do not" 
3 "I feel somewhere in the middle"
4 Repeat.

To answer the thread title question: subjective yes, ymmv.

Owning up to a little hypocrisy, I bought the BluRay of Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut on Black Friday. I figured it was worth Best Buy's $3.99 shipped price to see if it was salvageable. I passed on the $7.99 BluRays of CA: Civil War and XM:Apocalypse deals though. Too high of a price for Marvel movies :p

DigModiFicaTion said:
Owning up to a little hypocrisy, I bought the BluRay of Days of Future Past: Rogue Cut on Black Friday. I figured it was worth Best Buy's $3.99 shipped price to see if it was salvageable. I passed on the $7.99 BluRays of CA: Civil War and XM:Apocalypse deals though. Too high of a price for Marvel movies :p

Whoa, okay.  Marvel films I agree.  But the first two X-Men and “X-Men: Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut” form a wonderful trio of films, I must say!

Canon Editor said:
Whoa, okay.  Marvel films I agree.  But the first two X-Men and “X-Men: Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut” form a wonderful trio of films, I must say!

That's what I'm hoping (currently watching DoFP). I remember when X-MEN came out in the theaters. It got the Rogue story so wrong, but it nailed Logan almost perfectly. X2 was ok for me, but X3 was just flat out bad. Minus a few scenes I'm finding that I am enjoying DoFP. Kind of wishing I had wasted that $7.99 on Apocolypse...

*EDIT*
Just finished watching the movie. I must say, this is one of the better superhero movies that isn't really about superheroes. It's an odd departure from the story it was loosely based on, but the characters and struggles were presented well. The sentinels were too grotesque in their violence for me. Definitely hit R-Rated when the sentinels mutilated the mutants in the beginning and end of the movie. These were more like the Nimrod robot or Thor's Destroyer than sentinels. Pretty hideous looking cgi for the old and upgraded sentinels. That aside, I did love the themes of trust and loyalty and that best is good enough. I also loved the ending. This was a perfect capstone and clarification on why Xaviere is so loyal to Logan for me. I only wish that Apocalypse would have followed this new time line and brought the old cast back. I would have loved to see an apocalypse movie with Cable and Bishop in it. I'm not a fan of the the new line up. In particular, I don't like how they make Mystique into an X-MEN and I really just don't care for Jennifer Lawrence's acting.

Anyway, back on topic. This movie is a good MCU movie, for fanediting :p

Whoa, wait.  X-Men isn’t Marvel Cinematic Universe.  

Anyways, yes, this is a FANTASTIC film because it is like the “old” superhero films which, up to Iron Man and including The Dark Knight Trilogy, were FILMS first of all, and for better and for worse they were Tim Burton’s, Sam Raimi’s or CheistopherNolan’s films before being anything else.

TVs Frink said:
Canon Editor said:

Look, I don't know (or care) about comic books, but...

http://marvel.com/characters/71/x-men

???

MCU specifically refers to Marvel Studios' cinematic universe. Marvel sold the rights to a bunch of characters to stay afloat back in the day, which is why Fox owns X-Men, F4 and Deadpool, Sony did own Spidey, etc. Those are all Marvel movies (in the sense that they are Marvel comic characters) but are not a part of the MCU. This thread is about the Marvel Studios films. Can't blame Marvel for Fox making a shit Fantastic Four movie, for example.

thecuddlyninja said:
Canon Editor said:
MCU specifically refers to Marvel Studios' cinematic universe. Marvel sold the rights to a bunch of characters to stay afloat back in the day, which is why Fox owns X-Men, F4 and Deadpool, Sony did own Spidey, etc. Those are all Marvel movies (in the sense that they are Marvel comic characters) but are not a part of the MCU. This thread is about the Marvel Studios films. Can't blame Marvel for Fox making a shit Fantastic Four movie, for example.

In that case, I will choose #2 I do not (think they are good films) from @"addiesin"'s opinion list and wash my hands of the MCU

small question.
what is the ant-man 1987 flashback I keep seeing in several timelines.?
I know the prologue is set in 1989

jswert123456 said:
small question.

Could it be Janet's shrinking to subatomic scene? I'm not sure. You can Google it.

Masirimso17 said:
jswert123456 said:
small question.

Could it be Janet's shrinking to subatomic scene? I'm not sure. You can Google it.

i tried,  not getting much info on that so far.
been working on a chronological edit of everything, flashbacks from every single show ad movie
all put in right order as est as I can.

Yeah, it's the action flashback where Janet is lost.

Back
Top Bottom