• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Apocalypto: The Legend of Jaguar Paw (V.1.0 Available)

moved.

The BTTF edit is in the pending approval section. What's going on with that? Is it not being reviewed anymore?

Yes it is being reviewed @"That One Guy"  will still be able to view it even though it's archived won't he? I was under the impression prending approval was effectively counted as one ITW thread.

Watched my rough cut last night the introdution of Jaguar Paw and his friends suffers a bit from my attempts to keep dialogue so minimal, may have to rethink the opening to find the middle ground between economy while still allowing the viewer to connect with the protaganist. 

Main focus of the edit will still be stripping it purely to its chase thriller/family drama elements with as little dialogue as possible. I think a 105 runtime (129 originally minus credits) is about right for that.. not that theres anything wrong with the original.  I was only intending on using subtitles in 2 scenes but that may stretch to 3 with the introduction now.

First bit of footage to share just a small scene where I've sliced some dialogue away and made a few shaves.  Think it demonstrates well how needless dialogue is in this film.

I've watched a fair amout of the movie without subtitles and I guess I'm biased having seen the movie before but if feels more authentic without them imo, there would probably be about 40-50 lines to create for my version.  I was gonna hardcode the few subs 'needed?' but I think I will just create an srt file and make it an optional thing. 

He gets up at the end a little quicker than I would like so that will need fixing

original version

Just a little cover photo for your edit
28sya68.jpg

The goalposts shifting quite a lot on this edit, as I haven't been able to completely cull dialogue I've ended up manually subbing in Vegas what's left so it will be hardcoded in the edit. To give you an idea of how much dialogue remains there was 450 odd lines in the original movie and its down to about 200 now but a lot of that is stuff like 'Run!'  'Help!' 'Get him!' so there is actually very little dialogue in the edit.

I have questioned why I'm bothering doing this edit if I couldn't achieve what I set out to do originally as there is absolutely nothing wrong with the theatrical version of this film.  Having said that I think this edit is definitely more palatable to those who would turn their noses up at a 140 minute foreign language film about Mayan villagers.  The current edit runs 103mins plus credits  and does away with some of the mysticism and spiritual side of the original film (thats in the original so no point making it similar).  Basically its a balls to the wall 15th Century version of The Fugitive now which is kinda cool I guess. :)

Also trying to think of an alternate subtitle: 'Legend' is a little grandiose, Considered 'Dawn of Jaguar Paw' 'Hunt for Jaguar Paw' etc want something really that signifies his transition from young hunter to warrior.

i'm still holding out hope you'll pen ridiculous subtitles.
that would be a joy to watch.

ssj said:
i'm still holding out hope you'll pen ridiculous subtitles.
that would be a joy to watch.

Just for you SSJ you have a Sinbad guarantee there will be a Some Like it Tropical version!

yes! gimme some of that british humor, badly sinning man.

Its a done deal!!

Taliking of British humour I don't know whether you are familiar with my avatar Alan Partridge but I did do a Star Wars edit (the only one I will ever do) not that I don't like it I hasten to add. It s only 4 minutes don't worry but worth sharing as you liked my Total Recall Recut :)

haha. excellent selection of new dialogue, sinbad—i heard a partridge in a sith tree.

Got a preview version of this completed now, still think it needs something to differentiate it a little more from the orginal version but struggling for inspiration at the moment.

Preview Version 111  Minutes (103 minus credits) Original Version 139 Mins

Will edit this with a cut list when I get chance

Updated first post with cutlist

A few small tweaks to this since the preview version, feeling like a final version pending any fixes, suggestions from feedback.

sinbad, if you need another pair of preview eyes, preeze let me know.

@"ssj" 

Im gonna resub the high priest scene for ya, Im thinking he could be presenting a daytime cooking program sommat like that. Will post in this thread when I've done it.

Will PM you in a bit when I can get to my PC.

You should add ending credits of Indian Jones and company emerging from the jungle and arriving at the temple from KotCS just to mess with people.

Well i was just gonna resub one scene for a little 2-3 minute vid on this thread but your IJ idea has got me juices flowing haha! :D

Back
Top Bottom