• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Alien: Darksteel Cut

darksteel1335

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rulPRYi.jpg

"Perfect Organism"

This subtle edit is not groundbreaking because I am using a less is more approach. This is a simple hybrid of the theatrical and director's cut. I prefer the director's cut because its modern pacing but there were a couple additions and subtractions that always bothered me. I feel this is the best way to experience the best of both versions. Using the director's cut as a base, I have used footage from both versions to create happy middle-ground between them which should please those who can't decide which to watch. I have also fixed visual issues from the director's cut so that it's visually consistent and more appealing to watch.

New Runtime: 114 minutes
Original Runtime: 115 minutes​

Cuts:
12:39 - Cut crew listening to transmission scene
1:06:47 - Cut shot of xenomorph hanging up high waiting to kill Brett because it spoils the surprise to come

Additions:
1:02:11 to 1:05:58 - used theatrical version for Brett-looking-for-cat scene
49:20 to 50:19 - used theatrical version of Ripley-arguing-with-Dallas scene (adding back Ripley not trusting Ash)

Fixes:
14:39 to 14:42 - stabilised shot of Nostromo approaching LV-426
36:08 to 36:48 - regraded shot of Lambert slapping Ripley outside surgery
1:15:50 to 1:15:53 - reframed shot of Ripley looking at Lambert to match the previous shot
1:21:51 to 1:22:04 - regraded shots of Ash’s head being prepped for interrogation
1:25:29 to 1:25:35 - replaced shot of ship being prepped due to last frame turning green
1:40:55 to 1:40:59 - regraded part of shot of ship window as Ripley escapes Nostromo

Shots replaced with theatrical transfer:
7:46 to 7:52 - Parker telling Dallas he’s finishing his coffee
9:37 to 9:39 - Lambert in cockpit
12:32 to 12:39 - Dallas asking Parker “you got that?”, Parker responding “yeah” and Dallas saying “we’re going in”.
12:51 to 13:02 - Ash and Dallas on ship
13:10 to 13:16 - Dallas and Ripley on ship
13:29 to 13:31 - Dallas on ship
13:50 to 13:52 - Dallas disengaging ship
14:01 to 14:05 - Dallas starting ship up
23:02 to 23:28 - Ripley on the ship with her cat
24:19 to 24:22 - Ash observing alien ship on monitor
24:25 to 24:29 - Ash observing alien ship on monitor
25:12 to 25:23 - Ash talking to crew and observing alien ship on monitor
25:29 to 25:36 - Ash viewing crew camera footage
25:54 to 25:57 - Ash viewing crew camera footage
29:34 to 30:02 - Ripley telling Ash that Mother deciphered the transmission
36:05 to 36:08 - Dallas and Ash in surgery
36:48 to 36:57 - Dallas and Ash in surgery
36:57 to 37:00 - crew observing surgery
37:00 to 37:31 - Ash and Dallas operating on Kane
41:48 to 45:41 - Ash and Ripley in surgery
45:24 to 45:49 - Dallas being told by Ash to check on Kane
50:43 to 50:48 - Parker and Brett on ship during take off
50:59 to 51:06 - Lambert and Ripley on ship during take off
51:16 to 51:20 - Ripley on ship during take off
51:31 to 51:35 - Parker, Brett and Ripley on ship during take off
51:42 to 51:48 - Parker, Dallas and Ripley on ship during take off
51:57 to 52:54 - Crew discussing what to do with Kane
56:07 to 56:20 - Ash and the crew watching the baby Alien escape after killing Kane
1:05:58 to 1:06:41 - cat about to be caught and xenomorph coming up behind Brett
1:06:58 to 1:07:23 - cat watching after Brett was killed and Parker telling crew what happened to Brett
1:08:30 to 1:08:48 - Lambert and crew being instructed by Dallas
1:14:52 to 1:15:43 - Parker, Ripley and Ash talking after Dallas was killed by alien
1:15:46 to 1:15:50 - Ripley and Lambert looking at each other
1:15:57 to 1:17:45 - Ripley speaking to Mother and Ash surprising her
1:17:45 to 1:18:26 - Ripley trying to escape Ash
1:22:04 to 1:22:07 - Ripley slamming on table to wake up Ash
1:24:41 to 1:27:12 - Ripley, Parker and Lambert prepping for escape
1:40:11 to 1:40:55 - Ripley taking off from Nostromo
1:40:59 to 1:41:02 - Ripley looking at Nostromo
1:41:10 to 1:41:23 - Ripley being blasted with light from the destruction of Nostromo

If you are interested in checking out some of the edit watch these clips:

Last edited:
I can't wait to check this out. Alien is one a film I consider perfect, and I'm always up for new fanedits in whatever form they take.

