• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Aquaman: De-Marvelized Edition

DriggyDriggs said:
Another note...I think I'm pretty much going to leave the Sicily marketplace scene alone apart from one change: I'm cutting the Pinocchio book. Now the scene ends after she stares at him.

That's exactly how I would handle that scene as well. The book is too much of a coincidence, but everything else about the scene works well. The Roy Orbison song used in that scene is the one song in the movie that I found to actually elevate the scene it is in rather than detract from it.

Love what you are doing!!!  Very impressive.

So technical question... what editing software are you using and how were you able to isolate/remove the musical soundtrack?  Does the blu-ray have a clean centre channel?

Using Sony Vegas and no there wasn't a clean center track so I'm having to remove the sound altogether  and rebuild a lot of sound fx from stock stuff and recording them from scratch. Not currently doing this in 5.1 (I don't have surround at home) so that makes it a bit easier.

On the manta suit montage I'm still polishing it and adding a couple more sounds.

Using Sony Vegas. Was able to isolate it in some places using the 5.1 track, but there are a couple of spots I couldn't (like during the verse of the pit bull song his lyrics are partially in one of the other tracks) and had to use new sound fx.

The Depeche Mode song does the same thing. Where the lyrics are on the same track as the sound fx. So ALL the sound has to be redone there.

Spent hours yesterday polishing up the Sahara and Manta Suit stuff. I'm going to take a stab at the Sicily scene music tonight just to play around with it and see if I can make it feel a little less rom-com. Maybe even cut the flower eating. Might not work, but I'll let y'all know.

Update: Since I didn't really feel strongly one way or the other, I was able to cut Mera eating the rose, but decided to keep the existing song intact because it actually fits the scene better than anything else I could find. I didn't mind the rose thing, but apparently my sappy ass was the only one since I've had several people here and on Twitter tell me they didn't like it.  :p

I like the rose bit.

Think of it this way: Arthur, as powerful as he is in many ways and as well as he understands the surface world, is out of his element in Atlantis, not knowing its ways. Mera, on the other hand, is very adept at navigating the underwater world, but is a "fish out of water" on the surface. Each learns more about the other's world through each other. They mirror each other. 

The rose bit highlights how unfamiliar Mera is with the surface world, much like how certain scenes highlight how unfamiliar Arthur is with Atlantean society. If anything, Arthur is the one whose learning curve is most emphasized, as Mera is the one who generally comes across as more competent (due to how much of the movie takes place in the ocean). To cut the rose-eating would be to cut one of the few moments in which the degree to which Mera is out of her element is emphasized. This bit of vulnerability adds to her character.

I kind of agree, but I wish they'd gotten that idea across differently. Seems like a moment that would fit better in The Little Mermaid.

DriggyDriggs said:
Which one do you guys think works better?

I never thought i'd say it as Depeche Mode come from my home town where i grew up and i went to the same school as Dave Gahan but i think the second track works better. The music fits the scene perfectly.

UPDATE 1: Cut a small line of dialogue during the sub scene: after his dad tells him he needs to live, he says "so you can kill that son of a bitch!" There's nothing too wrong with the line other than being pretty on the nose. I just didn't really care for his delivery. The scene carries more impact without it.

UPDATE 2: Color grading is done, which means I'm pretty much done with the edit!

Currently rendering, but because of the color grading it's gonna take a long time. Should be done rendering tomorrow and if all looks and sounds good, we can call it done after that. I'll keep everyone updated.

UPDATE: Did my first watch-through of the edit. A couple of shots on the submarine were too dark and I noticed two more things I wanted to cut that always made me cringe a little: 

• Cut the exchange with his mother about needing a hero instead of a king. It was just way too on the nose. Now she asks him if he's afraid, he says yes, she tells him he's ready, then he goes in. We don't need to be spoon-fed the hero theme. We get it.
  • Cut Mera's "People of Atlantis" speech at the end. Her delivery was so cringy and forced she wasn't selling it. So now after they take away Orm, Nereus starts a "Hail to the King" chant and the moment doesn't seem as forced as before.
Anyway, re-rendering for another watch.

Okay. This fan edit is done! My only issue now is I need help with cover art. I really suck at designing stuff like that. Anyone any good with that?

i will have something created tonight
after i get home from work.

Someone I follow on Twitter retweeted a negative post regarding this edit. Seems some people are up in arms about it. I haven't seen reactions like this to any other DC edits, so I'm really sorry that this is happening to you.

jrWHAG42 said:
Someone I follow on Twitter retweeted a negative post regarding this edit. Seems some people are up in arms about it. I haven't seen reactions like this to any other DC edits, so I'm really sorry that this is happening to you.

Likewise. I think a lot of us on the forum are very excited and optimistic about this edit!

Back
Top Bottom