The changelist sounds perfect. I feel like this has potential to become my new go-to version of the film.

I can't wait to check this out. Alien is one a film I consider perfect, and I'm always up for new fanedits in whatever form they take.

The changelist sounds perfect. I feel like this has potential to become my new go-to version of the film.
Agreed. The changes are very basic but certainly improved the film for me. Since you say its finished I won't point out a couple of things but I would say that it's ready to be reviewed. Thanks for sharing your art with me. Good luck!

I believe Rangerkris is reviewing this edit for approval.

Last edited:
Of course, but I don't think there are any technical issues with it.
Your enthusiasm and confidence is duly noted and respected. However, I would go in realizing that the possibility of technical issues may exist. I am helping a highly respected editor get an epic edit ready for a December release and have found a few things that I didn't notice on my first few views. I bought professional quality headphones and a far superior monitor. I'm amazed at what jumps out at me now. I'm just saying, have an open mind to objective critique.

I understand where you two are coming from. I'll await the review to see what changes are required. The only change I have considered is removing the Dallas egg scene for continuity reasons. Aliens is my next fan edit submission which is ready to go.

You may be correct. We may find nothing that needs to be improved. Congratulations on moving forward with your passion for fanediting while you wait to be approved. That's a positive step in the right direction. Are you going to start a thread so that you can receive member feedback or put it out blind once we approve your Alien edit? Feedback, even if you don't implement it, has a purpose.

My fan edits are meant to be simple enough to give people a best middle-ground option between theatrical and extended cuts of the Alien franchise. The vast majority of changes have been criticised by a decent amount of the fandom, hence why I have removed them. I guess I am open to some feedback but I'm not sure what could be added.

Your edits may be exactly that and no changes required. It's happened. I really enjoyed your first edit but I watched it for narrative enjoyment. I think Rangerkris will be reviewing to approve. Their feedback will be fair and objective.

Last edited:
rulPRYi.jpg

I have lurked here for a long time while making fan edits in the shadows and never releasing them. This will be my very first submission with many more to come.

This very subtle edit is not groundbreaking because I am using a less is more approach with this one. This just a simple hybrid of the theatrical and director's cut. I always liked the director's cut because it was more finely tuned but there were a couple additions and subtractions that always bothered me so I feel this is the best way to experience the best of both versions. So using the director's cut as a base, I have made some adjustments using both versions to create happy middle-ground between the two edits that should please many who can't decide which to watch.

Change list:
- Cut crew listening to transmission scene
- Added Ripley's line about not trusting Ash back from the theatrical cut
- Replaced footage of the first half of the Brett looking for cat scene with theatrical version for preferred colour grading
- Removed shot of xenomorph hanging up high waiting to kill Brett because it spoils the surprise to come
- Fixed the last frame of the escape ship being prepped because it went green

My edit has already been completed so I am not looking for feedback with this edit. I look forward to sharing it with you all when it has been approved.

Hi there, I'll help review this one. Will PM you

This editor has made the changes necessary to consider this edit approved. A second set of eyes verified that the issues that weren't corrected are present in the source material. Congratulations, @darksteel1335! Now let's check out that Avengers edit!

This editor has made the changes necessary to consider this edit approved. A second set of eyes verified that the issues that weren't corrected are present in the source material. Congratulations, @darksteel1335! Now let's check out that Avengers edit!
Thank you @ArtisDead for being so incredibly patient with me. I have been struggling the past several months looking after my partner who is due to give birth to my first child in a couple weeks.

Once things settle I will try to return to my Infinity War edit so it's ready for submission. I am neurodivergent having both ADHD and currently being assessed for ASD, so it will take time adapting to raising a baby and having time to finish it. This is my first major fanedit and I want it to be perfect. Please be patient with me, good things come to those who wait.

Absolutely, you're a faneditor now. Take all the time you need. When you are ready, I will be more than happy to preview it. You don't need anyone's approval to submit an edit now. Speaking of which, we need to get your IFDB page filled out so you can go live this week. I will pm the details. Again...congratulations!

Last edited:
It doesnt really looks like FanMix to me. I'd say FanFix.

Back
Top Bottom